Breeding Question #2

Amnesica

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Hi all,
Let's assume I have a photoperiod male ( i.e. skunk#1) and I would like to pollinate some auto feminised ( let's assume Mephisto F4 or F7 but also Mephisto Iluminautos F1).

Considering both scenarios:
- F4-7
- F1

What should be the percentage of photoperiod seeds on the first offsprings?

Many thanks all,
Amne

Hi @Amnesialocal
In my experience if you cross a auto X photo you get f1 fastflower photoperiod seeds , I have heard you can find one auto in hundred F1 plants of a cross like this but ididn't got the experience myself. In the f2 you will find autoflower phenos.

First generation, none will show the autoflowring trait. Cross two of the offspring (known as fast flowering photos) and you will begin to see the autos show up in the F2s you’ll need to continue crossing the children that auto for another several generations to stabilize the autoflower trait.

Doesn’t matter which way you go, male photo female auto, male auto female photo…. Will work out the same. The photo gene is dominant, and the auto recessive.

Many thank Tobe and Arthur!!!

My idea would be to have lot of fun, ideally being able to find a photoperiod cut I like from this process of F1 offspring.

Is there actually some kind of male strain which is relatively "neutral" bringing maybe only the photoperiod trait and nothing else?

Nope. Same as selecting for photo photo crosses or auto auto. You’ll want to be selecting for traits in both parents. You’ll always be getting half the genetic material from each parent. Am betting if you found something like you refer too (genetically bland) you wouldn’t be real fond of the offspring.

Easiest to start with something close and go from there.

IE I want to breed this photo OG to auto…. Start with something from a reputable breeder like mephisto that already has OG in its linage.

Is there actually some kind of male strain which is relatively "neutral" bringing maybe only the photoperiod trait and nothing else?
Hi @Amnesialocal
Take a look for a auto strain that act not so dominant. Make your photo X auto cross and breed them to a f3 autoflower. If it's possible hold the photoperiod mother as a mother plant. Take some cuts and cross your f3 again with photo parent.
Than you start again with the f1 from the backcross and breed again to the f3 auto. The more you do a backcross and go that way , you come closer to a auto version of the photo strain.
I hope it wasn't to confuse feel free to ask if I have to explain it again.

Many thanks Tobe,
My idea would be actually achieve photoperiod more than auto. Starting from auto female, is just because strain I am interested to ( and reputable) I could find only in Mephisto.
So I assume I can do exactly what you said to extract the original trait of the auto I like transformed into my personal photoperiod.

But crossing to F3 and after back crossing.
How many grow cycle to achieve it? 9 at least?

Thanks again, everything very interesting

Let's make a calculation to keep it simple
Photo =A
Auto=B

A X B =f1 genetic inside 50/50 from the starting parents
f1 X f1 =f2 genetic inside 50/50 from the starting parents
f2 X f2 =f3 genetic inside 50/50 from the starting parents

Now the backcross called bx1
f3 X A = f1 genetic inside 25/75 from the starting parents
f1 X f1 = f2 genetic inside 25/75 from the starting parents
f2 X f2= f3 genetic inside 25/75 from the starting parents

You can go on and on to reduce the genetic backgrounds from one parent. But you have to know it's only a example you never no exactly what the nature can give you.

Many thanks Tobe,
My idea would be actually achieve photoperiod more than auto. Starting from auto female, is just because strain I am interested to ( and reputable) I could find only in Mephisto.
So I assume I can do exactly what you said to extract the original trait of the auto I like transformed into my personal photoperiod.

But crossing to F3 and after back crossing.
How many grow cycle to achieve it? 9 at least?

Thanks again, everything very interesting
What strain?

Back