New Grower 2x Blue Amnesia XXL; 2x HLG 135W v2 Quantum Board LEDs

Yeah I’ve already decided I’m trying coco next, 100%. The plan is to work my way up to DWC, but I feel coco is that bridge. Should be interesting!
DWC does look fun but i think you got to be on your game with it tho coco is a bridge i would say

Day 48 Update:

Fed with 620ppm nute solution as per GH Flora
Series Week 7 "LIGHT" Chart @ 100%. I also added Diamond Nectar (humic acid) in a 5:2 ratio with Floralicious Plus, which is a kelp-based nutrient present in the 6- and 10-part GH mixes.

The issue I seem to be facing with GH nutrients is the general "shape" of the feedcharts, in that they "peak" in late veg/early flower.

For example, the LIGHT feedcharts @ 100% have general ppm ranges as follows:

Week 1 (veg): 200ppm
Week 2 (veg): 450ppm
Week 3 (veg): 600ppm
Week 4 (veg): 750ppm
Week 5 (bloom): 750ppm
Week 6 (bloom): 750ppm

Week 7 (bloom): 700ppm
Week 8 (bloom): 700ppm
Week 9 (bloom): 700ppm
Week 10 (bloom): 500ppm
Week 11 (bloom): 500ppm
Week 12 (bloom): 450ppm
Week 13 (bloom): 0ppm

Note how nute concentrations are highest in weeks 4-6? i.e., late veg to early bloom. Does this apply to autoflowers as well @Mañ'O'Green ? My original intention was to sort of 'work may way up' to 500ppm in late flower, i.e., linearly increase my nutrient concentration from 50-100% throughout the course of the grow. I guess my question is, "when" are autos "ready" for 500-550ppm nute solutions?

The other caveat here is I just fed 100% Week 7 nutes, but the ppm I was reading was 620ppm, which is a little bit less than what GH reports on their label. Granted, my water is so soft it doesn't register on my pen, so perhaps GH accounts for 'some' TDS in water.

Perhaps on my next attempt, I'll just follow 100% of the light chart right from the start, or at least move into 100% by the end of veg.

Thanks,

-tronN00dles

The strength of the nutrients needs to be in the range of 500 - 600 PPM (autos) for the entire grow except the first week or two. The difference is in the PPM relationship of the elements that changes with maturity of the plant.

Yeah I’ve already decided I’m trying coco next, 100%. The plan is to work my way up to DWC, but I feel coco is that bridge. Should be interesting!

DWC and Coco are both forms of hydro but they are worlds apart. Coco needs extra calcium, magnesium and iron and less potassium in your nutrient mix.

DWC the control of PH, water level and water temperature will be the most time consuming difference.

WEEKS 9-10 Update:

Hey everybody,

I didn't post a formal update last week, so this will cover two weeks. Time is flying! Looks like I'm on the home stretch here now with another 3 weeks or so for the buds to ripen (maybe 4). Anyway, as per the posts above, I started seeing some issues. Upon correcting, ONE of the plants responded better while the other continued to show some signs of deficiencies. If you look at the post above this one, I theorized it had to do with the bigger plant getting less water and ultimately showing a higher run-off compared to her healthier sister. This was my first time growing more than one plant at a time, and I think I've learned a key-takeaway: different plants have different watering requirements, lol. Seems obvious now. For the rest of the grow, it looks like the bigger one is going to be watered/fed a little sooner than the other, rather than watering both at the same time.

Anyway, it's been a while since I shared some stats so here's what I've been up to the past two weeks:

Temp: ~27 deg C
Humidity: ~ 49%
VPD: 1.4
Lux: ~ 54,000 (measured)
PPFD: 800-850 (as per HLG light-specific Lux-to-PPFD Calculator)
Total lighting power draw from wall: 320W
Light Cycle: 18/6
DLI : ~54
Nutrient Solutions: ~530ppm (570 including tap water); pH @ 6.2
Nutrient mix: GH 10-part + Diamond Nectar (humic acid, 2.5x amount relative to Floralicious Plus, the kelp-based nute)

And here's a few pics:

View attachment 1349990

And here's some of the problem leaves from the taller one. The short one practically has no such problems:

View attachment 1349992 View attachment 1349993 View attachment 1349994

And the worst leaves that I plucked off the taller one:

View attachment 1349996 View attachment 1349995

And as I mentioned, the taller one's buds (left, below) seem a little behind compared to her shorter sister (right, below). The taller one still has lots of straight, white hairs; the shorter one has more orange/curled hairs.

View attachment 1350019 View attachment 1350009

Anyway, thanks to @Mañ'O'Green for his support on this. The issues seemed to have ceased once I got my nutes and watering habbits sorted. They're looking real good now, I must say:

View attachment 1350012

Thanks!

-tronN00dles
The leaves are showing a phosphorous problem too much and too little look the same?

2021-01-23_16-05-01.jpg

Maybe too much calcium is locking it out?

The leaves are showing a phosphorous problem too much and too little look the same?

View attachment 1350192

Maybe too much calcium is locking it out?

Very possible. I was thinking the problem plant was showing signs of both phosphorous and potassium deficiencies, whether from lockout or general underfeeding. Anyway, it seems to be okay now that she's getting watered to proper run-off and not allowed to dry out as much. Like I said, the shorter/better watered plant wasn't really showing any problem leaves like from the pics above.

