Extraction Does it need to be an alcohol tincture to work

McDee

Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Title says it all. I want to take a tincture sublingual, but I dont want alcohol. I tried alcohol and it mess my mouth up lol, it actually burned my mouth under my tongue. Was not fun at all and dont want to mess with alcohol. Not good for ya and with how much I would take would add up. I heard that for it to work sublingual it must be alcohol. Is that true? Can anyone verify 1 way or the other? I want to make tincture in mbm2, add either honey or VG, reclaim my alcohol or most of it. I can add honey/VG after not sure if it would burn in my distiller. So there would be some alcohol, I would get as much out as I can tho. Would this work sublingual? I eat gummies but take 2hrs like a clock with me so want something with a slightly more of a instant gratification lol. Anyone have experience with this?

Alcohol is used just because it is a way efficient stripper. You can make tinctures with olive oil, coconut oil, vegetable glycerin etc. Vegtatable glycerin is a very poor stripper, so I'd look for info on infusing.
I have 3 cups of olive oil that was infused with 1 ounce of decarboxylated weed. You can use sublingual, bake with it... salad dressing... made hash browns yesterday...special hashbrowns...
Almost made a cup into mayonnaise to be used in a "special" potato salad.

Lots of articles, and how to videos out there. I would assume that a coconut oil extraction would make a great sublingual, provided your good with the taste.

Alcohol is used just because it is a way efficient stripper. You can make tinctures with olive oil, coconut oil, vegetable glycerin etc. Vegtatable glycerin is a very poor stripper, so I'd look for info on infusing.
I have 3 cups of olive oil that was infused with 1 ounce of decarboxylated weed. You can use sublingual, bake with it... salad dressing... made hash browns yesterday...special hashbrowns...
Almost made a cup into mayonnaise to be used in a "special" potato salad.

Lots of articles, and how to videos out there. I would assume that a coconut oil extraction would make a great sublingual, provided your good with the taste.
I know all about how to make and infusion. And Coconut oil is a lie! It's not heart healthy, that's why I dont use anymore although is excellent for infusing. I want to know if you can absorb the thc sublingual with out alcohol. You say it works with olive oil so then it would work with other non alcoholic tinctures. I would extract with everclear 151 all we have in stores, then reclaim alcohol or as much as I can. Then on lowest heat blend in my mbm2 for like 1hr. Well that's what I'd like to be able to do, BUT.. has to work sublingual or else no point. My gummies are not notch but 2hr is a long time to wait hahaha. Trying to get away from smoking as rosin is destroying my throat and developing a smoker's cough. Thanks bud I got someone that had it work sublingual, now if I can get some more with same result. I dont want to use oil as a tincture lol kinda gross. Honey would be good dont like it but better than alcohol.

Title says it all. I want to take a tincture sublingual, but I dont want alcohol. I tried alcohol and it mess my mouth up lol, it actually burned my mouth under my tongue. Was not fun at all and dont want to mess with alcohol. Not good for ya and with how much I would take would add up. I heard that for it to work sublingual it must be alcohol. Is that true? Can anyone verify 1 way or the other? I want to make tincture in mbm2, add either honey or VG, reclaim my alcohol or most of it. I can add honey/VG after not sure if it would burn in my distiller. So there would be some alcohol, I would get as much out as I can tho. Would this work sublingual? I eat gummies but take 2hrs like a clock with me so want something with a slightly more of a instant gratification lol. Anyone have experience with this?

190 proof alcohol is the best safe dissolver of cannabinoids.
Oil doesn't work nearly as well, and glycerine is hopeless.
Use enough oil, and it will get all the cannabinoids, but then it will be very dilute.
To get a strong oil tincture, first make an alcohol tincture, next remove (or distill off) all the alcohol, and finally dilute with any oil.

Here's what I do, but it will be expensive without a way to reclaim alcohol.
Less alcohol and multiple soaks/strainings can save money if alcohol isn't reclaimed, but 2 Cups is the minimum:
1. Decarb 30 g herb @ 240 F for 40 min using a verifying thermometer. (Ardent Nova/Lift makes this easy)
2. Grind to the finest powder possible AFTER decarb to avoid gumming up your grinder.
3. Add 1 L alcohol to the herb in a large container. (I now use MagicalButterMachine or Infusium for this, and they also grind. I like long soaks of about a day, but others prefer fast, cold soaks)
4. Pour into a tall, narrow container, and let the mixture settle for an hour, so that straining will be fast and easy.
5. Boil off the alcohol, or distill the mixture.
6. Strain.
7. Add 5 g lecithin and 50 g any oil, which will eventually fill a 2 oz tincture bottle, into a heatable container. (I like to use a 100 mL beaker) A double strength tincture can be made using the same amount of lecithin, but only 24 g oil.
8. Bake the mixture at 220 F for 40-60 min.
For good 15% thc herb,
Potency = (0.15)*(30,000 mg)/(60 mL) = (75 mg thc / mL Oil)
1 Drop = (75 mg/mL)*(1 mL Oil)/(30 drops) = 2.5 mg thc / drop

Oils which are liquid at room temp, like avocado and olive, are more convenient than coconut.
This can be put into capsules, and one size 00 cap will hold about 68 mg thc.
It can be used sublingually and baked with.

