4 day old seedling / lime green veins

Canna is great stuff, and I've heard about people using Plagron successfully as well.

If someone told you that you can't grow autoflowers with chemical fertilizer, that person is dangerously deranged, lol. I can confirm that you can grow absolutely FIRE autoflowers with chemicals.

So what will change compared to soil, do you need to feed sooner?
Because looking at feeding charts, it's the same schedule as soil.
Is watering coco the same PH as soil? And would you wait for the pot to get 50% lighter and water again?
I guess chemicals also come with flushing at the end.

I mean I'm willing to try it since there's alot of negative vibes towards biobizz.
I could get canna coco professional plus and micro bloom grow from either GHE or Advanced Nutrients.
You don't even use any additional products?

Everything will change. Coco is what's called soilless.. Coco is as close to hydro as you can get without a hydro set up. You use it as you would a hydro set up.. Daily feeds/watering.. Daily ph'ing and checking ppms.. if you want to use it without issues, it can become somewhat high maintenance.. You can't just water coco and come back 3 days later and expect everything to be fine, like you can in soil. I'm one of those people that would not recommend coco to a beginner like yourself. Every medium has its pros and cons. Try to match your growing medium to your growing mentality/style. If you have a good understanding of how nutrients work and how to fix issues, and you like being in total control of the plants health, soilless/hydro is the way to go.. If you prefer to be less hands on and let the plant to more work, then soil may be the choice. I often to tell new growers to pick a grow style first.. One that fits you and makes sense to you.. Then pick a medium based on that choice. It will make learning much easier.

Everything will change. Coco is what's called soilless.. Coco is as close to hydro as you can get without a hydro set up. You use it as you would a hydro set up.. Daily feeds/watering.. Daily ph'ing and checking ppms.. if you want to use it without issues, it can become somewhat high maintenance.. You can't just water coco and come back 3 days later and expect everything to be fine, like you can in soil. I'm one of those people that would not recommend coco to a beginner like yourself. Every medium has its pros and cons. Try to match your growing medium to your growing mentality/style. If you have a good understanding of how nutrients work and how to fix issues, and you like being in total control of the plants health, soilless/hydro is the way to go.. If you prefer to be less hands on and let the plant to more work, then soil may be the choice. I often to tell new growers to pick a grow style first.. One that fits you and makes sense to you.. Then pick a medium based on that choice. It will make learning much easier.
I honestly enjoy taking care of the plants, I would still check them daily even if its just to look at the change.
So I would say coco interests me the most, but no I don't understand when plants need nutrients as I'm new to this,
I can follow a schedule lol.
Do you think following a schedule could work? If not maybe its better I stick to soil, I don't want to fuck up a 3rd grow
I can get Advanced Nutrients or GHE which seems to be used by alot of people so I guess more info on feedings?

Last edited:
Sometimes it's a crap shoot, roll the dice, see what happens. 2 x hash bomb seeds in same HF mix...completely different results.
20210302_165729.jpg

From my perspective, there is a never-ending supply of poorly mixed organic soil threads, and from my experience just following the recipes on a bottle of fertilizer gets you 80% if the way there in coco. It really comes down to your personal involvement with the plants as @Proph mentioned. For me, I have a 3-4x schedule that's just a part of my day at this point. For others, that probably sounds like total lunacy. I have a very low plant count, so I can obsess.

I've not used the GHE formulation of the Trio, so I can't comment on whether it's superior to the other products you can get access to. If you can look up "Vader OG" on YouTube, he runs the Canna lineup and gets boutique-quality results using about 5 of their coco products and their bagged coco medium. He has a fairly simple flood and drain setup, a little more complicated than I'd advise and probably beyond the price point for most home growers who aren't in it for some kind of engineering fetish; I'll confess to being too-eager to over engineer.

My recommendation is to basically find a simple-to-repeat process that uses 2-5g of medium at a time. For organic & semi-soilless grows, you will want to have a wet-dry cycle that relies on pot weight as the indicator to water, fertilize, or fertigate. For coco, let 'er rip; I'll perhaps disagree a bit with what Proph said above, from my experience in large containers you can get away with a serious wet/dry cycle (up to 4 days without issue in 7 gallons of 100% coco, personal experience). With autos, that's a gamble because one dry-out and it's game-over. You can kinda fix wilt in soil grows, especially if you get good at compost extracts and compost teas (requires the ability to grow worms in-situ).

Ideally, you'll find one product that grows your chosen varietals repeatable at a single NPK ratio; @Mañ'O'Green has some fantastic content on here discussing his specific nutrient testings. His pics are also for much, much win, check it out. For my next experiment, I might try a dry one-part fertilizer with tap water in 100% coco; I've heard Jack's Citrus works for cannabis in drain-to-waste setups such as mine, but I believe that's a NA brand. Managing cost is important with coco, it's easy to go nuts so Organics does have an edge in getting started. Bag of dirt versus complicated electronics to measure fertilizer concentration before feeding. I've found that following a very low-dosing method with frequent feedings, I can get away just measuring pH using liquid drops which saves a ton of money. That said, it's from using this formula for years with a pen that really got me here, and my tap water is not going to be anything like your tap water when it comes to recommending specific fertilizers.

Ultimately, just do whatever stokes your fire. It's hard that prohibition has created such a whirlwind of opinions with very little in-person mentorship or feedback. Most of us are still doing this at much personal risk, and that really plays into how we feel about our setups. The most important thing I want to emphasize is keep asking these questions. Personally, I'd have spent a lot less wasted money up front if I'd asked as many questions as you have, so good on you.

