Bud rot post harvest

Reaction score
Hi all,
Got a question on bud rot... unfortunately it’s raised it’s ugly head post harvest but only affected a couple of colas. Humidity has been an issue for a long time anyway, but found it was sitting at 70-75% even with Ac blowing into tent to keep temps at 18-20, thought that may keep the air a bit dryer. I’ve now put a proper dehumidifier in there to reduce chances and set at 40% which I’ll run for at least 2 days and then raise it a little. Only hung to dry 2 days ago, hanging trimmed stems, all fan leaves with visible stems were taken off. Will carefully check buds everyday.
I somewhat panicked, removed the buds and chucked the mouldy parts without thinking of taking pictures. The mould was white n fuzzy inside the buds. I had a look under the loupe and definitely mould. Had only affected a very small section of the very top part of the colas. The buds in total being about 25cm long, the affected patch was only a section about 2-3cm right at the top. If I throw the entire buds out I’ll be down over n oz and it was only a small grow. So I broke up the buds immediately getting rid of at least the top 10cm. Separated the remaining parts of the buds from stem and closely inspected everything with loupe. From what I was looking at looked like perfectly beautiful bud filled with trichomes and the smells were deliciously sweet. Is it possible these nugs are affected just not visibly yet and would these be bad to smoke? I wouldn’t risk drying them with the rest, but have thrown them in my food dehydrator for a quick dry.
Easy answer is of course to say chuck it and I know it! But meticulously looking over them with a loupe and finding absolutely no traces I’m hesitant to waste.
Thoughts appreciated!
Thanks

As long as you’ve thrown away the mouldy parts you should be fine. Keep an eye on it as it dries just in case and ensure the humidity is right down. Personally I wet trim and put the manicured buds on a rack with a fan on them. I do it this way for many reasons and one of which is that I can check for mould as I’m harvesting.

as daipot mentioned you should be fine just keep an eye out for more

Yeah, even though you caught it and got rid of the affected parts you never know if spores were released so careful checking is the way to go.

Thanks for the thoughts guys, much appreciated :d5:
Rh is now sitting between 40-45%, I’ll run that for another day or two and then increase to 50-55%. Temps still at 18-20.
have 2 clip fans in there as well as before, so plenty of air movement. No fans blowing direct on buds but they’d be swaying a little from the air movement in the 2x4. Extraction is on full blast.
Fingers crossed I don’t find more. Going to be super meticulous and inspect daily.
Ugh.... I have the fear now!! Dammit!!! The universe is definitely screaming at me for growing in summer! I think I must of said lesson learnt half a dozen times already!

Same thing happened to me.I was drying big top colas that i kept big for the cool factor.Buds were really dense and the middle started rotting.
Now i cut big main colas in smaller buds for better drying.
Good luck!

Back