3x3 Lighting Setup

Reaction score
After the current grow cycle, about two months from now, I will be rebuilding my grow space and I am looking for some opinions on lighting. I will be moving from a 2x2.5 tent to an ~3x3 space that is enclosed on three sides. I currently only grow autos and I only grow for personal use so light leaks and possibly reduced yield due to loss of light reflection from a forth wall aren’t a big concern. Controlling the heat has always been the biggest challenge and I have found over the years that the trade off between leaving the tent open versus having more light reflection from a forth wall is the sweet spot for what I am working with.

I will be going from growing one lady at a time to growing two at a time max during any cycle. Right now I use a Viparspectra Dimmable PAR1200 light and it works fine but since I am reconfiguring the space, I am going to take the opportunity to upgrade to some newer technology to hopefully increase performance, reduce heat, increase efficiency, reduce the physical weight of the light to make it easier to raise/lower, etc. I grow hydro in DYI Bato/Dutch buckets with drip feeds.

While I am sure someone can come up with a ridiculous option that costs $10k+, reasonable costs aren’t a consideration for this rebuild. Saving money is always good but it isn’t even in the top ten things I am focused on. I am looking for:

1. Performance
  2. Low heat
  3. Efficiency
  4. Ease of use. Ie - Single lighting setup for veg/flower unless dedicated lifecycle lighting solutions will make a huge difference and, most importantly, will be easy to work with in my setup
5. Through 10. Other less important stuff
11. Saving money

The high level question right now is for a build as described above (3x3, three reflective walls, two plants, lower heat so LED based, etc) would it be better to go with:

1. One large quantum board
  2. Two smaller quantum boards
  3. Two COBs
  4. A combination of any of the above. For example, something like a bar/strip quantum board for veg and then two COBs that can easily be hung between the bars/strips during flower for more direct bloom spectrum lighting

For reference, I am currently leaning towards a Spider Farmer SE-5000 for the space but before I get too attached to the idea, I would like some other opinions.

Hopefully that is enough information to get some feedback. If you had 3x3 space with unlimited (within reason) budget to grow two plants, what would you do?

I would likely go for something like the ChilLed equivalent to the spider farmer. I’d recommend the Atreum ARA bar arrays as well, that’s what I have in my indoor 4x2. But the bars are 4’ in size so likely wouldn’t work in your space.

First, I would not go 3x3 unless forced to, if that makes any difference. 3x3 would be great for one monster, or a sea of green setup, but not in my opinion ideal for two good sized plants. It is the right square footage, but the wrong shape. For two plants, I would choose a 2x4, or something more or less that shape and a bit bigger. You can make the 3x3 work for a couple plants, but you may have to train them more than you would with a more rectangular shape.

As to lighting, I would go with two quantum boards so you can adjust height to two different sized plants. Two cobs would also work, but I prefer the wider light distribution of the quantums. You could also get wide light distribution with some of the higher end lights that mount the leds on rails, but I don't have specific information for you. If heat is an issue, you will want to be able to position your ballast(s) remotely, not in the grow space.

Good luck with it.

There also seems to be less viable options in lighting “tailored” for odd dimensions. Most lights seem to be tailored to even dimensions- 2,4,6 etc. But you gotta work with what you have.

I’m partial to the bar arrays now since I got my Atreum bars - 3 - 4’ bars in the 4x2 and a wall mounted 320 meanwell are incredibly even across the whole tent. It’s amazing. My standard QB lights in my 8x4 (literally) pale in comparison.

First, I would not go 3x3 unless forced to, if that makes any difference. 3x3 would be great for one monster, or a sea of green setup, but not in my opinion ideal for two good sized plants. It is the right square footage, but the wrong shape. For two plants, I would choose a 2x4, or something more or less that shape and a bit bigger. You can make the 3x3 work for a couple plants, but you may have to train them more than you would with a more rectangular shape.

As to lighting, I would go with two quantum boards so you can adjust height to two different sized plants. Two cobs would also work, but I prefer the wider light distribution of the quantums. You could also get wide light distribution with some of the higher end lights that mount the leds on rails, but I don't have specific information for you. If heat is an issue, you will want to be able to position your ballast(s) remotely, not in the grow space.

Good luck with it.
Agreed it isn’t ideal but it’s what I have to work with right now. Most of the time I will continue to grow one at a time but sometimes when the genetics are right I will grow two and train them to fit.

Thx for the feedback!

I can’t think of the model number offhand but the ChilLed growcraft that’s rated for 3x5 space would be the one I would choose in your situation. Not bagging on lights that are primarily on Amazon. I’ve got a couple in the 8x4 that have done fine. I just find stateside support to be much better. But YMMV. Good luck.

I would likely go for something like the ChilLed equivalent to the spider farmer. I’d recommend the Atreum ARA bar arrays as well, that’s what I have in my indoor 4x2. But the bars are 4’ in size so likely wouldn’t work in your space.

Why Chilled over Spider Farmer?

Agreed it isn’t ideal but it’s what I have to work with right now. Most of the time I will continue to grow one at a time but sometimes when the genetics are right I will grow two and train them to fit.

Thx for the feedback!
You are welcome, I kind of figured that 3x3 was a matter of necessity, but thought I should mention the issues anyway. The good news is that you will have space for a monster if you need it. How is your space for height?

As to the genetics, some strains, such as the Mephisto 24 Carat I have grown, would very nicely fit 4 into a 3x3. I have done 3 in my 2x4 in both of my indoor grows with that space, and it worked fine with plants I knew would stay modestly sized. My next grow will be different due to the genetics involved. If I stick with the 2x4, two plants will be it. OTOH, I am thinking of expanding it to 4x4 for four plants. The jury is still out.

Anyway, good luck with the new space, I hope you have some fun with it, and grow some great bud. :pighug:

I can’t think of the model number offhand but the ChilLed growcraft that’s rated for 3x5 space would be the one I would choose in your situation. Not bagging on lights that are primarily on Amazon. I’ve got a couple in the 8x4 that have done fine. I just find stateside support to be much better. But YMMV. Good luck.

Thanks for the clarification/suggestion but a 3x5 light won’t fit. Maybe their 2x2 with a couple COBs might work though.

You are welcome, I kind of figured that 3x3 was a matter of necessity, but thought I should mention the issues anyway. The good news is that you will have space for a monster if you need it. How is your space for height?

As to the genetics, some strains, such as the Mephisto 24 Carat I have grown, would very nicely fit 4 into a 3x3. I have done 3 in my 2x4 in both of my indoor grows with that space, and it worked fine with plants I knew would stay modestly sized. My next grow will be different due to the genetics involved. If I stick with the 2x4, two plants will be it. OTOH, I am thinking of expanding it to 4x4 for four plants. The jury is still out.

Anyway, good luck with the new space, I hope you have some fun with it, and grow some great bud. :pighug:

Height is 5.5 feet. I mostly stick with indica heavy autos so that shouldn’t be much of a problem. If it is I can keep them pretty low with training. I have had some monsters in this tent but yeah with some of the tight small strains it seems downright roomy in a 2x2.5 space. 4x4 would be perfect for my needs but 3x3 I think will work pretty well when I get frisky and want to bonsai the shit out of them. Lol

Back