A TIP FOR MAKING CANNABIS LOTIONS AND CREAMS

Nuggz

Welcome to the CannaZone
Reaction score
A lot of folks these days are making medical marijuana topicals for pain relief. Usually these are made either as a salve (beeswax plus cannabis infused oil) or as a cream or lotion that includes a mix of cannabis infused oil, emulsifying wax and distilled water among other ingredients.

But to make things simple, a lot of people are also buying an over-the-counter lotion or cream and simply adding cannabis infused oils to it which is probably the easiest way to go about it.

Because over-the-counter lotions will always contain a mix of both water and oil based ingredients, you can very easily tweak your medical marijuana cream or lotion and make it more effective by adding one other ingredient, MSM (methylsulfonylmethane). It is a safe and natural form of sulfur which has earned a substantial reputation in its own right as a topical pain reliever and anti-inflammatory. Almost every pain relief cream or lotion on the market today contains MSM.

I have used MSM extensively in lotions and creams, hair products, and taken it internally as a reliable detoxifier that can clean out your liver and entire system of any harmful things lurking in hidden and unseen places.

http://theshawnstevensonmodel.com/7-benefits-of-msm-the-miracle-supplement/

While MSMs benefits are widely known, the one thing people seldom mention or maybe don't even know about is the fact that MSM is an outstanding delivery system. It works much like DMSO does without the telltale garlic smell that usually identifies DMSO users. When you add MSM to a medical marijuana cream or lotion, it will help the cannabinoids and THC penetrate past your skin layers and allow it to penetrate deep into the muscle tissue below.

MSM is easy to add to over-the counter lotions and creams along with your cannabis infused oil. As a general rule, MSM should make up about 12% of your total ingredients. To know how much to add, you'll need to add the number of ounces of the lotion or cream you are using to the number of ounces of cannabis oil you will be adding and multiply that total by .12 to determine how much MSM you will need.

MSM easily dissolves in hot water. Make sure you use distilled water rather than tap water. I like to put the MSM in a separate container, nuke another small container of water and then slowly add just enough hot water to the MSM powder to dissolve it completely while stirring constantly.

Once it's dissolved, you can add the MSM and your cannabis infused oil to the over-the- counter cream or lotion and blend it well. Using a stick blender is about the easiest way to do this.

I think it's a good idea to start out choosing a fairly thick over-the-counter cream, because by the time you add your cannabis infused oil and MSM, thinner lotions can become fairly runny. If that happens, you can thicken a lotion or cream up again by adding a wee bit of melted emulsifying wax, or a food grade thickening agent like guar gum powder which you can find on Amazon.

I buy my MSM powder from Swanson Vitamins here:

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/lifetime-vitamins-pure-msm-powder-16-oz-pwdr

As a word of caution, any over-the-counter lotion or cream is required by law to contain a preservative and a number of cosmetic manufacturers still use paraben based preservatives in spite of the fact that parabens have been linked to cancer. If you would like to start off with a cream or lotion that contains no harmful ingredients and uses a safe preservative try looking on Etsy. https://www.etsy.com/ If you do a search there on "Paraben Free Hand Cream" you will likely find a number of safe and natural hand creams to use as the base for your medical marijuana topical cream.

On the other hand, you could always take the plunge and learn to make your own creams and lotions from scratch. You'll find lots of DIY videos on that subject on YouTube.

Does this lotion have a strong odor to it? I have a friend who complains about pains and aches, but has some reservations about marijuana. I wouldn't mind offering him a bit of my "wonder ointment" and then just not telling him the secret ingredient, but if he sniffed out the weed and ratted me I'd have some problems.

Does this lotion have a strong odor to it? I have a friend who complains about pains and aches, but has some reservations about marijuana. I wouldn't mind offering him a bit of my "wonder ointment" and then just not telling him the secret ingredient, but if he sniffed out the weed and ratted me I'd have some problems.

I would not give anyone cannabis (in any form) and not tell them.

As for the smell...You can add an essential oil like peppermint to mask the smell...or you can do a water cure on your buds/trim.

