Deficiency...HELP!! Ripley's OG by Mephisto

Reaction score
So this was yesterday....
And now this was this morning...
I changed her res last night...always use ro water w/1ppm. She was on a light feed of Nova grow, calmag & Rapidstart...150ppm. I assumed she needed to eat more so i bumped up her nutes to 375ppm which is about 1/3 strength. I'm holding off the Floralicious+ til next week but need advice...her roots are great & new growth looks healthy. I stopped using the top feed when the roots his the water. I'm assuming there's no need at this point. I customized my netpot... Any feedback is appreciated

Last edited:
First off 50% (~400PPM not counting your starting water) of the recommended nutrients is the starting point for DWC so that plant is starving. Second you need to be using ALL of the GH line in balance with the chart or online calculator. If you do not understand why I say this learn about Liebig's Law of the minimum. Third this could also be a PH problem. How are you testing the PH? In this screen capture of the General Hydroponics online calculator I assumed starting water at 100PPMs and this is ml per 1 gallon. Divide these in half to start with:
ScreenHunter_146 Dec. 16 13.09.jpg

Do not mix your nutrients in the reservoir do it in a separate bucket preferably the day before with an air stone running in it. So for example your reservoir is holding 4 gallons of water, Week 2, FloraMicro would be 4x8/2=16ml, FloraGro 10x4/2=20ml, FloraBloom 3x4/2=6ml, and Rapid Start 3x4/2=6ml. Mix and then PH to 5.8. Check the PH of the reservoir twice a day and make corrections if needed. It is ok to let the PH wander between 5.6 and 6.2. When you do need to make a correction make little changes at a time and do not add the buffering agent or acid directly to the res; mix them with some water first so as not to burn the roots. If you are not running Botanicare HydroGuard I highly recommend it.

Ok so when you get this plant back on track (it happens fast in DWC) you will want to up the percentage of nutrients by 10% each week until you get a little bit of tip burn then back off 10%. That will be the strength this particular plant likes.

Wow I almost forgot Chloramines? Does your water source contain chloromines? Municipal water treated with chlorine and ammonia will have chloromines.

Chloramine Removal

You are looking for ascorbic acid vitamin C. The store brand is usually the cheapest without other stuff added in. 50mg per gallon will treat water with 3.8 PPM of chloramines.

First off 50% (~400PPM not counting your starting water) of the recommended nutrients is the starting point for DWC so that plant is starving. Second you need to be using ALL of the GH line in balance with the chart or online calculator. If you do not understand why I say this learn about Liebig's Law of the minimum. Third this could also be a PH problem. How are you testing the PH? In this screen capture of the General Hydroponics online calculator I assumed starting water at 100PPMs and this is ml per 1 gallon. Divide these in half to start with:
View attachment 987956
Do not mix your nutrients in the reservoir do it in a separate bucket preferably the day before with an air stone running in it. So for example your reservoir is holding 4 gallons of water, Week 2, FloraMicro would be 4x8/2=16ml, FloraGro 10x4/2=20ml, FloraBloom 3x4/2=6ml, and Rapid Start 3x4/2=6ml. Mix and then PH to 5.8. Check the PH of the reservoir twice a day and make corrections if needed. It is ok to let the PH wander between 5.6 and 6.2. When you do need to make a correction make little changes at a time and do not add the buffering agent or acid directly to the res; mix them with some water first so as not to burn the roots. If you are not running Botanicare HydroGuard I highly recommend it.

Ok so when you get this plant back on track (it happens fast in DWC) you will want to up the percentage of nutrients by 10% each week until you get a little bit of tip burn then back off 10%. That will be the strength this particular plant likes.
Ok that makes sense. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't too soon for a heavier feeding. I'm also using Hydroguard...2ml/ga. I heard autos don't like high ppm feedings early on but i think your advice of incremental increases of 10% is a safe bet...thanks again!

Last edited:
Back