DIY Extra Cheap DIY 276 Watt CFL Grow Light for 2x2x4 Grow Tent

D

Deleted Grower A

Update:

A few weeks in I swapped out the light fixtures with porcelain ones that were only $1.50 at the local big box hardware store, the other ones were just too cheap I suggest buying the porcelain ones first, oddly I swear it took the heat down as well no heat issues I am staying right around 75 - 80F with humidity about 50 this is just with carbon filter and 4" exhaust fan in 2x2x4 tent with flaps open.

Hey guys wanted to share my diy budget cfl grow light design. I made this as I'm on a tight budget for my 2x2x4 grow tent, it is relatively easy to build I don't have any previous experience with electrical and just watched a few videos on wiring lights together is all.

This is to design a 276 watt (real actual wattage) cfl light with 19,200 lumens for $61.66 total complete WITH bulbs! I researched for weeks and this was the cheapest method I found. Add one more 23 watt bulb to your tent for cheap and your golden for a 2x2x4 space! I'm sure it would be fine even with just this light alone but I want 5000 lumens per sq ft. You will half to buy 2700k bulbs once you start flowering which I will probably swap half out for but this will get you going in the mean time.

Materials:

Phillips 100 watt cfl daylight (6500k) bulbs (23 actual watts per bulb) these come in 4-packs for $10.46 each shipped per 4-pack and are 1600 lumens each bulb. I used 3 of the 4-packs for a total of $31.38 shipped for 12 bulbs at 19,200 total lumens and 276 watts, I will be picking up one more single 23 watt light at the store and will probably clamp it somewhere so that the 2x2x4 grow tent has a total of 20,800 lumens and 299 watts.

I chose these bulbs mainly because there the cheapest I could find for total wattage and lumens, I looked at all different wattage cfl's and these came out the cheapest per watt. Another advantage is there low profile so they give you a bit more room in your tent. I plan to swap out half of them for 2700k bulbs made by the same company for the flowering stage.

6 E27 Screw in light sockets 75 cents each shipped from china $4.50 total for 6 - If your going to use these buy some extras or just buy better quality sockets, be careful turning these and only put your adapters in once and not to tight. There not the greatest quality but I was going for the cheapest it's up to you if you want to buy more expensive ones. I don't know if I'm allowed to post links so I won't post that but there on ebay. These are rated for 60 watts each (Real wattage)

2 - 9ft 16 gauge extension cords (might not need this many but they were cheap) on sale for $1.25 each plus tax. 16 gauge can handle up to 1560 total watts on one cord so is fine for these bulbs but if your using other higher wattage bulbs calculate your total wattage first.

6 socket adapters (To turn the one socket into two) $2.48 each, $14.88 plus tax
The wood I already had but is 1 x 6 x 6' Standard Pine Board $2.82 plus tax (Get the cheap stuff the price goes up if you get higher quality just check the boards to make sure there not warped)
Already had screws I'm sure anyone can find those laying around that will work or can buy a few for cheap.

22-8 AWG Hex-Lok Wire Nuts (The ones I got hold 1 to 6 of the 16 gauge wires at the same time which you will need it to hold several so make sure you read the package to make sure they hold enough) $3.58 a pack plus tax

2 Eye hooks about $2 plus tax

Total = $61.66 plus tax (Most of it doesn't have tax cause it's online)- With most all other cfl bulbs you will pay that just for the bulbs alone! A lot of people use the cfl grow bulb setup for $59.69 on amazon when using cfl but it is only 125 watts vs this design I've made with 276 watts over double watts and lumens for a couple bucks more! Add another 23 watt to supplement and you've got 299 watts for about $65 total! It is also better to have lights more spread out than just one big bulb.

Tools you will need:
Drill with a drill bit big enough for the wires to go threw
Phillips screwdriver
Wire strippers (Not a must but waaaay easier!)
Tape measure
Some type of saw to cut the wood

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible if you do something wrong etc and burn your house down or get electrocuted, cut etc, always respect electricity and power tools and never work on wires etc when they are plugged in. I don't recommend this for people under 18. Build at your own risk.

Cut two pieces of board to measure 16"
Cut two pieces of board to measure 20"

Line up the boards like the reference pic and screw them together 4 screws in each corner, make sure you keep them aligned while screwing them in or clamp them. Quickest to use a drill for this.
Align your light sockets where they should be and make a mark along the edge on each side of each socket so you know where to drill the hole for the wires.

Drill a hole for the wires in each spot where the sockets were so that the wires go threw the board, make the hole in the center. (Ignore the holes in the corners of my light, I switched up the design a bit so didn't need them)

Measure and cut your extension cable making sure you have enough room to complete each connection. Separate the wires fully as well otherwise the connections stay too close.

Cut off the female side of the extension cord and leave the male plug so you can have it for your plug.
On the flat extension cords the side that has the ribbed lines going threw it is the neutral side and the other smooth side (That sometimes has lettering on it) is the positive.

The light sockets that I got do not have a positive or negative mark so I just ran the positive on each one on the side that it says 60 watts above it, you need to make sure you wire all of them on the same side on each socket so look at the socket and use something as reference to know which terminal for each one like I said mine said 60 watts on the left hand side so I ran my positive on that side on each one. If yours is marked positive and negative + - then use that.

