Grow Mediums Deep Water Culture Basics - Bubbleponics

Indeed, thanks for putting it together @Mañ'O'Green . I've read it a couple times over, just not quite ready to make the jump!

Indeed, thanks for putting it together @Mañ'O'Green . I've read it a couple times over, just not quite ready to make the jump!
If you have a good environment to keep the reservoirs below 74°F without chillers etc. DWC will grow amazing plants. Mind you that hydroponics is the most time consuming of all the styles of growing and it needs attention several times EVERY DAY!

Great primer, I want to try DWC. Could I ask about water source? I have the budget to install an RO system if needed. What should I test my tap water for?

Things I see I will need are a good ph meter, ec meter, hydroguard, and a hydroponic specific nutrient line. Am I missing something critical?

Great primer, I want to try DWC. Could I ask about water source? I have the budget to install an RO system if needed. What should I test my tap water for?

Things I see I will need are a good ph meter, ec meter, hydroguard, and a hydroponic specific nutrient line. Am I missing something critical?
If you are on municipal water you should be able to get a water quality report online. The things you want to be concerned about are:

Chloramines, if you see ammonia in the sanitation section you will have chloramines and nee to treat for it.

calcium and hardness numbers.

Just post a copy here after removing the location data and tag me.

If you are on municipal water you should be able to get a water quality report online. The things you want to be concerned about are:

Chloramines, if you see ammonia in the sanitation section you will have chloramines and nee to treat for it.

calcium and hardness numbers.

Just post a copy here after removing the location data and tag me.
I've sent one of those free test samples from Lowes. Waiting on results.

Do you have a recommendation on the shape of the reservoir? Are round buckets best or is a square shape ok?

I've sent one of those free test samples from Lowes. Waiting on results.

Do you have a recommendation on the shape of the reservoir? Are round buckets best or is a square shape ok?
It don't matter. You can get taller 8 gallon black buckets that net pots are available for but it limits the height in the tent for the plants. Square/rectangles can be lower with larger volumes but remember more volume = more nutrient expense. Just be sure to get black so the light does penetrate and grow algae. Get a suction pump to drain them for res change. worth their weight in buds for sure.

Hi again @Mañ'O'Green . I got the results of the mail in water test and it's a joke. Nothing useful just their recommendations on what filter system to buy from them. I screwed up and included my email/phone and am getting blown up with spam to buy their crap.

So I am looking for a new place to get actual ppm and dissolved solid results. All I've got so far is:

Chlorine - yes
Chloramines - yes
Calcium carbonate - high

Useless isn't it? Still working and absorbing information.

Hi again @Mañ'O'Green . I got the results of the mail in water test and it's a joke. Nothing useful just their recommendations on what filter system to buy from them. I screwed up and included my email/phone and am getting blown up with spam to buy their crap.

So I am looking for a new place to get actual ppm and dissolved solid results. All I've got so far is:

Chlorine - yes
Chloramines - yes
Calcium carbonate - high

Useless isn't it? Still working and absorbing information.
You should be able to get a water quality report online for your municipal water? If you are on a well you need to have it tested. What state are you in? Your local University system should have an agricultural extension department that can refer you to a local lab that can do the testing. Tell them you want to grow vegetables hydroponically. The test should run $20-$30.

The only useful information is that you have chloramines - unless they are lying! :shrug:

Oh boy you are on the list now :rofl::rofl::rofl: My 30 year old email address filters over 3000 spam a day. It is on everybody's list. I never give out my phone number and I still get robo calls constantly.

Almost finished my first 5 gal bucket DWC grow, and I am pleased despite the harvest reducing mistakes I have made. More, Better, next time.

Background:
I am adding 1 (or2) more linked buckets and an external reservoir plus a "letpot" timed drip irrigation pump to make nute management easier and reduce disturbing the plants

The buckets each have 3/4 inch hoses for drainage, joined by a T and out to the reservoir.

Each plant will have 2 or3 emitters. Every nute mix will have hypochlorous acid (UC Roots) and I will run a sterile system.

Aside from the air pump, the drip irrigation is the only pump.

Questions:

The hydro store guy told me to raise the buckets 8" for drainage. That makes sense for a drip only system, but I am running RDWC.

Is elevating the buckets neccessary, given water's tendency to find its own level?

(My thinking is the reservoir is also connected at the bottom to each bucket will find the level without additional height) But I am new to hydro and could be wrong! And, I don't want to lose the vertical space.

Of course the buckets are aerated. Should I also aerate the reservoir?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back