Extraction Slug33 FatMac 3.6g Rosin forge

The Iconoclast

Smoke Cannabis Live with Friends on AFN
Reaction score
I just bought one, should be here in a couple of weeks and then I'll do some testing in this thread. Meanwhile, anyone around here using one. I'm curious to see how heavily frosted but lots of loose sugar leaves, perform.

Because this model is a big chunk of steel I thought maybe I can use boiling water to get it almost up to temperature.

h

Should be here in a couple of days, I am seriously pumped for this so much so that I tried pressing something in the vice, I used the top of my weed grinder as a base and a 200g weight as a press that I heated with a blowtorch. I tried a 0.25g IMG_6804.jpg and used a blowtorch IMG_6806.jpg seemed to work OK. IMG_6808.jpg IMG_6812.jpg which made a decent size dab, so this is just manual and guessing everything. I tried a half gram and it did not work very well IMG_6818.jpg so it's obvious that the quantity must be tuned to the press.

After rewatching all the videos, a crucial step is mostly not shown due to the close up, but on all the slugs from the small one to the Fat Mac, right near the end of the press the last quarter inch the outside cylinder of the Slug will pop up, when this is seen in close up it appears that the pressure has been released but this is not what happens.

So it seems the correct technique is (with this 4 min slug) to heat for four minutes while slowly depressing the plunger and when there's about a quarter of an inch left to go that's when the rosin should begin to flow and then the last part is pressed over the next 40 seconds or whatever.

What the video in the O.P and see at around 5:30 it has the last little bit and it is slowly being squeezed then at 5:44 you see the cylinder pop up, then you press the final few millimetres. It seems pretty fool proof and repeatable, with this new insight into how it works I'm expecting to get a good result first time, we'll see next week.

Here's the pop up thing shown more clearly on the small slug. It happens at 1:52

Last edited:
It has arrived and it comes in an appropriately industrial, just off the factory floor look, still with some cutting oil and a tiny bit of burr here and there, it's safely packaged and wrapped not that it would be able to be damaged. No fancy packing and all that other bullshit here. This is straight from the village blacksmith.

Long story short first, does it work as advertised. Yes. After the learning curve. I gave it three goes without success, following the instructions for heating. However the maker was happy to work with me to suss it out. There is definitely a technique and more than a technique a knack. I feel that I'm going to get better at this.

After I got my technique down I was able to extract about 12% from some white widow that was harvested only four days ago, it had small nuggety buds so it dried fast. I know I could get more out of this but even if I only get 15% at this quality, I'm pretty pleased.

Quality. It is superb. I'm sure that you can burn it, and I'll probably burn it eventually as I find out the limits. The two lots I've made so far are rich with terpene smells and not runny at all and a bit cloudy. The smoke is so smooth I cannot believe it, huge clouds with no coughing at all which is unusual for me. Of the two lots there was a small difference in heating time and both are slightly different colours although neither is better, they are both excellent.

Here's a shot of about a gram of extraction I will post more details later...

IMG_6975.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6966.jpg
    IMG_6966.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_6974.jpg
    IMG_6974.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 284
I couldn't resist I had to do another one, this is fun. I'm getting .4 consistently now and I reckon there's more to get out of it, but the quality, is absolutely amazing. I've been pretty jacked off with my Firefly2 because it only works for weed if all the stars align, the weed has to be the exact right chunkiness and relative humidity, but with concentrates, it's in a league of its own the pad is a superfine mesh that just absorbs the dab like blotting paper. It's a tough draw and uneven with weed but at 500F it's absolutely perfect for sampling the flavour of a concentrate, and I was concerned that it does appear to look hot but really it isn't as hot as it seems, the bubbling is just air being pumped out because there's a silicone seal in the plunger. Anyway even the oil that was still on the actual slug that I left on till it cooled, was full of flavour.

The actual tactile experience of twisting the handle and pushing the plunger down so slowly is very zen like, (45 degrees equals one mm) it's like riding a motorbike whereas a normal press is more like a car. The last one I did I purposely tried to overdo the heating, but it still did not overheat, there was a little bit of chewiness in part of the puck but most seemed nice and dry but not burned. But even at this quantity I'm pretty happy with it, I love that I just stuff the weed right in.

The instructions as per the video regarding the timing is way wrong for me, I start with the slug and it's bits in boiling water, I tip it out onto a towel and it's dry almost instantly, and I pack it like that using a glove to hold the plunger, it packs much better and easier like this too. From this point after it was packed it still took another four minutes of blowtorch. So that explains why I got no result at first.

As time goes on I'll do different extractions in this thread, I'm mainly interested in how it processes larfy fluffy stuff that is still very resinous.

I bought a slug and wasted over a zone trying to get it to work. I never had the result you got. Retirement is where the slug sits today. May try your boil method next harvest.

Back