To top or not to top?

stvkc69

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Growing mephisto genetics for the first time. Forgotten strawberries was my choice. They are still seedlings at this point. I'm considering topping both plants. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience topping this particular strain? And if so any advice?

Messing with the apical dominance either by topping or LST has always produced the best results for every strain I've grown. As long as your not topping to late in the process. I like doing it around day 20, just before they start showing sex or shortly after. I just bend over the little top until it pops. I'm not taking much off at all. A few MM's at most. The top side branches will be very very tiny doing it this way and the lowers will all catch up making it an even canopy in the end.

I wouldn’t top Forgotten strawberries the one I grew stayed short and stout very dense buds that I lost to mold IIRC, I topped it and regretted it. I used to top all the time but find that bending them over is less stressful on the plant and has similar results.

Messing with the apical dominance either by topping or LST has always produced the best results for every strain I've grown. As long as your not topping to late in the process. I like doing it around day 20, just before they start showing sex or shortly after. I just bend over the little top until it pops. I'm not taking much off at all. A few MM's at most. The top side branches will be very very tiny doing it this way and the lowers will all catch up making it an even canopy in the end.
Should you top, and LST, or is one technique enough?

Last edited:
Should you top, and LST, or is one technique enough?
Depends on your individual situation. Topping a plant is to get more than one cola. It transforms the side branches growing before the top to main colas of the plant. Basically its an easy way to bring up yields.
Basic lst is just training the way your plant grows to even the canopy and give each branch as much light and airflow as it can get. Helps equalize the light distributed over the tops so the plant is as uniform as it can be. It also allows you to fill the space exactly how you want it to. Combined with a good defoliation now and then lst will help you get the most out of each branch. But food and environmental factors still play a huge role.

Back