When looking at PPFD and DLI for autos

SHRED

"Onward through the fog!" - Oat Willie
Reaction score
As I look at LEDs I am wondering if autoflowers need quite the same intensity of light as photos considering DLI?

I run my autos at 21/3.

I'm still learning all this but any advice is appreciated.

In my experience autos do require slightly less PPFD since you're hitting them with more light throughout the day (DLI). Keep in mind, this is cultivar dependent and if you use CO2, PPFD can be increased further. Personally, I ramp up slowly so by mid-flower, I'm at 700-1000 PPFD w/out CO2. Just keep an eye on them and if you notice light stress, cut PPFD back by 100. :peace:

Edit: One other thing to keep in mind is LED light dissipates faster the further the light is from the canopy. So if you want more penetration the light has to be closer or be higher powered. I recommend for a 2x4, True 300w fixtures are perfect and for a 5x5 anything over 700w.

Last edited:
In my experience autos do require slightly less PPFD since you're hitting them with more light throughout the day (DLI). Keep in mind, this is cultivar dependant and if you use CO2, PPFD can be increased further. Personally, I ramp up slowly so by mid-flower, I'm at 700-1000 PPFD w/out CO2. Just keep an eye on them and if you notice light stress, cut PPFD back by 100. :peace:

Edit: One other thing to keep in mind is LED light dissapates faster the further the light is from the canopy. So if you want more penetration the light has to be closer or be higher powered.
I tested my Viparspectra KS3000 at about 12" using a UNI-T and the PPFD Meter app.
The plants seem fine.

Not sure how accurate this is though.
20221211_120737.jpg
Screenshot_20221211_120711_PPFD Meter.jpg
20221210_194632.jpg

Seems like the perfect spot to me! I use the same light meter and app too. No more guessing!

Seems like the perfect spot to me! I use the same light meter and app too. No more guessing!
Thanks.

I'm going to add another tent so I'm looking for a decent 2 × 4 light.
i keep coming back to the Migro Aray 4 and it's modular flexibility. It can be split in half to adjust for varied canopy height. I've been told it's not powerful enough but for autos it seems fine?

Thanks.

i keep coming back to the Migro Aray 4 and it's modular flexibility. It can be split in half to adjust for varied canopy height. I've been told it's not powerful enough but for autos it seems fine?

Not powerful enough? Migro makes some of the best lights. Whoever said that it’s not powerful enough has no clue.

My shopping list so far:

2x4 Gorilla tent.
Migro Aray 4.
AC Infinity T6 fan with controller and carbon filter.
Gonna be a nice setup! By the way, a 4" fan is plenty for a 2x4, but there's nothing wrong going with a 6" if you have spare cash. Then you can use it if you ever upgrade the 2x4! I use the 6" in my 5x5. The fan with the controller are vital in keeping my environmental variables in check.

Gonna be a nice setup! By the way, a 4" fan is plenty for a 2x4, but there's nothing wrong going with a 6" if you have spare cash. Then you can use it if you ever upgrade the 2x4! I use the 6" in my 5x5. The fan with the controller are vital in keeping my environmental variables in check.
I have a 6" for my 3 x 3 tent.

Thanks for the downsize tip.

Thanks.

If you're referring to my comments and advice re. the Migro lights, I did not argue that they're not "powerful enough". They certainly are "powerful enough" to grow cannabis. However, there are other lights that are commonly used in a 2' x 4' environment will result a substantially higher yield, all other things being equal.

The Migro Array for a 2 x 4 is a 260 watt light and the PPF is markedly lower than the PPF from the Atreum 3200 or the Growcraft X3. Migro lights are a brilliant design and they're inexpensive, one of the tradeoffs being that a 260 watt driver is used. That reduces manufacturing costs which allows Migro to sell a cheaper product. Shane recommends modest levels of light, he's created products that generate those levels of light, and he is able to undercut the price of competing products. The competing product are more powerful but, if growers are happy at 260 watts in a 2' x 4', Migro has an excellent product for those growers.

Back