You cant put seedlings in ______ soil because it runs to hot?

I ca

n source the Bx locally I got 4 cubic feet of per light. When I was growing before I used sunshine mix 4 with a starter charge already in it
Good old sunshine #4 that is the closest thing to the hp and vis versa. it has some sort of thing added in it though I forget what it was called.
Had the same issue with local sourcing the hp sells out quick around here just skids of bx.. that’s when the shop keep gave me the tip

Good old sunshine #4 that is the closest thing to the hp and vis versa. it has some sort of thing added in it though I forget what it was called.
Had the same issue with local sourcing the hp sells out quick around here just skids of bx.. that’s when the shop keep gave me the tip
Ever see hpcc? Has some coco in it. Haven’t heard much about it except for the promix website.

im very new to soil but as @arty zan says I start all my youngsters in solo cups and in soil I use light mix id absolutely great for starting young plants and seeds and from them, I repot them into the other soil so they will have some sort of root mass and this round I went with sohums and I literally just cut the bottom off my solo cup and make 2 slits up the side into the hotter media and it seems to work better like in pics .i also do the same method in coco everything begins life with me in a solo cup

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 41
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 40
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 37
Ever see hpcc? Has some coco in it. Haven’t heard much about it except for the promix website.
Yes same here, the website only and I was under the impression that that is a recipe for a shit show...
But even the auto pots manual suggest coco blends...

F03393E4-C493-4831-BBA7-1A2802BA0EF6.jpeg

I also like solo cups. Start all my photos in it. Usually put autos in there final pot. Let that tap root go deep. Probably don’t make much difference. Just seems logical.
04F33CF2-CED7-4121-A8D8-07E352E4EC7A.gif

:funny: :funny: :pass:

Yes same here, the website only and I was under the impression that that is a recipe for a shit show...
But even the auto pots manual suggest coco blends...
Yeah I saw @Mañ'O'Green say something about it being a shit show. I found an article on it from sun gro skimmed through it and now I can’t find it. Will look later after work. It was a good article about coco different kinds of peat ,Dolomite lime and mixing them.

Last edited:
i use ocean forest in my tlo mix. seems pretty good to me. get it for 10 dollars a cubic foot bag. gets better when reused repeatedly and the worms have their way with it for a spell :eyebrows:

I hear many people claiming that FFOF ect cant be used to germinate or grow seedlings because "it runs hot" (I have zero issues growing any any pre made medium)
My understanding is one time a FF product was shipped out while it was still composting which created heat and killed plants. I find this to be very believable.
However people are claiming the to hot part is an over abundance of nutes in the manufactures soil from day 1 (find it hard to believe).

So Myth Busters- Can soil be "to hot" to germinate/seedling or is it a bunch of BS?
Definitely, rich soil can be too much for seedling, this is a common thing in all agriculture frankly,... As for Fuxfarms floor scrapings "soil", they are notorious for a variety of quality issues which run the gamut because of their dubious outsourcing and greed... Undercooked soil, bugs, badly off pH (I have repeatedly measured bags with low 5's pH, instant FUBAR), rock/sticks and other garbage debris...
A decade ago they made great soil, that's how they made their bones,... that sourcing is long long gone now, just hype and former good rep' demand driving them to pump their shit out as fast and cheap as they can get away with,... A local supplier where I live actually stopped carrying their soils because of so many come-back problems traced to their soil! :nono: ---Fuxfarms home base is only 400 miles away from us, BTW....

That said, some folks do get OK bags, again that's down to the local sourcing and subcontractors making it,...
Usually, it's not the richness that gets the seedling in OF soil, it's the root fragg'ing, nute locking acidic pH....
Also in play is cultivar to cultivar tolerances for such things... Avoid the worry by starting them in milder soil. In a final pot, just make a pocket of about 1L in volume and fill with milder soil, plant into that.... I nest a cup in the pot when filling it up, then remove it....makes a perfect shaped core to plant into :thumbsup:

Definitely, rich soil can be too much for seedling, this is a common thing in all agriculture frankly,... As for Fuxfarms floor scrapings "soil", they are notorious for a variety of quality issues which run the gamut because of their dubious outsourcing and greed... Undercooked soil, bugs, badly off pH (I have repeatedly measured bags with low 5's pH, instant FUBAR), rock/sticks and other garbage debris...
A decade ago they made great soil, that's how they made their bones,... that sourcing is long long gone now, just hype and former good rep' demand driving them to pump their shit out as fast and cheap as they can get away with,... A local supplier where I live actually stopped carrying their soils because of so many come-back problems traced to their soil! :nono: ---Fuxfarms home base is only 400 miles away from us, BTW....

That said, some folks do get OK bags, again that's down to the local sourcing and subcontractors making it,...
Usually, it's not the richness that gets the seedling in OF soil, it's the root fragg'ing, nute locking acidic pH....
Also in play is cultivar to cultivar tolerances for such things... Avoid the worry by starting them in milder soil. In a final pot, just make a pocket of about 1L in volume and fill with milder soil, plant into that.... I nest a cup in the pot when filling it up, then remove it....makes a perfect shaped core to plant into :thumbsup:
Great info

Back