TLO/Super Soil recipes

I remember reading some where that you used the super soil mix only on like 1/4-1/3 of the container and used the rest was base soil.
You may be right about the ratio... I thought it was 50/50 but, most importantly, I'm pretty sure he doesn't use a fresh batch of his mix without cutting it. Any of those ratios should work.

Here's a BASIC organic soil recipe that will produce damn fine results. Props to MoHo for originally posting...beginners give this a whirl if the "supersoils" seem intimidating or too expensive etc...

Base Mix:50% good potting soil (Black Gold, FFOF, Roots Organics, etc.)
30% perlite (or rice hulls, if you can find them)
20% worm castings or quality compost

To that you can add all kinds of goodies, OR you can keep it simple as hell and just add:
1-2 TBSP dolomite lime per gallon of soil and
A dry fertilizer product (like Happy Frog 5-5-5 or Peace of Mind 5-5-5, or the Espoma Organic Traditions All-Purpose one, or Earth Juice's "Rainbow Mix", etc.)

Most of those dry fert brands ^ are like $7-15 per bag and you can just follow the application rates on the packages. It's usually like 1/4 cup per container. And yes, you can get all the way through flower with an "all-purpose" balanced fertilizer. In organic soil, you supply the soil with all the nutrients a plant needs, then feed the microbes and fungi in the soil with compost tea, and watch as the plants and the soil microbes "communicate" with one another... the plant will "ask" (via root exudates) the soil microbes for exactly what it needs, when it needs it... and will leave the rest behind in the soil. This is what most people don't get about organic soil growing. There is no need for manipulating N-P-K ratios to any significant degree. You aren't force-feeding your plants; you are just sliding their stool over to the buffet table and letting them choose.

I personally recommend watering with teas...not necessarily the entire time, but at least every third watering...adding fish emulsion etc during veg, and high P bat guano during flower...molasses molasses molasses...:D

NOTICE: We do not want to close this thread so that members can add new recipes they use.​

But, the original thread got off topic with some other organic subjects, to the point that recipes were starting to get lost in the volume of discussion.

The posts that do not include a recipe, will be pruned frequently. This is not a discussion thread. If you would like to comment or ask questions about a certain recipe, follow this link and open a post with your question:

I am confident you will get an answer just as quickly.

Please place recipes only in this thread so they will be easier for members to access.

We appreciate your cooperation. :peace:

If you posted a question or comment after this post,

it is now located here:
https://www.autoflower.org/f89/organic-forum-discussion-16448.html#post320730

Last edited:
I spent some time this evening trying to figure this out for my own needs, as I have found most of these soil recipes are US based.. I thought I would post it, to save others some time, but mistakes may have been made*+( so if you think it looks wrong pls check for yourself)..

Subcool's soil (based from LiquidJunglist 1/2 recipe)

• 200L base soil of a high-quality organic potting soil with coco fiber and mycorrhizae (i.e., your base soil)
  • 1.5kg to 3kg of organic worm castings
  • 1kg steamed bone meal
  • 1kg bloom bat guano
  • 1kg blood meal
  • 0.6kg rock phosphate
  • 6 tablespoons Epsom Salts
  • 4 tablespoon sweet lime (dolomite)
  • 4 tablespoons azomite (trace elements)
  • 1 tablespoon powdered humic acid

------------------------------------

Dirt's Mix

• 190L base
  • 83L coco
  • 37L mushroom compost - based on it being a 10 Gallon bag(could be wrong)
  • 75L gal recycled soil.
  • 3.5L oyster shell
  • 1.6L kelp meal
  • 1.4L prilled lime
  • 0.7L alfalfa meal
  • 0.9L blood meal
  • 0.9L bone meal
  • 0.9L rose and flower 5-3-8
  • 0.7L dolomite powder
  • 1L rock phosphate
  • 0.7L soft rock phosphate
  • 1L flower power 4-10-4
  • 0.5L DE
  • 1.4L greensand

Three Little Birds Method

• 150L used soil
  • 0.95L alfalfa meal
  • 0.95L bone meal
  • 0.95L kelp meal
  • 0.95L powdered dolomite lime
  • 13.6L earthworm castings
However we also like to use

• 0.95L Greensand
  • 0.95L Rock Phosphate
  • 0.95L diatomaceous earth

Cres's easy start Organic mix

• 107L promix
  • 198L coco
  • 113L Maine lobster compost
  • 9kg kelp
  • 9kg dolomite
  • 9kg dried bone meal
  • 4.5kg dry blood
  • 4.5kg green sand
  • 4.5kg rock phosphate
  • 11kg calcium chips(chicken food)
  • mycro-white shark mycro and other beneficial bacteria

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to convert for our metric members! :thumbs:

Thank you for the conversion.Sorry testerx.I saw that too late.wont happen again bro.

Last edited:
Here's my cup of tea:

1 litre of worm compost (I 'enrich' this with a few teaspoons of DCM Vivaroot for P and K, and some Conifer-pellets which contain N and over 170 different species of fungi. Both organic fertilizers, according to the packaging)
1 litre of poor garden soil (or your potting soil, don't know how organic that sounds to you guys) > use this stuff on top, to prevent roots burning.
1 litre of sand (you know, the kind of sand you use in playgrounds and all that)
1 tblsp of yeast (YES baking yeast! This helps remove P and K excesses and produces co2 in that same process. I pregrow a culture in a litre of water with 100gr of sugar for two days, add that to the mixture)
8 tblsp of sugar (doesn't matter what kind)
1 cup of soil from a local forest (for spores and mycorrizhae)
1 cup of live worms. Those animals know how to work your soil

I'd like to add some clay pellets (which some of you use for hydro) and a lot of leaf litter. I prefer grass litter over other plants because our lawn is full of shamrocks. These contain lots of Nitrogen, and will be broken down by the fungi and worms. Other leaves will suffice, this'll add a lot of living material to your plants' soil and by that increases their defence against molds and pests.

Three Little Birds Method
40 gallons used soil
4 cups alfalfa meal
4 cups bone meal
4 cups kelp meal
4 cups powdered dolomite lime
30 pound bag of earthworm castings . . .
That’s the basic recipe . . .
However we also like to use
4 cups of Greensand
4 cups of Rock Phosphate
4 cups of diatomaceous earth

What are the benefits of diatomaceous earth? I knew you could drink it but benefits does it offer plants?

I believe it's used as a silica source more than pest control. DE loses a lot of it's pest killing properties once it gets wet. I've used it on roaches in the past and it has to be re-applied once the area gets wet.

Could be wrong.

Back