Bob's Journey into Hybridisation and Genetics - For Dummies

New start - Season 2023
  • Hey Growers,

We're back... :raccacooniecrosseye:
    This season I've got several crosses from all different locations on the globe, which is so amazing!!! Once you make friends on AFN all sorts of goodies make it your way šŸ‘Œ:d5:
    I also dropped a penny into the original breeders wallet, which wasn't easy for a European btw and got my hands on some original warez...So without further ado...
    • Mephisto's Wedding (Original from Mephisto)
    • Double Grape x Toof Decay (Original from Mephisto)
    • Mephisto's Wedding x Forum Stomper (Cross from Force of Nature on Strainly)
    • Mephisto's Wedding x Mystery Male (unclassified until the donor says otherwise)
    1682776181767 _small.jpg

1682776181524 _small.jpg

Now the waiting game starts...I'll update you guys when I have something new to report šŸ„

Regards,

Bob :toke:

Mephisto's Wedding x Mystery male cross aka Dirty Wedding Cake F1 aka DWC F1
  • I'm curious why you decided to reverse a fem rather than growing regs?
    It was because I couldn't get my hands on any regular auto's at that time. And to be honest, using STS is a synch to create female pollen and then the resuling offspring is female only. Win-win, no? Yes and no. Yes, because it's easy to work with female's only. Especially if you have room shortage, a legal max. number of plants or just because it's illegal.
    And no, If you want to start breeding and take everything into account you just need males to play with. For instance, there's still loads more that can come over from a male candidate, which a female can't give and so, many allele's stay dormant and will not get to express themselves...Genectically speaking you double you chances in finding something special if you include males. Another popular method to eplode the amount of genetic expressions in a F1 generation is to use regular photo's to use into your auto breeding program.
    Whereas a auto x auto combination can deliver on average of four phenotypes, the use of a photo x auto will give you more then sixteen phenotypes out of many more genotypes of course.
    Another, not so popular method these days, but popular in the 80's is using the juice from a plantbulb, in which you soak the seeds before germianting and this will induce, if done right genetich mutations, ie, a triploid, tetraploid or any multiploid. There's research been done with triploidy and they found out that CDB will be amost double in a triploid offspring from a diploid motherplant. The funny thing is the THCa is almost diminished, which is of course not what we're after, but still a tech to follow up on...I've got all the ingredients in house behind lock and key, yup...it's that dangerous stuff ā˜ 

For now I've got 15+ crosses made with a regular male and so, have loads of regular seeds to play with. :woohoo1:
    Again which to thank my buddy if he's reading this :bighug:

The first will be the Wedding x Mystery male cross...Let's call it Dirty Wedding Cake F1 or DWC F1 for short...Which I'll be using this season inside the greenhouse to selectively pollinate some branches from selected females. I'm not going to try an pollinate every girl in the greenhouse as I've done my homework and want to improve upon certain treats and not create plethora of phenotypes and loose track of things. So to take a new step and not a leap, I am starting by crossing a auto fem ā™€ x auto reg ā™‚ and see what the resulting offspring will produce.
    In my SOG experiment I found out that sixteen plants is enough to find one or two special ladies, but we all know this is a numbers game. The more plants you can set and handle each, one at a time, the easier it gets to find two or three examples of that one or two peno girls...Anyway, I'm rabling...

I've germinated six seeds yesterday and took a small peek at the cotton pads this evening and saw that almost every seed on the plate did germinate and had a small to medium sized tail. Probability says the DWC F1 should be 3ā™€ & 3ā™‚. And since they are F1's hybrid vigor will be high with these offspring. :woohoo:

Germination - Day 1
  • Today I received my order of Insect Frass. 5kg of compressed pellets, ready to be mixed into the soil.
    Slow release and good food for the bennies and protection of the plants. I have about 400L mixed soil and 400L more in the greenhouse to be mixed with the previous one. So I'll be adding 800gr of pellets to the total soilmix of 800L. This will be quite the job, but this weekend rain is forecast, so the temperature inside the greenhouse will be alright. I hope I have enough to fill all my pots as there's quite the list of plant's that will want a place into some nice black gold...
    1683288066638 _small.jpg

All but one sprout have emerged from the soil. So I'm calling this day 1
    1683288066633 _small.jpg

Neather needed help in getting their helmets loose, which is just perfect. No fiddling with my thick shaky hands...
    1683288066623 _small.jpg

The Mephisto's Wedding x Forum Stomper had one sprout not emerging. If it still does, I will cull it right away. No room for slow plants in this amateur breeding attempt šŸ‘Œ
    1683288066619 _small.jpg

Both Double Grape x Toof Decay are up and running.
    1683288066614 _small.jpg

All four regular sprouts have surfaced and are A-ok :thumbsup: Let's keep our fingers šŸ¤ž that there's at least one male, but more is just fine :hump:
    1683288066579 _small.jpg

I'm also going to install an automated watering system in the greenhouse...
    I'll be running a water hose (low pressure from an IBC on the outside of the greenhouse) on the circumference of the greenhouse's interior. From this line (a low budget 3/4" garden hose) will run smaller 1/4" driplines. These will go to a solenoid valve displayed in below schematic.