Last edited:
From my perspective, there is a never-ending supply of poorly mixed organic soil threads, and from my experience just following the recipes on a bottle of fertilizer gets you 80% if the way there in coco. It really comes down to your personal involvement with the plants as @Proph mentioned. For me, I have a 3-4x schedule that's just a part of my day at this point. For others, that probably sounds like total lunacy. I have a very low plant count, so I can obsess.

I've not used the GHE formulation of the Trio, so I can't comment on whether it's superior to the other products you can get access to. If you can look up "Vader OG" on YouTube, he runs the Canna lineup and gets boutique-quality results using about 5 of their coco products and their bagged coco medium. He has a fairly simple flood and drain setup, a little more complicated than I'd advise and probably beyond the price point for most home growers who aren't in it for some kind of engineering fetish; I'll confess to being too-eager to over engineer.

My recommendation is to basically find a simple-to-repeat process that uses 2-5g of medium at a time. For organic & semi-soilless grows, you will want to have a wet-dry cycle that relies on pot weight as the indicator to water, fertilize, or fertigate. For coco, let 'er rip; I'll perhaps disagree a bit with what Proph said above, from my experience in large containers you can get away with a serious wet/dry cycle (up to 4 days without issue in 7 gallons of 100% coco, personal experience). With autos, that's a gamble because one dry-out and it's game-over. You can kinda fix wilt in soil grows, especially if you get good at compost extracts and compost teas (requires the ability to grow worms in-situ).

Ideally, you'll find one product that grows your chosen varietals repeatable at a single NPK ratio; @Mañ'O'Green has some fantastic content on here discussing his specific nutrient testings. His pics are also for much, much win, check it out. For my next experiment, I might try a dry one-part fertilizer with tap water in 100% coco; I've heard Jack's Citrus works for cannabis in drain-to-waste setups such as mine, but I believe that's a NA brand. Managing cost is important with coco, it's easy to go nuts so Organics does have an edge in getting started. Bag of dirt versus complicated electronics to measure fertilizer concentration before feeding. I've found that following a very low-dosing method with frequent feedings, I can get away just measuring pH using liquid drops which saves a ton of money. That said, it's from using this formula for years with a pen that really got me here, and my tap water is not going to be anything like your tap water when it comes to recommending specific fertilizers.

Ultimately, just do whatever stokes your fire. It's hard that prohibition has created such a whirlwind of opinions with very little in-person mentorship or feedback. Most of us are still doing this at much personal risk, and that really plays into how we feel about our setups. The most important thing I want to emphasize is keep asking these questions. Personally, I'd have spent a lot less wasted money up front if I'd asked as many questions as you have, so good on you.

I watched some of the videos from Vader OG, I must his system looks really cool.
but obviously way above my level lol.
I wonder why he lets his seedling stretch actually.
Does it have anything to do with measuring daily light income?
Because when I tried to measure to umol/dli my lamp would be at 25% at 60cm distance, was about 200umol and 12 DLI (which from what I've read online is adviced for autoflower seedlings)
but I never seen anyone keep their lights (300watt) below 50% tbh, and when I tried it they started stretching.

From what I've researched GHE, Advanced Nutrients and Canna are probably the most popular brands.
The Canna nutrients are a bit too expensive, I have to buy them by the liter and would cost alot.
It's either GHE or Adv Nutrients, perhaps it's better for me to try that instead of using biobizz line since no one can say anything good about it lol. Would the 3 base fertilizers be enough then? Because both schedules advice a ton of the other products, ofcourse lol.
GHE also has flora bloom and grow coco nutrients.
and AN has Sensi A + B grow and bloom in coco nutrients.
It's getting a little overwhelming lol.

I'm also a little confused.
Lets take Biobizz line as an example, that Lightmix schedule and Coco schedule is exactly the same,
does this make sense? It would be 3 weeks without any feeding.
And at this point would you feed everyday instead of twice a week? Or do you still go with just water between feedings?
I honestly have alot of questions.

What about Advanced Nutrients being Ph perfect, does that actually work?

Sorry for all the questions :s

Last edited:
When I removed the plants from the soil they barely had roots.

Now I been reading up on coco and decided to go with that,
so I got Plagron premium coco with 20% perlite added and GHE floratrio nutrients, I took the hard water set because my tapwater has fairly much cal/mag in it reading 200-300 ppm 0.6EC, hopefully I did right by chosing the hard set because with my luck lately... wait till you hear my latest fail.
I didn't get any extra GHE products so I can start of simple. I do have Bio roots from Biobizz that I can use

Now the coco is pre-buffered so I can just saturate with plain water before planting correct?
From what I understand you need to keep coco wet at all times,
so humidity plays a big part, and here comes my latest mistake.

I had a small humidifier that I needed to fill twice a day and didn't reach over 60%.
So I bought a 4L humidifier with a built in humidistat.
Only to find out the humidistat reads all wrong, the sensor is built inside and my external hygrometers read a 10 - 20% difference.
I asked the manufacturer if that's normal and they said the sensor doesn't read very well and most people don't use it and depend on external meters. But at this point there's no way to select the desired RH% since you can only turn it on/off and choose mist levels.
The humidifier is from Garden High Pro called Humipro.

Anyway... lol

Why not just cut out all the brain damage and just go hydro, then all your problems magically disappear, unless you are particularly wanting to go organic soil.

Why not just cut out all the brain damage and just go hydro, then all your problems magically disappear, unless you are particularly wanting to go organic soil.
+rep for the helpful, relevant post

Last edited:
Back