Lighting Sizing drivers, Series vs paralell - by BigSm0

The fans are low voltage compared to the cobs, but yeah, you can run DC fans from the DC output driver. I'm actually using cheap Chinese drivers to run my fans with no issues, and Mean Well HLG drivers for my cobbies. So basically just know the output of a given driver, and find a fan that works with that. The fans I got are all 12V DC, and the Mean Well driver for 12v fans that people are using is only like $9 or $10 and it will run like 5 or 6 fans. And also, it's the same deal as KAHBS. You can go series or parallel depending on what you are trying to do, just stay within specs of a given driver/ fan combo. Cobs?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The fans are low voltage compared to the cobs, but yeah, you can run DC fans from the DC output driver. I'm actually using cheap Chinese drivers to run my fans with no issues, and Mean Well HLG drivers for my cobbies. So basically just know the output of a given driver, and find a fan that works with that. The fans I got are all 12V DC, and the Mean Well driver for 12v fans that people are using is only like $9 or $10 and it will run like 5 or 6 fans. And also, it's the same deal as KAHBS. You can go series or parallel depending on what you are trying to do, just stay within specs of a given driver/ fan combo. Cobs?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
They should work then, thanks.
I've got four 1212s mounted to active heatsinks that aren't wired up, passive air movement within the setup manages the heat but I have a small driver salvaged from a mars unit that should run all four fans if wired up.
Its stated output is dc 40v -52v (0.069-0.72a) the fans are 12v 0.2a. I'm assuming its not too much for them.

Hi,
Ive Ive ordered few led strips and driver...

Only just realised that I've probably went for bad driver...

I've ordered few strips that have Vf = 28V And their Max Current is 540 mA.

I went for HLG-150-24-B and I think I should go for HLG-150-24--A instead.

Do you guys think that it will work?

0.8V different there

Cheers

Hi,
Ive Ive ordered few led strips and driver...

Only just realised that I've probably went for bad driver...

I've ordered few strips that have Vf = 28V And their Max Current is 540 mA.

I went for HLG-150-24-B and I think I should go for HLG-150-24--A instead.

Do you guys think that it will work?

0.8V different there

Cheers
That driver puts out 6300ma, that's about 12 times more current than one of those strips can handle. I would personally wire pairs in parallel to get 1050ma and use a C series driver like the HLG-185h-c1050b. Each pair will be 24v/1050ma. Wire each parallel pair in a big series circuit. The current will be fixed at 1050ma and you could run between 4 and 8 pairs for a total of 8 - 16 strips. That's how I would do it. And the HLG series Meanies have the A and B version. The difference is that the A version has a built in screwdriver pot and the B series uses an external, not supplied 0-10v, PCM, or 100k ohm resistance potentiometer. The B version has more options for dimming. Also there is the CC drivers and the CV drivers. Normally CC drivers are wired in series as a circuit and CV drivers are wired in parallel as a whole. I say as a whole because you can combine techniques like I stated above, but it's how the power crosses the driver positive and negative that determines what kind of circuit it is. Don't blow shit up.... lol.

There called KAAHBS Joe

Thank you for info.

I have 12 of them and would like to drive them @450mA each as that's where they supposed to be most efficient...
Hopefully will be able to run them with driver I've ordered.

Otherwise will have to sell it and get HLG-C one.

12*0.50A=6A total
6A*24.8V=144W total so 150W should be capable to run them.
However with b version I won't be able to tweak voltage to 24.8V so not sure if that's gonna be problem.
It is a must for me to be able to dim it.

Last edited:
What exactly did you get?

There called KAAHBS Joe

Screenshot_20180308-111247.jpg

That's the only one foot strips that they had in stock... It's my first attempt to go with strips.
If it works alrite I'm going to have the longest strips and put them on the cage inside my grow room

Screenshot_20180307-070853.png

edit:
Just found this and it answered question:

Screenshot_20180308-202241.jpg
It will work. Just on 24V that mean somewhere around @400mA ish

Last edited:
Hello. Been lurking in the shadows for a couple of months but am now ready to try my hand at cobs. I have 5 Citizen Clu48-1212 i would like to drive at around 60 amps piece in series. What driver would be best for this.

Can someone explain the difference between meanwell hlg serie and hlg c-serie???

Why is hlg 185h-c1050 rated at 186watt when
The c-serie 185h-c1050 is rated at 200w?

I cannot seem to find info on this is it just that c-serie rate what can be pulled from wall and hlg serie rate what can be supplied to leds...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230706_050348_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20230706_050348_Brave.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 7
  • foto_no_exif (3).jpg
    foto_no_exif (3).jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 7
Back