50cm above the garden hose I'll hang an insulated 3 core 1,5mmĀ² cable, suited for outdoor use. There won't be running 240AC through the strands, but rather 12V, 5V and Ground. All three can easily be fed by the wires from an old computer power supply. This way I don't have to run 240 through the entire greenhouse and I don't have (low pressure) water in the vicinity of "live" connections, as shown in below schema, but rather a max of 12V which can cause a short. Safety first people āš”The 12V is for the solenoid valves and the controllers (read on...) and the 5V is for the sensors.āš”

My setup contains two parts...
    -The sensor part, which are all independent WIFI capable measuring devices. Each sensor measures moisture in the soil and can trip a relay (explained further on).
    -The solenoid valves controller. Also WIFI capable and can switch four solenoid valves independently, each channel can be switched based upon the values measured by one of the sensors, making automatic watering a reality.

I've ordered enough parts to build 16 sensors and 4 controllers, total cost...137ā‚¬. The cable I have from doing some electrical work around the house and the computer PSU I also have lying aroung and the IBC is doing nothing in my backyard for years. Only needs to be cleaned out and it's good to go. The connections for the IBC and driplines add up to another 97ā‚¬
    Greenhouse watering automation _small.png

Anyway, to few hours in a day, need to get some sleepzzzz.....

Regards,

Last edited:
    Day 3
  • Happy painting mate.
    Thanks mate!! Glad I did the soil mixing yesterday. I can't raise my hands above my head...But the wall and ceiling are done. :coffee:
    Tomorrow I'll do the baseboard and the door and then I'll still have one day off work to enjoy and do what I want...Probably use that to fill pots in the greenhouse and discover I still have not enough soil, lol

I did receive my AFN Sticker from High of the Tiger Today. :woohoo1:

1683540755729 _small.jpg

And meanwhile every sprout has emerged from the soil. So the seeds that hatched all made it to the surface!! One healthy crew ya'll :thumbsup:
    1683541345090 _small.jpg

MW x CMD, all four are looking similar in growth. They will all get their own 3.5L pot.
    1683541345085 _small.jpg

MW, these two will probably be planted together in one pot. I can choose later on which one to keep....
    1683541345080 _small.jpg

MW x FS, last seedling is really looking super healthy. A remarkable difference to the other two.
    1683541345073 _small.jpg

DG x TD, these two girls can go into one pot, just like the MW a couple of pics up, I can choose later on which one to āœ‚ļø
    1683541345068 _small.jpg

I'm keeping the soil nice and wet with the plant sprayer. Just enough to moisten the surface layer actually. And before I return the lid onto the tray I spray the inside as well. This will help in keeping that humidity high, just like these little ones like :thumbsup:

Regards,

Day 4
  • So yesterday the missus felt sorry for my aching shoulders and started painting the baseboards. I couldn't let her work alone so I painted the door and we finished yesterday evening around 9 o'clock. This morning though, I could barely move, so spent the entire day on the couch only raising my butt only for the most necessary tasks... A good day to do some edibles :dizzy:
    Only when my youngest started practicing on his trumpet after school, did I get motivated enough to do something...So I went to the tent and transferred the selected seedlings to the 3.5L pots.
    1683655737912 _small.jpg

1683655737884 _small.jpg

Some of 'm got put together, we'll see if they get it to a bigger pot or not...
    1683655737879 _small.jpg

1683655737873 _small.jpg

Each potential male has received it's own pot. These will go with the rest to the greenhouse in a couple of weeks. And as soon as they show sex, the males will be transferred back to the tent. :thumbsup:
    The females can stay, that way I have something to taste as well :eyebrows:
    1683655737865 _small.jpg

A time lapse has been setup, so that won't be long before I can share that with you guys :thumbsup:

Regards,

Day 7
  • Feck, that S.o.S. is kicking my ass today, don't know what's different, but I'm stoned as f#(k :dizzy:
    But that's not why you guys are here, right? :thumbsup::haha:

This is why you are here. :hump: AFN RULES BABY!!! :headbang:
    1683901628809 _small.jpg

These lovelies are a week old now and are starting to take off. I'm sure the roots have migrated into the surrounding soil, so watering won't have to happen for a while now. This way the roots have to go looking for water deeper into the soil, fully filling the pot in the next weeks or so.
    1683901628849 _small.jpg

When I'm actually going to transfer the pots to the greenhouse depends mainly on the weather. If everything keeps going like it is now, a week will be more then enough for the temperature to be high enough at night not to harm the ladies.
    1683901628842 _small.jpg

On the other hand, inside the tent they are receiving light 24/7, so I get two days out of every one in the greenhouse right now. It's only in June that the days becomes as long as the night...
    1683901628837 _small.jpg

But then again, nothing can beat sunlight. Even on a cloudy day the light output from the sun supersedes any artificial light one, end of story...
    1683901628833 _small.jpg

