Grow Room Tent Heating

Babalouie

Forest Doc
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
NYC Diesel, OG Kush, Canna-Cheese, Vidamints
As temps drop I'm finding that the overnight temp in the tent is dropping to around 67f and bringing the VDP to around 0.8-0.9. I'm looking to raise the temp to keep the RH down. I could close the room and run the heat pump or run the dehumidifier with the tent intake positioned on the dehumidifier exhaust. Both of those feel like a waste of energy and money though.

I was looking at heat mats, would be nice to have for seedlings anyway, but can they put out enough heat to raise the tent temp about 5 degrees? :shrug:

After this run I may flip the lights from being off overnight to being off during the warmest part of the day. Probably would be good to do that during the summer too.

So, what fixes have any of you gone with to keep winter temps in the tent in the Goldilocks zone?

Any direction is appreciated. :thumbsup:

Im doing the same with the lights out time I got heat mats in my tents they kinda work. But dont think they will really heat your tent up much. I see people use tube style heaters not sure what there from maybe a fish tank or something like that. But Im in the same boat. Need more heat then I get from the light and my heat mat. So Ill be watching to see what people come up with for my use too.

You need one of these, I have one running permanently just above the canopy and another one on the floor at half power to keep the pots happy. Each tube will raise the temperature about 5C, lots of the UK cultivators use them ;) you can also stack them as well if needed. @NORBY has a couple to and you can see his hanging in the middle of the tent.

dimplex.jpg

Im doing the same with the lights out time I got heat mats in my tents they kinda work. But dont think they will really heat your tent up much. I see people use tube style heaters not sure what there from maybe a fish tank or something like that. But Im in the same boat. Need more heat then I get from the light and my heat mat. So Ill be watching to see what people come up with for my use too.
If you can find the tube heaters, they are just what you need. They seem to be almost non-existent in North America though. It took me a couple of years to track a couple down here in Canada, and when I tried to get more, they were no longer stocking them. The two I got are 40 inches long and 180 watts apiece. If you find some post a link please and I will do the same.

If tube heaters are hard to find, I'd go with under floor heating, just sandwich it between a couple sheets of 2" poly insulation board. You can even use them behind the walls of the tent... No messing about this bad boy pumps out 200w.. You can even have a temp controller with it ;)

mat.jpg

Last edited:
Tube heaters are pretty much impossible to get in the US. I used a small electric radiator hooked up to an inkbird controller for years. Just lean a piece of foam insulation board on it to keep the plants away. Now I have a table in my tent so I have a small electric heater under the table hooked to the inkbird

When it gets really cold 0C and below, I have both tube heaters on max and then use my passive air-intake to draw hot air from a connected poly lung box. This houses an oil fired electric rad which will get me the temps I need as well as dramatically reducing the humidity during late flower when needed.

The tube heaters look great! Quick search and looks like @Buzzard and @JP1 are correct about them being difficult to source in the US. Seeing some 220V tubes but they aren't plug and play.

If tube heaters are hard to find, I'd go with under floor heating, just sandwich it between a couple sheets of 2" poly insulation board. You can even use them behind the walls of the tent... No messing about this bad boy pumps out 200w.. You can even have a temp controller with it ;)

View attachment 1644080
A radiant heat mat is an interesting idea. Will look a little deeper into wiring that up.

Image 11-7-23 at 5.04 PM.jpeg

This light chicken coop heater might work.

Gonna dive a little deeper. Will let you know what happens. Thanks for the input to get my mind going everyone!
:thanks:

If you can find the tube heaters, they are just what you need. They seem to be almost non-existent in North America though. It took me a couple of years to track a couple down here in Canada, and when I tried to get more, they were no longer stocking them. The two I got are 40 inches long and 180 watts apiece. If you find some post a link please and I will do the same.
I looked into them before and i couldnt find jack. that was a while ago and I didnt really need it like I do now. Growing in a garage instead of my room in my house. And will do if I come up with something

I looked into them before and i couldnt find jack. that was a while ago and I didnt really need it like I do now. Growing in a garage instead of my room in my house. And will do if I come up with something
I didn't find much in my brief search either. I don't need that much in my little 2x4, just that it's in a closet on an exterior wall in a room that isn't used constantly. A few degrees is all.

Just ordered this. Hangable, narrow profile and should be more than enough for the small space. I have an outlet for my ac infinity that's not being used so I'll be able to put it on a timer and shut it down if the temp goes too high. I'll let you know how it works out!

Image 11-7-23 at 5.43 PM.jpeg

Back