You cant put seedlings in ______ soil because it runs to hot?

Lol - I would lean more towards "busted" or "inconclusive", but just because of semantics and how you phrased the question - i.e., some people do germinate directly in soil (including heavier soils like FFOF) without any problems. But, it does come with a higher risk of possibly burning seedlings, so it's recommended to use a lighter soil mix for germination.

Minor things I'd add are:
  • Along with overwatering, the next common mistake for new growers is overfeeding and feeding too early. I'm sure at least part of the reputation for certain soils comes from new growers feeding too early and blaming the soil, then just switching to a different media the next time.
  • Soils are typically labeled with "guaranteed minimum" levels of nutrients, similar to fertilizers (depending on local regulations). They're tested periodically by government inspectors and can be fined if they're under the labeled levels by a certain amount. But, there's no real control over pH or how fast/slow those nutrients are released to the soil and/or made available to the plants over time.
  • Likewise, there's no regulatory enforcement of a "guaranteed maximum" nutrient level, beyond the motivation to avoid extra costs. As Waira pointed out, this (along with storage conditions, aging, etc) can lead to batch-to-batch variations in quality and overall performance.

Dump the bag of dirt into a bin and water it with grokashi and leave it for a month. Problem pretty much solved.

I've used it and even my own "hot" mixes without issue. I think what everyone overlooks is the PH of that soil. Whenever I've used FFOF etc, I always add some lime. As there may be some already don't add a lot, 1-2 cups to 10 gallons and there should be no PH issues to be mistaken for "hot" soil.

I have looked through the forums and have not found this topic but I could be missing it.
I hear many people claiming that FFOF ect cant be used to germinate or grow seedlings because "it runs hot" (I have zero issues growing any any pre made medium)
My understanding is one time a FF product was shipped out while it was still composting which created heat and killed plants. I find this to be very believable.
However people are claiming the to hot part is an over abundance of nutes in the manufactures soil from day 1 (find it hard to believe).

So Myth Busters- Can soil be "to hot" to germinate/seedling or is it a bunch of BS?

Ran across these yesterday, so I figured I'd post here for reference - Below are the labels / ingredients for OF and HF (which can take some googling to find).

HF has a lower number of amendments / ingredients, added myco and bacillus, and 1/3 less P content - but otherwise it's about the same nutrient content as OF:

Ocean Forest Label.jpg
Happy Frog Label.jpeg

Back