To put some numbers behind the calcium, the plant received 71ppm of calcium from its most recent fertigation (62ppm from GH 10-part line up, and 9ppm from tapwater). According to a Pro-Mix test report, the dolomite lime in the medium can contribute to calcium levels from 100-180ppm out of the bag, which I suspect would decrease over time.

IIRC from your stickied post, plants need 80-180ppm of calcium? So I think I could probably get by with just the 3-part solution and forego the Cal-Mag altogether from the 6/10-part charts if I were to stick with Pro-Mix Hp, again, assuming calcium levels don't deplete too much throughout the growth cycle. It's just where the 6- and 10-part line ups contain it as a member of the full line up, and I was iffy to 'not' follow the full line up, if that makes sense.

Anyway, this is a +1 for coco though, as I like the idea of a totally inert medium without having to worry about unquantified variables.

Thanks again :worship:

-tronN00dles

Week 10
Week 10 Update:

Hey everybody, tronN00dles here back for another update. First off, for some reason I called my last update "Weeks 9-10 Update", but looking back through my calendar, that's wrong and it should have only be Week 9. This is week 10. Damn time warp, got me again..... :baked:

Anyways, things are progressing nicely and we're fast approaching chop time. Clear senescence of the fan leaves is ongoing right now, and the sugar leaves are taking on a golden purple color. Quite beautiful for sure. They also stink, in an excellent way.

In my last update, I mentioned how I attributed some issues to the watering needs of the plants diverging: this has continued and now they're totally out of sync and need to be watered 24 hours apart. This is an interesting predicament and I guess it boils down to differences in phenotypes, and also the fact that they're under two different lights. I tried to rotate the plants such that they'd spend an equal number of time under each one, but I guess I lost track of this over the past 10 weeks. Oh well...

In terms of "lessons learned", there's one thing for sure: I was trying to force this grow to follow the weekly GH Flora Series chart in it's entirety. It's now becoming clear that this plant is maturing a little faster than my past couple of auto attempts. Based on the cloudiness of the trichromes, these ladies could be ready in ~10 days. So I decided to skip a week of the "late bloom" nutrients and to start feeding "Ripening" nutrients. I also discovered some GH fine print which I wish I had of seen earlier: it says for faster growing plants, to skip a week of "Early Bloom" nutrients. What I've ended up doing is feeding each of the "Early Bloom" weeks and skipped one of the "Late Bloom" weeks instead to get to the ripening period. Oh well. Could be worse. It's all about dialing in those nutes, and more important, reading what the plant needs, rather than what's on the label :headbang:

Anyway, here's some pics. Apologies (not really) for the glorified flash pics.... :vibe:

IMG_5992 short.png
IMG_6011.jpeg
fixed.jpeg

main.jpeg
fexed2.jpeg

Happy growing!

-tronN00dles

Week 11
Hey folks,

Back again for another end-of-week update. I just finished up Week 11, and these ladies are just about done. I think I'll be chopping them this coming weekend, which will be at around the day 85 mark (pics below are on day 77)

Big time senescence is happening and the fans leaves are yellowing and/or falling off. I'm wondering if I had of locked in my nutrients early on if the green would have persisted a little longer. Anyway, I'm not totally mad about it. The buds are beautiful, stinky, and rich in trichromes. They're currently mostly cloudy, with some clear and amber still peppered throughout. I'm aiming for a little more amber that what I'm seeing now.

Anyway, the big change from this grow compared to my last few is that I am NOT flushing this time around. I'm going to give these girls one more feed at around 400 ppm, then I suspect they'll get 2 more plain waterings after that prior to chop. The science seems pretty clear on the flushing being unnecessary, and I'm willing to forego it.

Aside from that, a bit of a struggle recently has been the temperature and humidity around here. I've been struggling to keep the plant below 30 deg C and humidity below 60%. Today wasn't bad though, latest reading was 28 deg C and 51% RH which is acceptable in terms of VPD.

As for feeding, I gave a 500ppm feed at the start of week 11, then two plain waterings since then. They're definitely drinking and absorbing less now which is probably normal. It takes less water to get adequate run-off, and my run-off ec hasn't been dropping between waterings as much as it had been back in earlier/mid flower, when they were thirsty, hungry girls.

Some bud pics:

no flash.jpeg
meh.jpeg

medium.jpeg
other1.jpeg

Cheers,

tronN00dles

Attachments

• small.jpeg
    small.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 23
Quick poll: wet trim or dry trim?

I've only ever wet trimmed in the past, but I'm interested in trying dry trimming. The caveat is I'm in a super humid environment at the moment, if that makes a difference. Maybe I should wet trim in the summer and dry trim in the winter? In terms of quantity, I'm anticipating a dry yield of 240-270g based on previous grows.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Week 12 + Harvest
Hey everybody.

Today (day 88) is chop day. I just finished hanging the girls up in my tent where they'll stay for a week or so. I opted to dry trim these, which is my first time doing so. I removed all the fan leaves and some of the bigger sugar leaves, but most remained intact. We'll see how this drying/harvesting process goes. Based on the relative yield compared to my last go, I'm anticipating a good half-pound here.

Anyway, here are some pics. Thanks again to everyone who has chipped in with advice and support along the way.

IMG_6194.JPEG

IMG_6222.JPEG

IMG_6200.JPEG

IMG_6212.JPEG
IMG_6217.JPEG

IMG_6233.JPEG

Stay tuned for my final update sometime in the next 7-10 days for my final dry-yield report....

-tronN00dles

Looks like you had a fantastic grow. Those buds are gorgeous. Congrats and best of luck as you dry and cure them.

That looks banging very nice

Back