Gnome Automatics The STS (Silver Thiosulfate) Thread

FullDuplex

Gnome Grown
Staff member
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Website
gnomeautomatics.com
So the next journey for me is making some fem seeds. I am in the process of releasing the anvil and a few others in fem form.

To do this my first round will be done with STS (silver thiosulfate) and a how-to along with me attempting this method. CS is another method often used but takes more time and spray to make the magic happen.

Here we will see the process of sourcing the chems all the way to reversing the females to make the pollen.

For my first batch I was able to source the silver nitrate in liquid form that already meets the required dilution rate in molarity that’s needed for the recipe.

I will be using the following recipe for the soloition.
https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/technical-documents/protocols/biology/silver-thiosulfate.html

Sourced chems around 50$
61E28466-2C48-4710-BEBF-7DF690D7D4D4.jpeg
F622A793-E484-49E9-8AA3-F1E3B0D34B6D.jpeg

Also needed are some mixing bottles for the stock as well as storage and spraying. In dealing with any chemicals brown glass is perfered as it keeps light down as well as prolongs the life of the stock solutions.

Amazon has a great deal going on for 4 bottles and with that comes spray nozzles caps, labels, and a funnel. All were picked up for 15$
49E8452D-31E9-4C5B-8BEA-26A1DB4FE84C.jpeg

8D319619-1E66-4D30-BA54-328B63E53BC8.jpeg

You will also need a few syringes for measuring the stock and water as well as mixing containers to use when mixing chems.

I’ll post more items once they arrive and I begin the process. Hope to have you along!

pulling up a chair for this..Although , I understand the concept and how it works, I have a ways to go in understanding breeding..the do's and donts, along with understanding what is F1 F2, back breeding..etc...genetic lineage is all Greek to me

pulling up a chair for this..Although , I understand the concept and how it works, I have a ways to go in understanding breeding..the do's and donts, along with understanding what is F1 F2, back breeding..etc...genetic lineage is all Greek to me
Glad to have you along. There is tons of info on this on the web as far as sts goes however not a step by step actual growth journal on making it and using it and getting the male sacs on the female plant.

I wanna show those missing pieces and with that you’ll see part of my selection process. I’ll touch on some of what I look for without giving away too much. Just the right amount of info to help others without giving away my trade search query.

Glad to have you along. There is tons of info on this on the web as far as sts goes however not a step by step actual growth journal on making it and using it and getting the male sacs on the female plant.

I wanna show those missing pieces and with that you’ll see part of my selection process. I’ll touch on some of what I look for without giving away too much. Just the right amount of info to help others without giving away my trade search query.

Would never expect anyone to give complete trade secrets out, but I do commend you for sharing techniques!
I do have a question, and please keep in mind i'm not trying to scare anyone away from trying to make their own seeds.
The chemicals listed , although readily available via popular web purchase sites, one named after a rain forest and the other after a blood sucking parasite. I have read that those have been "tagged" by the not so friendly canna people, especially the silver thiosulfate ? How do you go about getting them with out flags going up? If you care to share.

Would never expect anyone to give complete trade secrets out, but I do commend you for sharing techniques!
I do have a question, and please keep in mind i'm not trying to scare anyone away from trying to make their own seeds.
The chemicals listed , although readily available via popular web purchase sites, one named after a rain forest and the other after a blood sucking parasite. I have read that those have been "tagged" by the not so friendly canna people, especially the silver thiosulfate ? How do you go about getting them with out flags going up? If you care to share.

I get the rain forest one but not the other... could be dense but yes they are available everywhere. Honestly I’m in a legal state and have read what you have stated before. Honestly not too concerned because I have all my paper work in order. I also believe that the agency that is supposed to have these flagged has bigger issues to deal with on amounts this small. It’s also used to develop film so I’d like to know where this rumor started. I got everything on amazon.

Very familiar with Dark room chemicals and the use of silver nitrate for developing and waste water containing soluble silver thiosulfate, use to buy it by the pounds for mixing, and had a recovery unit to collect the silver...... problem is that was 20 years ago .lol

Very familiar with Dark room chemicals and the use of silver nitrate for developing and waste water containing soluble silver thiosulfate, use to buy it by the pounds for mixing, and had a recovery unit to collect the silver...... problem is that was 20 years ago .lol
Awesome to meet another photo junkie. Got my start in middle school. Then the digital age took over. Still have a few Olympus and Nikon 35mm though for nastalga. And it’s like a record. Hard to replace that “feel” on an image

:d5: Thanks for starting this school session, FD! ...I'll be all back of the bus on this one,...:rofl:.. but taking notes!
My crank is on fire for Anvil fem's, and whatever else you're cookin' up- :hothot: :hump: .... Bobby's too maybe?
.... I got no worries on results my friend, given the pro'-envy quality of the reg's you produce! :pimp: .....so what's a little "perfume" :wiz: added into the mix? :goodluck:

Back