Grow Mediums Amending soil/topfeed autopot experiments

Zinku418

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Hey! New to the forum, just interested in sharing my learning as I attempt to create a amended soil blend suitable for autopots, in case anyone has had the thoughts, but not the courage to potentially ruin their grow.

I had a blunder with my last run, and had cloned a few plants, and reset. I popped some fresh seedlings also as to fill out the two tents i have set up. right now I got them all in one tent while my latest harvest finishes up. I just transplanted everything into the 15l plastic pots yesterday, and have watered it in using a electric sprayer with the pump on the lowest power setting.

The soil blend is single source amendments from Down to Earth, and Nectar of the Gods One shot granular pellets.
I used 8 2000ml pitchers of promix HP and 2 tablespoons of blood meal, 6 tablespoons of bone meal, crab meal, kelp meal and insect frass. Finished off with 12 tablespoons of NoTG one shot. This filled around 1 1/2 15L pots, so i had mixed up several batches to fill up the 8 pots im using.

Strains are: Dead chem head(Chem D x Chemdog BX2) X Casey Jones FEM by connoisseur genetics
Big band(Bubblegum x chronic) X black domina FEM by Kannabia Seeds
Sour cookies X White runtz FEM by SOLOUD seeds
Meghan's cake (platinum kush breath remix X wedding crasher) REG by Adhesive genetics
Frosty's Biscuits (ape biscuit x white runtz) REG by dynastymeds

I start everything in fabric nursery pots, so I can tag them and keep track easily through the grow.
going on vacation 1/20, hope they'll be able to be hooked up to the res, if not Ill have to pay my bird babysitter more money to water LOL

Attachments

• 20220106_113159.jpg
    20220106_113159.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Hey! New to the forum, just interested in sharing my learning as I attempt to create a amended soil blend suitable for autopots, in case anyone has had the thoughts, but not the courage to potentionally ruin their grow.

I had a blunder with my last run, and had cloned a few plants, and reset. I popped some fresh seedlings also as to fill out the two tents i have set up. right now I got them all in one tent while my latest harvest finishes up. I just transplanted everything into the 15l plastic pots yesteray, and have watering it in using a electric sprayer with the pump on the lowest power setting.

The soil blend is single source amendments from Down to Earth, and Nectar of the Gods One shot granular pellets.
I used 8 2000ml pitchers of promix HP and 2 tablespoons of blood meal, 6 tablespoons of bone meal, crab meal, kelp meal and insect frass. Finished off with 12 tablespoons of NoTG one shot. This filled around 1 1/2 15L pots, so i had mixed up several batches to fill up the 8 pots im using.

I start everything in fabric nursery pots, so i can tag them and keep track easily through the grow.
going on vacation 1/20, hope they'll be able to be hooked up to the res, if not Ill have to pay my bird babysitter more money to water LOL

Welcome to AFN! :D

Good luck with the grow!!
:goodluck:

Welcome. I have no useful opinion on your soil mix other than to say it seems light on Ca but maybe the crab meal is enough. I would defer to @pop22 @Fermented_Fruitz @WildBill @Waira and others. Good luck and keep us advised!
Thank you. I appreciate the input, and have some liquid cal mag on standby if need be. I am hoping not to use it, as the goal here is just to amend the soil and supplement with Root Organics Terp tea line as the topfeed. just water in the res.

Howdy @Zinku418 and :welcome:

2 things…..

1) Can u get your city’s water report if u are using tap water?? If u have acceptable levels of cal and mag in your tap u prob won’t need to supplement anything! Mine on the other hand is such hard water I’d need to use 4 parts RO to 1 part of my tap! :yoinks:

2) CAN U DO YOUR SOIL BY THE 5GAL BUCKET NEXT TIME??? Extremely hard to know if u used appropriate amount for amendments in that mix going off your 2000ml of soil figure! :d5:

Howdy @Zinku418 and :welcome:

2 things…..

1) Can u get your city’s water report if u are using tap water?? If u have acceptable levels of cal and mag in your tap u prob won’t need to supplement anything! Mine on the other hand is such hard water I’d need to use 4 parts RO to 1 part of my tap! :yoinks:

2) CAN U DO YOUR SOIL BY THE 5GAL BUCKET NEXT TIME??? Extremely hard to know if u used appropriate amount for amendments in that mix going off your 2000ml of soil figure! :d5:
I have a well but I have to use ro water, my well input ppm is 780ppm, visible traces of iron in the water.

The 5 gallon bucket is a great idea. I didn't think of that obviously lol. I use a cement mixing pan to mix my batches up and it can hold roughly 7 gallons of cement, but I leave some space at the top so soil doesn't spill over. I know that doesn't help much but I'm explaining my reasoning.

About to water ph 6.2 ppm 17 (after ro)

Usually 20 seconds per plant on a electric pump sprayer, set to low.

Attachments

• 20220108_140654.jpg
    20220108_140654.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 90
Hey! New to the forum, just interested in sharing my learning as I attempt to create a amended soil blend suitable for autopots, in case anyone has had the thoughts, but not the courage to potentially ruin their grow.

I had a blunder with my last run, and had cloned a few plants, and reset. I popped some fresh seedlings also as to fill out the two tents i have set up. right now I got them all in one tent while my latest harvest finishes up. I just transplanted everything into the 15l plastic pots yesterday, and have watered it in using a electric sprayer with the pump on the lowest power setting.

Strains are: Dead chem head(Chem D x Chemdog BX2) X Casey Jones FEM by connoisseur genetics
Big band(Bubblegum x chronic) X black domina FEM by Kannabia Seeds
Sour cookies X White runtz FEM by SOLOUD seeds
Meghan's cake (platinum kush breath remix X wedding crasher) REG by Adhesive genetics
Frosty's Biscuits (ape biscuit x white runtz) REG by dynastymeds

I start everything in fabric nursery pots, so I can tag them and keep track easily through the grow.
Do you have previous experience with those fabric nursery pots And transplanting? That interests me very much. I’ve been having a terrible time getting transplant right.

watching with interest

Do you have previous experience with those fabric nursery pots And transplanting? That interests me very much. I’ve been having a terrible time getting transplant right.

watching with interest
Yeah this will be the fifth time I've used them. I love them. The roots grow through and you just plop it into the new container with no issues. Also with being able to write on them I have no problems being able to keep track of what's what the whole time.

Yeah this will be the fifth time I've used them. I love them. The roots grow through and you just plop it into the new container with no issues. Also with being able to write on them I have no problems being able to keep track of what's what the whole time.
Do you have a source of supply where I don’t have to buy 200 of them? I just want to try a few, and don’t want the waste.

Back