Bob's Journey into Hybridisation and Genetics - For Dummies

Bob's Auto's

On a breeding journey...
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
The current harvest
Hello friends, growers and AFN fam ♥

As time progresses and you learn loads of neat stuff and there comes a time when one needs to step it up a notch. Well, I my case I got inspired by my mate Sawney who is growing his own genetics and I thought to myself..."If he can do it..." :biggrin:
No for realsies now, What he's doing is well above my knowledge level and I would like to evolve to where he is at now. So I got to reading and reading and after some time did some more reading. :wiz:
I ordered everything I needed to start with it. I went for the STS way, btw. And started with trying to create seeds with it. My first harvest of seeds, after a couple of failures where a mighty two seeds, but...but I had proven that with patience and practice I could make my own seeds. Which is actually harder then everyone makes it out to be :thanks:

But all of the above was done on a single branch of plants I was growing. This is quite unpractical as you have to be very careful you only spray that one branch. So I watched Sawneys thread and now that I have an indoor tent I am in the opportunity to grow (small) plants just for pollen. And that's what this thread is about, oh and the 'For Dummies' reference in the title is for me as while I start with this endeavor I'm quite the dummy at it :goodluck:

I started with the germination method I learned from Antonio. This removes the guesswork from seeding directly in soil.
1650285329981_small.jpg

I knew I needed small pots and found these pouches online. Biodegradable and tough enough for one grow (that has to be seen of course). The contents is about 850ml which is 3.6 US cups for those imperialists among you :biggrin:. As a reference and to help me fill the pouches, an empty jar of my favorite coffee.
1650204804912.jpg

So today several of those seeds had sprouted and the ones that had a tail of about 1cm / 0.39" or bigger went into the fabric pots...
But first I had to fill the pouches. This is easiest if you fill the jar first...
16505435326705_small.jpg

... and, like a condom, put the pouch over the jar opening...
16505435326675_small.jpg

...Turn it around and shake shake shake ♫ ♩ ♪ ♫♪ ♪ ♫
16505435326595_small.jpg

This had to be done ten times...and after that I needed to lie down a bit as my back was killing me. Lying down or standing is ok, but sitting...Oh man!!! :cuss:
16505435326555_small.jpg

Each sprout was placed inside a tiny hole only exposing the seedcap or in some cases the cotyledons and got a small humidity dome. The soil was prepared with the remaining Startrex, Bactrex, Mycotrex and Silicium Flash from the BioTabs starterpack. The BioTabs themselves have to be ordered still, but the soil is prepared as was the one inside the tent in my current grow. Oh and I watered the soil beforehand, another thing I picked up :thumbsup:
16505435326435_small.jpg

I've placed the trays inside the lung room and put my DIY cob light above the trays. Three cobs 50W (real draw) a 380-840nm, 6000-6500K & a 2900-3100K which should cover the young seedlings until they can go inside the tent.
With the small domes over them I sprayed the soil nice and wet with water and an added dose of @Phyters Rotblock. This is the final bottle I could make as the jar is empty now, but Phyter assured me his store would be open and active soon. So if you want a healthy plant go and get you some of that Rotblock as I'm for sure gonna order me a big tub as I need it in the greenhouse like a fish needs water :cheers:
16505435326385_small.jpg

1650554460337_small.jpg

1650554460341_small.jpg

1650554460347_small.jpg

1650554460334_small.jpg

Well...That sums up what I've been doing so far. I hope you guys give loads of feedback so we, but more importantly I can learn some more about the whole genetics thing :thanks:

Regards,

Bob :toke:

Last edited:
You are on track mate. Well done ✔
it's just a waiting game now for the seedlings to grow .
i will be keeping a close eye on things as you develop helping you out whenever needed . :thumbsup:
Good things will come you're way on this wee journey and I'm here for the ride. :thumbsup: I'm sure you will get loads of followers here looking to learn more. Good luck dude and karma is always watching . :stir::weed::weed::wiz:

So all the seeds I sowed have emerged or have failed. I currently have 15 'male' candidates in the soil for now.
1650710702079_small.jpg

The pouches are great! They make the soil really airy which is perfect for seedlings. The disadvantage is that they evaporate water like hell. So I have to keep there feet wet.
1650710702084_small.jpg

