Grow Mediums Deep Water Culture Basics - Bubbleponics

I've always left top feed on the whole time without problems.
My original system was a GenHydro Ecogrower that has only top feed, and no air stones.
I've used it that way, and the plants were fine, but I now also use air stones.
Apparently GH's opinion about leaving top feed on the whole time matches my experience.
I use to leave mine on also until I lost a plant to crown rot. It happened just below the hydroton level and I did not see it until it was too late.

I use to leave mine on also until I lost a plant to crown rot. It happened just below the hydroton level and I did not see it until it was too late.

Thanks for the info.
I probably need to be watchful.

Does this mean DWC in a hot equatorial weather is close to impossible without either Hydroguard (I doubt it will work when temps are too high) or an aquarium chiller?

Does this mean DWC in a hot equatorial weather is close to impossible without either Hydroguard (I doubt it will work when temps are too high) or an aquarium chiller?
clorox, 2 drops per gallon per day, can keep root rot away

clorox, 2 drops per gallon per day, can keep root rot away
Thanks so much bro. I've read that somewhere but would H2O2 be better? Or are they the same? Will it really work for daytime temps of 30C and above?

My temps are super high plus humid. A little but rot here and there is inevitable. Just gotta check often and catch it early. I'm hoping for better results in a tent where I have more control.

I also wish to just try one DWC bucket in that tent next year. If my roots can survive the soil in my fabric pots, do they stand a chance in a 5-6 gallon DWC bucket? I'll insulate it. Maybe grow a Sat dom? A small 30L aquarium chiller is pretty cheap but the extra 70-100W is not cool especially for only one plant.

Or will I be better off staying in soil? I'm pretty confused on what to expect as info is pretty contradicting. Some say hydro is more potent, faster. Some say the opposite. Some say my environment is impossible for DWC but some claim otherwise. For me, my official stand is I DON'T KNOW. I'm just a new grower wanting to try out new stuff. But I do try to research as much I can before getting my plants wet LOL

Sorry for so many questions and a big thank you for all the knowledge. I've been reading your posts since my very first grow! You da man!

Thanks so much bro. I've read that somewhere but would H2O2 be better? Or are they the same? Will it really work for daytime temps of 30C and above?

My temps are super high plus humid. A little but rot here and there is inevitable. Just gotta check often and catch it early. I'm hoping for better results in a tent where I have more control.

I also wish to just try one DWC bucket in that tent next year. If my roots can survive the soil in my fabric pots, do they stand a chance in a 5-6 gallon DWC bucket? I'll insulate it. Maybe grow a Sat dom? A small 30L aquarium chiller is pretty cheap but the extra 70-100W is not cool especially for only one plant.

Or will I be better off staying in soil? I'm pretty confused on what to expect as info is pretty contradicting. Some say hydro is more potent, faster. Some say the opposite. Some say my environment is impossible for DWC but some claim otherwise. For me, my official stand is I DON'T KNOW. I'm just a new grower wanting to try out new stuff. But I do try to research as much I can before getting my plants wet LOL

Sorry for so many questions and a big thank you for all the knowledge. I've been reading your posts since my very first grow! You da man!

H2O2 releases oxygen gas which quickly dissipates after killing microbes for a short time.
Clorox stays around longer, but must be replenished every day.
I have no idea what the upper temp limit is.

I grow in hydro with humidifiers to keep humidity in the 60s thru harvest, and have never had bud rot.

DWC has fewer chances of dirt-borne microbes, so I think you'll really like it.
I use no chillers. Fast enough exhaust fan speed can keep temp lower.
There is near unanimous agreement that hydro yields are bigger than solid medium yields, but hydro-like setups like autopots and hempy bucket come close.

Only use chlorine or H2o2 in sterile hydroponic methods of growing such as Current Culture. I prefer to have a biome in my reservoir so Botainicare works best for me. If your reservoir temps get above 78°F you will have problems with having enough dissolved oxygen for good roots. I have done it but the yields were poor. That is why I am in rockwool now.

Only use chlorine or H2o2 in sterile hydroponic methods of growing such as Current Culture. I prefer to have a biome in my reservoir so Botainicare works best for me. If your reservoir temps get above 78°F you will have problems with having enough dissolved oxygen for good roots. I have done it but the yields were poor. That is why I am in rockwool now.
Isn't rockwool just a starting media for seeding? How does that affect yields?

Isn't rockwool just a starting media for seeding? How does that affect yields?
mars.jpg

A little over 30 oz. dry for 6 plants - one in a solo cup. Whata ya think!

View attachment 1136748

A little over 30 oz. dry for 6 plants - one in a solo cup. Whata ya think!
I think it’s super awesome! But then again, U ARE super awesome. So it makes sense! LOL

But is that an ebb and flow? When you pump up the nutes, it also goes in on the top, besides only flooding the tray? That’s why I see those tubes connected to top feed?

Awesome setup! Hope I get to try hydro soon!

Back