Spectrum - Switching light source mid-run

Gdiddydank

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
I read from credible sources that switching from one type of light to another (HPS to LED OR vice verse, for example) during a plants life can be problematic. Other times it can be advantageous - but that more pertains to adjusting the spectrum of similar sources (switching from MH to HPS when switching to flower photos, for example).

I’m specifically interested in the effects of vegging under some old blurple LED’s and then switching them over to full spectrum LED for flower. my reason for wanting to do this is to fully utilize the equipment that I have on hand.

does anybody have experience with this or credible sources of knowledge on the topic. I’m familiar with Bruce Bugbee and have learned much of what I know from his research... He’s definitely published work on spectrum but I don’t recall him ever covering this specifically.

please and thanks!

I read from credible sources that switching from one type of light to another (HPS to LED OR vice verse, for example) during a plants life can be problematic. Other times it can be advantageous - but that more pertains to adjusting the spectrum of similar sources (switching from MH to HPS when switching to flower photos, for example).

I’m specifically interested in the effects of vegging under some old blurple LED’s and then switching them over to full spectrum LED for flower. my reason for wanting to do this is to fully utilize the equipment that I have on hand.

does anybody have experience with this or credible sources of knowledge on the topic. I’m familiar with Bruce Bugbee and have learned much of what I know from his research... He’s definitely published work on spectrum but I don’t recall him ever covering this specifically.

please and thanks!
I'm unsure bro but I'm very interested in what you find out also @Mañ'O'Green or maybe @pop22 may have more of an idea

Reactions: JP1
I don't see any reason for there to be a major affect. Unlike taking plant outdoors that have been started indoors, your not exposing them to a major increase in light levels, just a spectrum shift. Going from a burple to a modern LED system, I'd simply hang the new light higher and lower it to proper height over a day or two.
I understand your desire to make use of those old burples, but IMO, they are best reserved for emergency use, many of those light are actually less efficient that the HPS they were suppose to replace! 25-30% efficiency compared to modern lights in the 55-60% range. They evolved that much.

I'd donate them to a new grower to get started with, it's what I do.

please and thanks!

please and thanks!
@Gdiddydank :welcome:Welcome to AFN:welcome: What kind of problem? If you are providing 42 + DLI the plants will grow and be fine. The shape of the plant is controlled mostly by genetics but can be influenced by the amount of blue or red light. I have grown under all types of light and the only problem I ever encountered was not having enough PPFD.

please and thanks!
Yep my veg cab is a cheap blurple led ,an my grow room is quantum boards ,cmh ,an hps.

100% ok to switch IMO. I once grew over 100 pepper plants in a tent with only blurple lights, and then put them out into the field in full sun. They were stressed at first but acclimated within a day.

thanks for the input, all. One of th reasons I was concerned was that I vegged with these lights one time (they are 150w viparspectras from like 6 years ago) and I seemed to get some strange Veg growth... like the largest fan leaves I’ve ever seen in my life... freakishly big... and the intermodal spacing was much more than normal.

unfortunately I had to abort that particular run so I never got to see how things would play out in flower.

ive actually been trying to sell these to my brother. Lol. I’ve got a dozen Fluence Spydr fixtures in my garage waiting for me to find the time to show them some love. A few new some minor repairs but most just need a driver. Not enough time in the day or money in the bank yano (each of those fluence drivers are $600!!!)

Hello!

I recently listened to a kis organic podcast where a facility did a bunch of trials on this very subject. I was looking back but can't remember which one it was from.

If I remember correctly (and i do not guarantee to be) the ones that went from a HPS or a CHM to a high powered led show signs of stress, but not enough to worry about.

The plants that went from LED to the other had no effect. These studies were done on Photoperiod plants.

It has more to do with the led lights putting out a higher output and your total DLI.

You can definitely do it. Like pop mentioned, why not just put the blurples away? If you new light is really better, you will probably have much better results using that one the whole ride.

If you want to do it just to be able to grow more plants, then hell ya go for it.

I had 2 Vipar Spectra lights. I took them down ad used them for target practice............ one had so much blue it was ridiculous!

thanks for the input, all. One of th reasons I was concerned was that I vegged with these lights one time (they are 150w viparspectras from like 6 years ago) and I seemed to get some strange Veg growth... like the largest fan leaves I’ve ever seen in my life... freakishly big... and the intermodal spacing was much more than normal.

unfortunately I had to abort that particular run so I never got to see how things would play out in flower.

ive actually been trying to sell these to my brother. Lol. I’ve got a dozen Fluence Spydr fixtures in my garage waiting for me to find the time to show them some love. A few new some minor repairs but most just need a driver. Not enough time in the day or money in the bank yano (each of those fluence drivers are $600!!!)

Back