Bob's Journey into Hybridisation and Genetics - For Dummies

A while ago, @Shiva's Mistress pointed me towards La Buena Hierba. Telling me they have regular auto's for sale. So I went onto the site and after some serious selecting and chatting with the owner, I ended up with the Super-Auto Copacabana Haze. It's got a fairly long lifespan and that's where the Super-Auto term comes from. These cultivars have been back-crossed to the original photo parent so many times that only a very small part of the auto gene is left. But they still autoflower after four weeks.
:cool1: Right on Bob! LBH is a fantastic breeder, and one of the oldest... His work was class leading 10+ years ago with his superb auto Haze lines in particular. The Haze Diesel was a cult fav' here for a while! To this day, he's still the Man for quality - :thumbsup:

He made his first fems a few years ago, semi-auto crosses which I figure you saw at his site? I've grown the ChemD/SD/Hz and the Asian Haze, both are excellent! Very fast outside, early triggering and speedy bloom; showed good mold resistance too... All just what he was breeding for!

The AHz has a special high, something you get only from those NLD "sativa" lineages... Haze and Thai in particular are expressed strongly in this cross in all aspects but the slow flowering...

.....trying to recall who else grew 'Bana Hz here... gotta poke around for that... :smokeit:

:cool1: Right on Bob! LBH is a fantastic breeder, and one of the oldest... His work was class leading 10+ years ago with his superb auto Haze lines in particular. The Haze Diesel was a cult fav' here for a while! To this day, he's still the Man for quality - :thumbsup:

He made his first fems a few years ago, semi-auto crosses which I figure you saw at his site? I've grown the ChemD/SD/Hz and the Asian Haze, both are excellent! Very fast outside, early triggering and speedy bloom; showed good mold resistance too... All just what he was breeding for!

The AHz has a special high, something you get only from those NLD "sativa" lineages... Haze and Thai in particular are expressed strongly in this cross in all aspects but the slow flowering...

.....trying to recall who else grew 'Bana Hz here... gotta poke around for that... :smokeit:
Yeah, had a chat with him a while ago when I was ordering. Sent him a polite invitation to come back to AFN.
He's situated in the Netherlands and weather there, just like where I'm at, can get really humid at the end of the cycle. Guess that's why he's cultivars are so mold resistant. Still I've started these seeds now just to be sure the plants finish before the end of August. I like all my plants to be gone by the end of that month as from September on the heli's are flying over to look for that specific color return with them camera's. I also grow my plants in between tomatoes and peppers, just to throw of the color return. But also because of the high humidity inside the greenhouse from then on. First year I lost about half my harvest to mold. The year after 1/3th and thought, oh well, that's part of the deal when growing outside. But last year I only had a couple of small molded parts which I can live with. Heck, last year I burned about half of the harvest, just because it was to much. It did gave me the chance to pick and chose the best looking buds and toss the leafy, larfy stuff away.

I ordered from LBH because every year he still backcrosses to the original (photo) plants. That's quite the amount of energy and time he puts into his creations. Something I'm also planning to do with my White Widow project. If I'm not mistaken the Copacabana Haze is at it's 8th generation Bx!! And also the reason he call's them "Super Auto's". Also they are regular auto's and that's still something like a unicorn in the Auto world with all the feminized seeds that are available.

Tomorrow I'll be checking the seeds for germination and transfer the sprouts into the Clonex cubes. These will be placed inside for a week or two until the rootsystem is well established and then get transplanted into a 150L tub inside the greenhouse. :thumbsup:

Oh, I've also got the Afghan Haze and Early Skunk Haze from Mr.Nice and was thinking in the direction to using those to cross with the Copacabana, adding a bit more Indica to the mix. But that's for way later. For now I just started the 5 seeds to see what they would do in the greenhouse and if I like the endproduct as the last time I grew a high Sativa dominant cultivar it gave me hart palpitations, kinda fluttering effect on my chest. Didn't like it at all.

There's more to come in this thread though, as I've got my own creations from last year I want to grow and test out, but because of the super long flowering time on this one it is the first to be shown here. :thumbsup:

So cool you're running these LBH Copa' reg autos.
Keep us updated!
My only thought -- drop more beans, so you can select parents and at least make a reproduction of the line without an out-cross.
Asian haze for days.

Back