Grow Mediums Autopot setup with fabric pots - gap in the circular base

_state_of_mind_

Cultivators Club
Reaction score
I decided to go with the Autopot Xl system, but I didn't want to use the plastic pots that came with it. Instead, I went with 3 gallon fabric pots, but the only thing is that when I place the fabric pot in the autopot tray/base, there is about an inch of gap across the entire circumference - so far, this has posed no issues with the ability of the system to wick up the nutes. I haven't had any overflow issues either. Do I need to be concerned about this gap or given that everything has been going good, should I just not think too much about it?

Also, I am seeing lots of root tips around the bottom of the fabric pot all around the pot - not sure if this is normal? These are vivosun fabric pots.

Ahhhh, that's what it's for! :rofl: .. makes sense now! ^_^ I've only been using them for years without knowing why!
Think it's even mentioned in the instruction booklet. The hard pots have flat coppers and think they have "copper socks" that go on their fabric pots. They go up the side a couple inchs or so.

i use the 5gal fabric pots. Bill is correct, They have a “pot sock” for the bottoms to prevent roots from growing into the trays and eventually into the auto valves themselves.

Are you using airdromes?

I have put the copper bottom (after making sure that it is facing the correct direction) in the bottom of the 3 gallon pot (Autopot XL has a plastic pot that is of a conical shape, as in, it's a smaller circle at the bottom and becomes larger at the top), so the copper thingie fits the base of my fabric pot perfect.

The roots aren't coming through the bottom of the pot, but just above the bottom where it is in contact with water (the 1 inch gap I was referring to in the OP). Also, the roots are coming out fully, but I can see the tips of them poking a tiny bit through.

Think it's even mentioned in the instruction booklet. The hard pots have flat coppers and think they have "copper socks" that go on their fabric pots. They go up the side a couple inchs or so.
Ah, that makes sense. My system didn't come with the socks, just the base copper plate.

Might just have to watch n wait.....If they stick out too far a pair of scissors will keep em in line.

Back