Stoner Thoughts and question on medical marijuana

AFNG

Smoke Cannabis Live with Friends on AFN
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
So I'm sure you can all relate. You're laying in bed or sitting on the couch smoking away and all the greatest thoughts and ideas and perspectives come racing into your mind.

You wonder if anyone has ever had that thought and you blow your own mind lol.

So surprisingly I remember mine from last night lol.

I'm sure most can agree that marijuana is a pretty special plant with some pretty miraculous medicinal properties. Which got me thinking......

We don't have a lot of real research diving into this amazing plant that has been used for thousands of years. Breeding probably hasn't ever been as active as it is today.

So my question is how do we know if we are breeding these plants to be better or if we might actually be breeding some of the things that make it so special out of the plant? We seem to be focused on flavor, smells, and high THC. I'm sure like anything in life there are tradeoffs when you try to maximize a certain trait.

Just something that popped into my stoned head last night lol.

You look for different things in the selection process when breeding medical or rec. The vast majority of weed being bred is for the rec side of things.

That's not to say rec weed has no medical benefits, it's just bred to check the boxes for potheads, not specifically for muscle pain, arthritis etc.

Thinking your right, was always an avid smoker... 25 yrs ago I took 3 hits of NL from sensi seeds bank and could barely hold myself together. Sat on the couch watching THE WALL pink floyd panting and white knuckled cuz it hit me hard. Figured that was about 12-15% thc at that time... Now I grew gorilla girl this yr OD at about 23% est and never got near that kinda high. Don't know but your theory holds water!

So I'm sure you can all relate. You're laying in bed or sitting on the couch smoking away and all the greatest thoughts and ideas and perspectives come racing into your mind.

I'm sure most can agree that marijuana is a pretty special plant with some pretty miraculous medicinal properties. Which got me thinking......

We don't have a lot of real research diving into this amazing plant that has been used for thousands of years. Breeding probably hasn't ever been as active as it is today.

So my question is how do we know if we are breeding these plants to be better or if we might actually be breeding some of the things that make it so special out of the plant? We seem to be focused on flavor, smells, and high THC. I'm sure like anything in life there are tradeoffs when you try to maximize a certain trait.

That is the subject of an entire semester in Philosophy "There are no original thoughts". No we did not answer the question :rofl:.

This is why it is so important to try to save the heirloom varieties - so we can go back to the root genetics when needed.

AGREED!

Angus from The Real Seed company mentions genetic swamping destroying native wild varieties. Foreigners bring FOTM seeds that end up wrecking havoc and according to Angus, has left Asia with the most diverse gene pool.

We've bred cannabis into homogenization to some degree and the amount of landraces still surviving outside of asia are miniscule.

Back