Welcome Phyter (aka RotBlock)

:cheers: :welcome: Hi RotBlock, Welcome to AFN mates! :thanks: -- Great to have you here, and to have a chance to try this product out with our testers... I only wish you were here say, 2 months ago! I grow outdoors, in a place that mold definitely likes to act up... cool, high RH% at night, less than a mile from the ocean, rot is my #1 nemesis! ...... I have in the past used Actinovate, then Armory to help fight back, and I think it helps, but then, I don't risk a duplicate untreated plant to test this out, naturally!
This grow spot at a client/friends place, it's only the 2nd year, but some new challenges have shown up... Mainly this is from the botrytis attacking the stems, usually at leaf/stem junctions, getting into the vascular system and traveling which as you know is a real shit-show then... Nothing can touch it there! Prevention is about all one can do,... I spray all through veg, and well into bloom... I tell folks that past a point, nothing sprayed gets deeper into the buds, and if spores are there, they get enveloped as it grows so nothing is a panacea, right? :smoking:
From what I gather, Streptomyces species are the agents involved with mold "predation",... Do you know if they attack only spores, or are they active against the growing fungus itself as well? What's in your version of this, if not proprietary? :eyebrows: .... I would be a great tester for this, and I will, but it'll have to wait until next season, alas!

Hi Waira and thanks for the welcome!
Rather than being a bacteria (Streptomyces) RotBlock is based on the fungus Clonostachys Rosea (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonostachys_rosea_f._rosea) , instead of primarily predating on fungus it works as a pioneer colonizer and establishes itself on your plant symbiotically, essentially it takes up the space that Botrytis wants to inhabit leaving it no room.
Because of this it's pretty good at protecting deep in the bud but like you say, its nature, and nothing is 100%, if you do get a spot though you'll find it doesn't spread like normal and you end up chasing it around your garden way less.
There's some links to the science off the wiki article but I can dig up some more for you if you're genuinely interested

:biggrin: Ahhhh, very interesting, it's a space (and resource?) competitor of sorts! So basically, it's out-colonizes the active mold/spores,.. does it smother them, and/or out-feed on the surface nutrients? Any chemical warfare going on here between them? ... Yes, as a biologist, I'm always keen on learning the nitty-gritty, so please do post some more info/links!
Do you know if the Strepto's will feed on the Clono' as well?

:biggrin: Ahhhh, very interesting, it's a space (and resource?) competitor of sorts! So basically, it's out-colonizes the active mold/spores,.. does it smother them, and/or out-feed on the surface nutrients? Any chemical warfare going on here between them? ... Yes, as a biologist, I'm always keen on learning the nitty-gritty, so please do post some more info/links!
Do you know if the Strepto's will feed on the Clono' as well?
I don't specifically know about using the strepto's with it but our user guide says to avoid fungicides when spraying so would have to say to go with that.
C. Rosea has been seen to attack B. Cinerea under certain conditions but its not reliable enough to consider the product a fungicide, RotBlock is a preventative rather than something you start spraying when you see rot.
Loads of the science stuff is behind paywalls, but I found a free article for you here
If I find more I'll be sure to let you know

...reading it now! I see, it's an endophyte, not an ectophyte... (meaning it lives within other living tissues, aka, the plant, as opposed to living just on the surface of it)... That alone answers some questions- :thumbsup:
I figure it's chemical fungicides they refer to, not biological agents, but if you get the chance to ask the inventor, please do!

...reading it now! I see, it's an endophyte, not an ectophyte... (meaning it lives within other living tissues, aka, the plant, as opposed to living just on the surface of it)... That alone answers some questions- :thumbsup:
I figure it's chemical fungicides they refer to, not biological agents, but if you get the chance to ask the inventor, please do!
That's absolutely right, think mycorrhizal fungus. I'll find out about the biological fungicides for you and let you know :greenthumb:

Back