Indoor Blood Orange Haze and 4assed Monkey x Toof Decay

About the end of day 22, growth has sped up a little. Watered, adjusted the training some, chopped down more cover crop. This is my first time doing cover crop, but how extra thick I sewed it has essentially made a ~3/4” to 1” thick mat of roots/cover crop/mulched cover crop mixed with the pine shavings on top of my soil. It’s really spongy to press on and I assume underneath it is full of life, I’ll try to remember to take pics when I pull some back to top dress a little.

This grow continues to be really simple so far with only one small hiccup of a small amount of runoff after one watering a week ago. Was worried about the 3.0 soil being hot at first as some people have run into, but so far it’s been fine.

IMG_7376.jpeg

BOH on the left and 4AM x TD on the right

IMG_7378.jpeg

Day 25 coming to an end, all plants are doing well. Light is about 24” at 70%, staying under 80 degrees F and 67%. I have noticed my lights off temp is lower than the lung room temp, by few degrees. I’m thinking this is from the big thermal mass from two 25 gallon fabric beds. It’s not a problem, just something I noticed. Makes me think about ways to keep the soil warmer for next winter instead of heating the lung room as much.

Did some training, watering as normal, had one night it got a tad chilly in there when it was super windy and cold outside, but the ladies don’t seem to be affected by jt.

IMG_7408.jpeg

Blood Orange Haze on the left, 4assed Monkey x Toof Decay on the right.

IMG_7407.jpeg

Day 25 coming to an end, all plants are doing well. Light is about 24” at 70%, staying under 80 degrees F and 67%. I have noticed my lights off temp is lower than the lung room temp, by few degrees. I’m thinking this is from the big thermal mass from two 25 gallon fabric beds. It’s not a problem, just something I noticed. Makes me think about ways to keep the soil warmer for next winter instead of heating the lung room as much.

Did some training, watering as normal, had one night it got a tad chilly in there when it was super windy and cold outside, but the ladies don’t seem to be affected by jt.

View attachment 1660697
Blood Orange Haze on the left, 4assed Monkey x Toof Decay on the right.

View attachment 1660698
Heat mats work slick for keeping the soil warm. Even a little 10”x20” seedling mat under those planters will help a bunch. You wont need a thermo control with the little mats and big soil mass you run.Cold climate folks like to lay down foam, then heat mat, then tray/saucer.
A cheap $5 dial type thermometer for the soil is worth every penny. I use cooking style thermometers that can measure within the range I grow in.
Cheers
Os

Heat mats work slick for keeping the soil warm. Even a little 10”x20” seedling mat under those planters will help a bunch. You wont need a thermo control with the little mats and big soil mass you run.Cold climate folks like to lay down foam, then heat mat, then tray/saucer.
A cheap $5 dial type thermometer for the soil is worth every penny. I use cooking style thermometers that can measure within the range I grow in.
Cheers
Os
Right on! I’ll actually be putting these beds ontop of some autopot trays, so unfortunately putting my seedling mats underneath won’t help in the future. I got time to figure this out as I assume the coldest of the year has just passed, and it wasn’t terrible, the low was 66/67 and only for a little bit. I’m mainly trying to figure out an easier and cheaper way than upping my lung room’s heat during lights out. I should look at the sizes of those smaller oil filled heaters, maybe one can still fit with the trays in

i grew that 4am x td freebie outside this summer, i liked the piney terps on it a lot and it had nice christmas tree shaped buds. it was very vigorous.

Right on! I’ll actually be putting these beds ontop of some autopot trays, so unfortunately putting my seedling mats underneath won’t help in the future. I got time to figure this out as I assume the coldest of the year has just passed, and it wasn’t terrible, the low was 66/67 and only for a little bit. I’m mainly trying to figure out an easier and cheaper way than upping my lung room’s heat during lights out. I should look at the sizes of those smaller oil filled heaters, maybe one can still fit with the trays in
What temperature of water do you water your plants with? I warm my water to a few degrees of what temperature I'm running in the tent.
This is going to be even more important when you set up your tray2 grow. With you having two of them I would suggest getting the biggest reservoir that you can fit into your space somewhere outside your tent.
That should help somewhat. And it also depends on what type of flooring you have the tent set on. Do you have concrete, hardwood flooring, or carpet? Your flooring could be eating up quite a bit of heat.
If you have AC Infinity Fan with controlle, I think you can set the fans to come on at a low temp also.
From an organic sense, you really do need to have a bit warmer Soil temperatures for better microbial activity.

What temperature of water do you water your plants with? I warm my water to a few degrees of what temperature I'm running in the tent.
This is going to be even more important when you set up your tray2 grow. With you having two of them I would suggest getting the biggest reservoir that you can fit into your space somewhere outside your tent.
That should help somewhat. And it also depends on what type of flooring you have the tent set on. Do you have concrete, hardwood flooring, or carpet? Your flooring could be eating up quite a bit of heat.
If you have AC Infinity Fan with controlle, I think you can set the fans to come on at a low temp also.
From an organic sense, you really do need to have a bit warmer Soil temperatures for better microbial activity.
Hmm, I’m not sure the temp of my water, it’s room temp in my lung room which is 70ish, so probably just a little cooler than that. My tent is on carpet but my floors aren’t super insulated. It’s just with this cold snap I saw it dip lower than I would like. I’m gonna put the trays on top of some insulating foam board, but was also thinking about maybe a seedling mat under my reservoir or a fish tank heater since in the summer the AC will be bumping

I forgot to add that I checked my temps with other devices besides my AC Infinity probe, and at lights off there is a noticeable drop from the top of my tent to the bottom. Like once it’s all settled from the light being off, my probe is just above the tops of my beds, and it’s a good 4-5 degrees cooler. Even with slightly warmer air being drawn in by my exhaust fan running, it stays kinda cool down there. Again this has been more with this crazy weather, but I know it’s something I want to figure out a simple solution for. I even tried cranking my heat up in my lung room, and it takes a lot of heat to keep my probe reading in the 70’s right now with the tent door shut. I can run it with the door open, but that’s a short term fix. I was thinking about maybe some long skinny seedling mats hung against the longer sides of the pot on a timer for lights out, mostly because it stays out of the way.

I forgot to add that I checked my temps with other devices besides my AC Infinity probe, and at lights off there is a noticeable drop from the top of my tent to the bottom. Like once it’s all settled from the light being off, my probe is just above the tops of my beds, and it’s a good 4-5 degrees cooler. Even with slightly warmer air being drawn in by my exhaust fan running, it stays kinda cool down there. Again this has been more with this crazy weather, but I know it’s something I want to figure out a simple solution for. I even tried cranking my heat up in my lung room, and it takes a lot of heat to keep my probe reading in the 70’s right now with the tent door shut. I can run it with the door open, but that’s a short term fix. I was thinking about maybe some long skinny seedling mats hung against the longer sides of the pot on a timer for lights out, mostly because it stays out of the way.
Can you flip the air intake and exhaust around? If you intake up high and exhaust low you will likely see at least a couple degree increase in tent maybe as much as 10 during a cold snap. Keep fan on very low setting at lights out.
(Alaska indoor gardener tricks to fight the cold and dry winter air).
Cheers
Os

Back