I would not give anyone cannabis (in any form) and not tell them.
X 1,000 what Root said.
I would also add that anything added to a rub, cream or lotion such as MSM or DMSO also needs full disclosure.
As Nuggz pointed out:
As a word of caution, any over-the-counter lotion or cream is required by law to contain a preservative and a number of cosmetic manufacturers still use paraben based preservatives in spite of the fact that parabens have been linked to cancer. If you would like to start off with a cream or lotion that contains no harmful ingredients and uses a safe preservative try looking on Etsy. https://www.etsy.com/
Studies on MSM are still trying to decide just how mobile it is in the body, and what compounds it may carry on it's travels ( unlike DMSO, a "cousin" solvent, which is renowned for it's ability to bond with and mobilize chemical compounds).
I would not use either in anything but the purest ingredients, no preservatives or artificial anything, and only in glass jars, to avoid possible contamination from petroleum products.
Just my :2cents:.

I have had two containers of DMSO for months...tbh I'm scared of it.
Probably from my old cowboy days and hearing stories from the old timers on what can happen with DMSO.
But some people use it all the time with no issue.

I use it in some rubs, and think it adds deeper relief, though it does oxidize and darken the rub. I guinea pigged on myself, and straight shots are a bit scary (it really heats up in my throat). Not a cure-all, but a good tool.:biggrin:

MSM is safe and it's used extensively, not just for pain relief, but for beauty products as well. Though it's required by law to be called methylsulfonylmethane in ingredient lists, it's the sulphur mineral that is required by your body for the healthy production of skin, hair and nails.

"Is MSM Safe?

Published scientific studies have shown MSM to be safe for human and animal use. Even at large dosage levels, there are no known significant adverse effects or drug interactions. Notably, these studies were conducted on highly purified forms of MSM; consumers should determine if the MSM they use has been appropriately processed to remove microscopic toxins or impurities.

Some manufacturers are taking extra steps to ensure product safety

MSM and Allergies - MSM Side Effect
There have been no reported cases of allergic reactions to MSM in the medical literature, though there are a handful of unpublished anecdotes of minor side effects like loose stools, stomach upset or skin rashes, conditions which disappeared immediately after stopping the supplementation.

Dr. Stanley Jacob M.D. of the Oregon Health & Science University reports treating over 18,000 patients in his medical practice, some of whom where given very high dosages, without adverse effects."​

(source: http://www.msmguide.com/facts/safety/)

And, according to WebMD…

"MSM is a chemical found in plants, animals, and humans. It can also be made in a laboratory. People use it as a medicine.

MSM is used for chronic pain, osteoarthritis, joint inflammation, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, bursitis, tendonitis, tenosynovitis, musculoskeletal pain, muscle cramps, scleroderma, scar tissue, stretch marks, hair loss, wrinkles, protection against sun/wind burn, eye inflammation, oral hygiene, periodontal disease, wounds, cuts, and abrasions/accelerated wound healing. It is either taken by mouth or applied to the skin for these uses. You may have heard about MSM because of the bookThe Miracle of MSM: The Natural Solution for Pain. There isn’t much published scientific research to support its use. (
This, by the way is in error. There is tons of research on MSM)

MSM is also used for relief of allergies, chronic constipation, “sour stomach,” ulcers, a bowel disease called diverticulosis, premenstrual syndrome(PMS), mood elevation, obesity, poor circulation, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. It is also used for type 2 diabetes, liverproblems, Alzheimer’s disease, lung disorders including emphysema and pneumonia, chronic fatigue syndrome, autoimmune disorders (systemiclupuserythematous), HIV infection and AIDS, and cancer (breast cancer and colon cancer).

Other uses of MSM include eye inflammation, mucous membrane inflammation, temporomandibular joint (TMJ) problems, leg cramps, migraine, headaches, hangover, parasitic infections of the intestinal and urogenital tracts including Trichomonas vaginalis and Giardia, yeast infections, insect bites, radiation poisoning, and to boost the immune system.

MSM is also used to control snoring. In fact, directions for making MSM nose drops for snoring have been published, but there’s no evidence that MSM has any effect on snoring.

Contrary to some MSM promotional literature, there is no Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for MSM or sulfur, which it contains. Sulfur deficiency has not been described in the medical literature.

How does it work?
MSM might supply sulfur to make other chemicals in the body."

(source: http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-522-MSM (METHYLSULFONYLMETHANE).aspx?activeIngredientId=522&activeIngredientName=MSM (METHYLSULFONYLMETHANE)

@Nigga thanks for sharing this! @Root didn't you post about a salve that helped speed the recovery time of a wound? Do you have a link to that recipe?

Back