1650710702090_small.jpg

1650710702093_small.jpg

I dump about 200ml water per pouch in the tray and let them soak this up during the day. By the next day the water is gone and the pouches feel light when I lift them. Giving a really nice wet and dry cyclus for the bacteria and mycorhiza in the soil, which in turn benefits the rootsystem of the small seedlings.
1650710702097_small.jpg

1650710702101_small.jpg

Here's a list of all the 'males' that made it and will go through the selection proces. I've anonymized them for obvious reasons.
The 0's are original cultivars, F1 are crosses I made in the past & S1 are self'd seeds from originals.
  • 1x 013-0
  • 1x 008-0
  • 4x 102-F1
  • 3x 103-F1
  • 2x 005-0
  • 1x 002-S1
  • 1x 027-0
  • 1x 031-0
  • 1x 032-0

Regards,

Busy boy dude . I like it. :d5:
The joys of breeding when seeds fail :nono:
I always get "breeders panic" when I only have 2 seeds to keep a strain alive.
Even with one seed it's possible. But yeah, the more the better, but I don't need a thousand seeds. Just enough to play with and have enough from certain of my favorite cultivars to have for smoking. ie, have two Dinafem Amnesia XXL seeds left. I grew one of them out while playing with the solocups and the smoke is amazing. Well, one is among the 'male' crew I'm growing now and within ten days I'll be sowing the next one which will be polinated. Or do you think I should wait three weeks between males and females? Don't want to wait to long as pollen is only viable for so long...

Even with one seed it's possible. But yeah, the more the better, but I don't need a thousand seeds. Just enough to play with and have enough from certain of my favorite cultivars to have for smoking. ie, have two Dinafem Amnesia XXL seeds left. I grew one of them out while playing with the solocups and the smoke is amazing. Well, one is among the 'male' crew I'm growing now and within ten days I'll be sowing the next one which will be polinated. Or do you think I should wait three weeks between males and females? Don't want to wait to long as pollen is only viable for so long...
I start my male's and female's at the same time.
I do this for my select way of making strains. Depending on veg time e.g I had some jenos poison bear that didn't produce male flowers fast enough "long veg" on that strain, not what I look for. If you are starting strains at different times you may run into problems?
I hope this helps.

I start my male's and female's at the same time.
I do this for my select way of making strains. Depending on veg time e.g I had some jenos poison bear that didn't produce male flowers fast enough "long veg" on that strain, not what I look for. If you are starting strains at different times you may run into problems?
I hope this helps.
It depends of course on what you are selecting on. I presume you want a short as possible veg time? This doesn't perse have to be my selecting factor. It does make me think what I want to be selecting upon as I want to learn something while doing it, but also create something better different then before.
You sure helped a lot, giving me homework and all :d5:

It depends of course on what you are selecting on. I presume you want a short as possible veg time? This doesn't perse have to be my selecting factor. It does make me think what I want to be selecting upon as I want to learn something while doing it, but also create something better different then before.
You sure helped a lot, giving me homework and all :d5:
This is the joy of breeding. You can aim for what you need and want. As you know I stick to a strict regime and I have boxes to tick off.
It's a fantastic opportunity for you to gain knowledge and the understanding of the plants you are seeking out. I'm always here if you need anything dude. :d5:

Hey breeders and wannabreeders :biggrin:

I had a good back day today so...I did quite some stuff... Checked the seedlings and watered them. I put 200ml water in the trays per pouch.
My biggest and healthiest grower from the batch....008 Licence to Grow :shooty:
1650963291678_small.jpg

Some of the 103 F1's I'm growing out. The one in the back probably will be culled by tomorrow if he doesn't show a leaf set.
1650963291682_small.jpg

Depending how I angle my phone the camera picks up the fluttering from DYI Cobs. I can give you a boring technical explanation why this phenomenon happens, but instead I'll just show you guys the difference. :drunks:
1650963291695_small.jpg

Same picture slightly different angle of attack...
1650963291699_small.jpg

The 102 F1's are doing great!! From the three that emerged growth is going in a similar pace. This group will be a good candidate for fatherhood.
Yeah mate, I've been thinking about the qualities I want to select upon. Similar growth while being a new hybrid is always a good sign, no?
1650963291702_small.jpg

Hope you guys/gals find this thread informative and if you have any questions or even better answers...Don't hesitate and just ask :welcome:

Regards,

Back