Grow Mediums Deep Water Culture Basics - Bubbleponics

I grow in a basement with a floor drain. To raise humidity I dump a bucket of water on my cement floor. It raises humidity in range in winter. If I need to lower humidity in summer I use multiple dehumidifiers

And I keep humidity in the lower end between 40 and 50 percent since its cooler don't want mold or anything bad growing.

Yes, given stable humidity~65% and temperature ~78°F constant light level, constant leaf surface area, consistent tent fan breeze, You are not replacing any nutrients or water the PPM will remain the same if the plant is using them proportionately. That is a lot of conditions to keep under control. I am not saying it cannot be done because it can in a sophisticated operation. Mine ain't that! Another problem in my style of DWC is that I never let the water/nutrient mix level drop and keep it constant at 1/2" - 1/4" below the net pot. This is accomplished using a float valve and a top - off tank. After the first couple of weeks when the plant gets bigger and starts using the nutrients PPMs start going down faster; I mix nutrients at 25% of the starting res numbers in the top-off. This is not perfect but it does keep you pretty close all week when it is time for the res change.
What kind of top off valve do you use in your 5 gallon bucket? I am getting ready to go back to DWC and have found a 16.5 gallon bucket made for growing DWC with 8” netpots. Trying to figure out what gloat valve to get that won’t get blocked by the netpot.
637A37A4-95BC-4B3C-BBE0-85B6BEE00E0C.jpeg
D9F8C971-7401-4928-9AE1-E74EF546FDA1.jpeg

Last edited:
What kind of top off valve do you use in your 5 gallon bucket? I am getting ready to go back to DWC and have found a 16.5 gallon bucket made for growing DWC with 8” netpots. Trying to figure out what gloat valve to get that won’t get blocked by the netpot.
View attachment 1010643 View attachment 1010644
I use these. In a round 5 gallon bucket I had to mount them in the lid to keep them out of the roots/net pot. In the 17 gallon bins I mounted them on the side end perpendicular and near the long wall.

ScreenHunter_173 Feb. 04 20.24.jpg

I agree with everything you say, except for a couple of things.
First, top feed adds needless complexity to a dwc system. Hand watering a couple of times a day for a week or so eliminates the need, and has less chance of splashing nutes on plants.
Second, planting seeds directly into Rapid Rooters works very well. No need for paper towels, or anything else.

I now wish to retract this statement.
In addition to adding aeration, top feed keeps the reservoir better mixed than air stones alone.

I now wish to retract this statement.
In addition to adding aeration, top feed keeps the reservoir better mixed than air stones alone.
This is true but once the roots are well into the reservoir you should turn the top feed off. This is done to prevent crown rot.

This is true but once the roots are well into the reservoir you should turn the top feed off. This is done to prevent crown rot.

I've always left top feed on the whole time without problems.
My original system was a GenHydro Ecogrower that has only top feed, and no air stones.
I've used it that way, and the plants were fine, but I now also use air stones.
Apparently GH's opinion about leaving top feed on the whole time matches my experience.

Back