Lighting Thinking about upgrading lights, looking for ideas

Skurge

Gate Keeper
Reaction score
Hey guys, looking to upgrade my setup soon and would like to get some opinions before deciding.

Currently running x2 Meizhi 1200w panels (actual wattage is just over 1k between both panels) in a 5x5 tent.

They've served me much better than I initially thought they would. First run I pulled right around 32 Oz. off 6 gals (.9g per watt, woo!), second run 24 from 5, and third run 16 from 4. All three runs were a combination of Fast Buds Tangie'matic and Heavyweights Fruit Punch.

But based on what I've read about these lights, I can likely expect diodes to start burning out soon on top of the drop in intensity. Thinking I might get 1-2 more runs in with these while looking into potential upgrades.

I have a budget of around 1k and I'm looking to upgrade from 1000w to around 1200-1500 (ideally using 2 panels in the 600-750 range or a single fixture that can cover 25 sq. ft.). I was thinking of going with x2 Vipraspectra par1200's, but feel like it wouldn't be much of an upgrade. Approx $150 more per panel, similar wattage, spectrum better for veg but not as good for flower, the added benefit of dimming (I use the panels from start to finish), but overall it doesn't seem worth it if I'm looking to upgrade. I was also thinking about grabbing x8 150w COBs from Cobshop.net, which would put me at 1200. But I'm not sure if that's really cost effective or what the ideal setup would be (was thinking x8 3500k, or x6 3500k and x2 3000k).

Really interested in QBs as well, but I'm not particularly handy or into DIY stuff, and it seems like there aren't too many prebuilt kits (at least not in the wattage range I'm looking for).

So my question to you fine gents, and gals, what do you believe would be the most cost-effective way to light a 5x5 space without spending more than 1k?

Last edited:
Hey guys, looking to upgrade my setup soon and would like to get some opinions before deciding.

Currently running x2 Meizhi 1200w panels (actual wattage is just over 1k between both panels) in a 5x5 tent.

They've served me much better than I initially thought they would. First run I pulled right around 32 Oz. off 6 gals (.9g per watt, woo!), second run 24 from 5, and third run 16 from 4. All three runs were a combination of Fast Buds Tangie'matic and Heavyweights Fruit Punch.

But based on what I've read about these lights, I can likely expect diodes to start burning out soon on top of the drop in intensity. Thinking I might get 1-2 more runs in with these while looking into potential upgrades.

I have a budget of around 1k and I'm looking to upgrade from 1000w to around 1200-1500 (ideally using 2 panels in the 600-750 range or a single fixture that can cover 25 sq. ft.). I was thinking of going with x2 Vipraspectra par1200's, but feel like it wouldn't be much of an upgrade. Approx $150 more per panel, similar wattage, spectrum better for veg but not as good for flower, the added benefit of dimming (I use the panels from start to finish), but overall it doesn't seem worth it if I'm looking to upgrade. I was also thinking about grabbing x8 150w COBs from Cobshop.net, which would put me at 1200. But I'm not sure if that's really cost effective or what the ideal setup would be (was thinking x8 3500k, or x6 3500k and x2 3000k).

Really interested in QBs as well, but I'm not particularly handy or into DIY stuff, and it seems like there aren't too many prebuilt kits (at least not in the wattage range I'm looking for).

So my question to you fine gents, and gals, what do you believe would be the most cost-effective way to light a 5x5 space without spending more than 1k?
I’m gonna tag u in a couple grows in the vividgro section.

Fluence might have what you are looking for. Rapidled and timber as well

CobsCocoDTWMxPScrog Watch Me Mess Up

Fluence might have what you are looking for. Rapidled and timber as well

Fluence is highly overpriced same with timber. Horticulture lighting group has best bang for buck. People will probably recommend the autocob on here. I tried it and was unimpressed. Hlg was way better. Cobs have the inverse square law apply to it but quantum boards or strips do not because they are not one single big spot of light. Its more spread out than a cob.

Thanks for the replies, my primary concern with COBs is definitely the light spread.

I’m gonna tag u in a couple grows in the vividgro section.

The Growmax 240 looks interesting, but I don't see any pricing on their site. Do I actually have to e-mail to get a quote?

Thanks for the replies, my primary concern with COBs is definitely the light spread.

The Growmax 240 looks interesting, but I don't see any pricing on their site. Do I actually have to e-mail to get a quote?
Give them a call or email extremely friendly and helpful group.

Fluence is highly overpriced same with timber. Horticulture lighting group has best bang for buck. People will probably recommend the autocob on here. I tried it and was unimpressed. Hlg was way better. Cobs have the inverse square law apply to it but quantum boards or strips do not because they are not one single big spot of light. Its more spread out than a cob.
I suggested fluence because he didn't want to diy and they have good results from what I've seen otherwise I would totally suggest hlg or building a bridgelux or Samsung strip build. I'm using 480 watt bridgelux build
8be56b50a87dca860e39d58bf59a2e7d.jpg
0424826691e831461dc00fa79dd39ac0.jpg

I suggested fluence because he didn't want to diy and they have good results from what I've seen otherwise I would totally suggest hlg or building a bridgelux or Samsung strip build. I'm using 480 watt bridgelux build

Was watching some videos last night and didn't realize that the QB kits are so easy to assemble. Every time I've seen someone talk about QB builds it seemed complicated (which I'm sure it is if you're doing it from scratch).

Think I'm going to go with x2 HLG 600 (might do a run with just 1 to start and see how I like it).

Also wondering if 1200w of QB would be too much for a 5x5 tent, according to them that's equiv to 2k of HID in intensity.

I can afford to get 1 of the 600s for now, but I'm doubting that would be enough to outperform the 1000w of blurple that I'm currently running considering the results I've been getting.

Was watching some videos last night and didn't realize that the QB kits are so easy to assemble. Every time I've seen someone talk about QB builds it seemed complicated (which I'm sure it is if you're doing it from scratch).

Think I'm going to go with x2 HLG 600 (might do a run with just 1 to start and see how I like it).

Also wondering if 1200w of QB would be too much for a 5x5 tent, according to them that's equiv to 2k of HID in intensity.

I can afford to get 1 of the 600s for now, but I'm doubting that would be enough to outperform the 1000w of blurple that I'm currently running considering the results I've been getting.
5x5 tents would be 25sqft x 30 watts = 750 watts. I'm running 30 watts per square foot. In a a 5x5 I would personally do the QB132's @3 packs with 3x 320 watt drivers for better coverage and less hot spots. It would be around 750 maybe less for 900 watts max potential.

You can wire each set in series with dimmers built into the drivers

You would be surprised what they can do for less wattage. Max wattage would be 1000 at 40 watts per square foot but you would probably supplement with c02 at that point

8be56b50a87dca860e39d58bf59a2e7d.jpg
0424826691e831461dc00fa79dd39ac0.jpg

Yes if you hit the books with diy led its way worth saving over $500 for a light. I diyed the hlg 550 v2 for around $550.
To the op. I suggest waiting until 4/20. Hlg might have a sale!!

Back