The one and only, @stan_mephisto!! Finally got my hands on some real meph gear and I'm so stoked to get these girls going.
    I've decided to put these two into one large 20gallon/75L fabric pot. You think that'll be large enough?
    1683901628828 _small.jpg

I'm also growing these two Illuminautos. Can allready see a difference in height between these two. Which one would you keep?
    1683901628776 _small.jpg

All these ladies Ć³r gents are doing great and are loving it under the lights you guys...
    1683901628770 _small.jpg

Come on, let's :goodluck: our fingers there are multiple males to choose from. *knocking on wood*
    1683901628805 _small.jpg

1683901628833 _small.jpg

1683901628837 _small.jpg

1683901628842 _small.jpg

1683901628849 _small.jpg

Interesting combination no? Two favorites from Mephisto, which by my research never made it to the Illuminautos.
    1683901628813 _small.jpg

To end things I've got a nice time lapse for you guys. Duration = 72hours, speed = 120fps. Enjoy :thanks:

Regards,

Day 11
  • Hey Growers and Wannabreeders :welcome:

Let's begin with the regulars inside the tent. These all look fairly similar so I'm really excited to find out what gender they will turn out to be. Statistics predict a 50/50 chance, but were working with live materials and it can go all directions...
    1684253200999 _small.jpg

There is quite the difference between the two Double Grape x Toof Decay's I've got, but that's ok. That's why we sow multiple seeds...and keep the strongest :thumbsup:
    1684253200992 _small.jpg

The upper one, looks like a slow grower, but the internodal space is shorter then with the lower one...
    1684253200982 _small.jpg

Mephisto's Wedding x Forum Stomper...The bigger one will be the lucky one. The smaller version is doing something strange with it's top...
    1684253200976 _small.jpg

Both Weddings look similar and healthy. They will receive a large pot my friends...Bob's is lookin' on makin some rosin for winters come...:hump:
    1684253200964 _small.jpg

Let's not forget AFN people!!! Whoohoooo:woohoo1:
    1684253200949 _small.jpg

To end today's post, here's a time lapse. Duration = 96hours, Speed = 120fps.

Regards,

Day 14
  • Hey Growers :toke:

Just a picture update for today you guys...Ladies are two weeks old and only got some water to drink.
    1684517050168 _small.jpg

1684517050165 _small.jpg

1684517050159 _small.jpg

1684517050155 _small.jpg

1684517050152 _small.jpg

1684517050148 _small.jpg

1684517050143 _small.jpg

1684517050140 _small.jpg

Today's time lapse is 73hours long and running at 60fps. Enjoy :thanks:

Regards,

Day 20
  • Keeps the mind stimulated! Must have data!:haha:
    It does, doesn't it :cheers:
    On another note, I found two males and one female today when I checked the plants that where left behind in the tent.
    1685026992613 _small.jpg

1685026992595 _small.jpg

The female has been removed from the tent and transplanted into a 7 gallon pot in the greenhouse. :thumbsup:
    1685026992620 _small.jpg

On the left side, the two males. The plant on the right hasn't showed sex yet, but I doubt it will take long until it does. The two males will stay inside the tent and if the third plant turns out to be female it'll go inside the greenhouse, but won't receive a big pot, but rather stay inside it's 3.5L pot.
    1685026992584 _small.jpg

Inside the greenhouse everything is going great. The plants are showing some signs of heat stress, but they'll overcome that. I've been lucky so far as we've have grey cloudy weather the last days, which opened up in the late afternoon...
    1685026992564 _small.jpg

This is the female Mephisto Wedding x CMD which just got transplanted :thumbsup:
    1685026992559 _small.jpg

The original Maphisto's Wedding ladies got a big 20 gallon pot to roam their roots.
    1685026992553 _small.jpg

Regards,

Last edited:
    Day 25
  • Hey growers and breeders :toke:

It's been a busy couple of weeks prepping everything for summer to come...So here's something to ease the mind while reading this post :welcome:

The ladies are doing well and starting to cope better with the hot climate inside the greenhouse.
    1685466049441 _small.jpg

Ladies are receiving 750ml/7gallon pot per day and 1250ml/20 gallon pot per day
    1685466049437 _small.jpg

The soil looks dry, but beneath the green plate the soil is nice and dark.
    1685466049430 _small.jpg

On the table are the 'leftovers'. These ladies will be used for breedin' and will get the full dose of male pollen to tickle those pistils :dancer::woody:
    1685466049423 _small.jpg

1685466049416 _small.jpg

The Mephisto Wedding x CMD is already showing pistils. That's how I knew she had to be moved to the greenhouse. She's further on now, so it's more pronounced :thumbsup:
    1685466049410 _small.jpg

1685466049404 _small.jpg

Next up...we have the two males inside the tent. These guys are amidst a whole lot of new seeds germinating in different kinds of medium.
    1685466049342 _small.jpg

Both males are showing loads of flowers in the making. Lovely how a canna grower can get happy from male plants, lol :rofl:
    1685466049380 _small.jpg

1685466049389 _small.jpg

1685466049396 _small.jpg

1685466049373 _small.jpg

1685466049362 _small.jpg

Regards,

Last edited:
    Back