190 proof alcohol is the best safe dissolver of cannabinoids.
Oil doesn't work nearly as well, and glycerine is hopeless.
Use enough oil, and it will get all the cannabinoids, but then it will be very dilute.
To get a strong oil tincture, first make an alcohol tincture, next remove (or distill off) all the alcohol, and finally dilute with any oil.

Here's what I do, but it will be expensive without a way to reclaim alcohol.
Less alcohol and multiple soaks/strainings can save money if alcohol isn't reclaimed, but 2 Cups is the minimum:
1. Decarb 30 g herb @ 240 F for 40 min using a verifying thermometer. (Ardent Nova/Lift makes this easy)
2. Grind to the finest powder possible AFTER decarb to avoid gumming up your grinder.
3. Add 1 L alcohol to the herb in a large container. (I now use MagicalButterMachine or Infusium for this, and they also grind. I like long soaks of about a day, but others prefer fast, cold soaks)
4. Pour into a tall, narrow container, and let the mixture settle for an hour, so that straining will be fast and easy.
5. Boil off the alcohol, or distill the mixture.
6. Strain.
7. Add 5 g lecithin and 50 g any oil, which will eventually fill a 2 oz tincture bottle, into a heatable container. (I like to use a 100 mL beaker) A double strength tincture can be made using the same amount of lecithin, but only 24 g oil.
8. Bake the mixture at 220 F for 40-60 min.
For good 15% thc herb,
Potency = (0.15)*(30,000 mg)/(60 mL) = (75 mg thc / mL Oil)
1 Drop = (75 mg/mL)*(1 mL Oil)/(30 drops) = 2.5 mg thc / drop

Oils which are liquid at room temp, like avocado and olive, are more convenient than coconut.
This can be put into capsules, and one size 00 cap will hold about 68 mg thc.
It can be used sublingually and baked with.
Hey bud, glad you chimed in. I have the lift, mbm2, and distiller. 1st doesn't the distillation process decarb? I had heard it does, I have only used mine once and I decarbed bud before tincture so not sure if it was over decarbed. It worked well but maybe could have been better? If distiller decarbs then I was going to skip decarb with lift. I know VG sucks for striping, but once mixed with wouldnt all the thc be in the VG? What about honey? I dont want to use oil, that's the question. Can honey be absorbed sublingual or does it have to be alcohol or oil?

What about making hard candies? Haven't made any yet, but looks like a few decent recipes around. Seems there should be quite a bit of absorption with a jolly rancher type.

Hey bud, glad you chimed in. I have the lift, mbm2, and distiller. 1st doesn't the distillation process decarb? I had heard it does, I have only used mine once and I decarbed bud before tincture so not sure if it was over decarbed. It worked well but maybe could have been better? If distiller decarbs then I was going to skip decarb with lift. I know VG sucks for striping, but once mixed with wouldnt all the thc be in the VG? What about honey? I dont want to use oil, that's the question. Can honey be absorbed sublingual or does it have to be alcohol or oil?

190 proof alcohol boils at around 175 F.
In-air decarb at that temp takes about 10 hours, and alcohol likely affects the time, but there is no significant decarb during distillation.
My own opinion without testing anything but alcohol and oil, is that any solvent works well sublingually.
But only a small portion is actually absorbed, and the swallowing accounts for most of the medication.

I have no experience with VG or honey, but any carrier that can dissolve the cannabinoids should work.

in a traditional tincture the alcohol is the extraction method and the carrier.
last time i made a tincture i had allready extracted,so the decarbed 73u went straight in the vodka no messing about.
as you have roisen its allready been extracted,just needs a carrier that can disolve the roisin ?
good luck n keep er lit (but not around flamable shit)
:pighug:

edit ......decarbed rosin

Last edited:
190 proof alcohol boils at around 175 F.
In-air decarb at that temp takes about 10 hours, and alcohol likely affects the time, but there is no significant decarb during distillation.
My own opinion without testing anything but alcohol and oil, is that any solvent works well sublingually.
But only a small portion is actually absorbed, and the swallowing accounts for most of the medication.

I have no experience with VG or honey, but any carrier that can dissolve the cannabinoids should work.
You always seem to have the answer, thanks bud. I was told I didnt have to but I thought that could be wrong lol. I will just decarb it then. Going to try with something just not sure yet. Will post what I find.

Back