Once you have your lights wired push the cords threw to the other side of the board and start wiring them together making sure you only wire the neutral together and only the positive together (Don't cross positive and negative!). Just twist your wire ends together and screw on the wire nuts you will know when it's good as it will feel tightened down. You will half to cut lengths to connect the one side to the other and at the final connection you wire the extension cord with the plug on for your plug. Remember if you got the right wire nuts you can wire several wires together which is a must especially for the last connection as there are several.

Once wired screw your eye hooks in so you can hang it then turn it over and align your sockets again and screw them in.

Put your socket splitters in (Not too tight on the cheap sockets or they have trouble coming back out and/or breaking, I recommend just leaving the splitters in as well.

Put your bulbs in and try it out. If they don't light up check your connections if that doesn't work I've found on the cheap sockets I had to (With the power cord unplugged!) bend the metal piece up a little in the socket that makes contact with the bulb.

I will probably hot glue the wires on the back of the board eventually just to keep it neater and wires more separated but is good as is.

If need be maybe I can make a wiring diagram but I've posted a pic for now let me know if you have any questions.

I also want to mention you can buy a 2x2x4 grow tent with a window even for $37.99 shipped on ebay now great for if your just starting out as I am!

Attachments

• Lit_Up.jpg
    Lit_Up.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 386
  • Front_View.jpg
    Front_View.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 378
  • Back_Wires.jpg
    Back_Wires.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 380
  • Bulbs.jpg
    Bulbs.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 342
Last edited by a moderator:
I would cover all that would in foil tape to reflect the light down or paint it white. You could look at daylight led bulbs and remove the caps to expose the chip. You will find the CFL need to be very close as they are bright up close but lose their power very quickly as you move away. I have my CFL very close in the nursery but you have to watch the heat as they get quite warm.
9bdc20c0c240448309f9417f536782fd.jpg

Sent from my comfy chair. [emoji3][emoji41][emoji848][emoji12]

Hey thanks @Rollin_along ! I will tape it with the aluminum tape once I get it for the duct work great suggestion! The leds aren't really practical for me right now with my budget as it would cost me the same amount just for bulbs for about only 130 true watts so would half to spend twice as much to get the wattage I have with this but I plan to get some eventually for sure it's just with the tent, fan and everything else I had to buy am way over budget to start already.

Hey thanks @Rollin_along ! I will tape it with the aluminum tape once I get it for the duct work great suggestion! The leds aren't really practical for me right now with my budget as it would cost me the same amount just for bulbs for about only 130 true watts so would half to spend twice as much to get the wattage I have with this but I plan to get some eventually for sure it's just with the tent, fan and everything else I had to buy am way over budget to start already.
I understand budget, I have done a few grows for cheap on here. I just bought the mars eco 300, @F.N. swears by them and he grows beasts so thought I would try them £55/$80 each for 125 led watts.

Sent from my comfy chair
[emoji41][emoji2956][emoji848][emoji12][emoji42]

I understand budget, I have done a few grows for cheap on here. I just bought the mars eco 300, @F.N. swears by them and he grows beasts so thought I would try them £55/$80 each for 125 led watts.

Sent from my comfy chair

@Rollin_along
That is awesome! That's the newest mars right? I seen the older Mars 300 on Amazon go for like $60 shipped I thought about it but it seems like there is so many different views some people say you need 5000 lumans per sq ft but then I read on the amazon page that it's good for 2x2 sq ft for veg and 1.5 sq ft for flower and I hear of people at the same time getting good yields even in a 2x2x4 it's very confusing so I fought with the thought of going for that or a hps which I heard also isn't true watts that are advertised cause it has to convert I worried with heat issues with that with such a small tent, I got so tired of researching that I chose the cfl cause I knew I'd have 5000 lumans per sq ft. I also have heard the led lights aren't necessarily rated by watts but par output or something is that true? How many of the Mars 300 would you say would be needed for a 2x2x4 and 4x4 tent? I am seriously considering one or two in a few months like I said I almost bought one I just didn't know from varying views but seems like a good choice for sure as you don't need to swap out daylight and flowering bulbs. I appreciate your input bud!

I grew two huge plants under the eco98 light which they say is equivalent to a 600 watt hps. I do not know about that but like I said the frost and the size of the two plants I grew under it and the price make it a great light IMO removed the plastic cover too. And she got brighter not by much but it did.

I grew two huge plants under the eco98 light which they say is equivalent to a 600 watt hps. I do not know about that but like I said the frost and the size of the two plants I grew under it and the price make it a great light IMO removed the plastic cover too. And she got brighter not by much but it did.
That's one twice the size of mine, if you had 4*300 at $70 each you could do 4 plants.

Sent from my comfy chair

That's one twice the size of mine, if you had 4*300 at $70 each you could do 4 plants.

Sent from my comfy chair
That would work

@Rollin_along I put the aluminum tape on as suggested. Now I'm having an issue with heat, room temp went up from 74f to 87f in like 5 minutes, granted this is not in the tent with no fan but seems quite high? I had my digital thermometer about 5 inchs from the lights in the middle.

I'm thinking I might have to scale down on my cfl bulbs, I've heard of people using way less than me and getting great yeilds what do you guys think? Half to stick with what I have for now in terms of lighting, will know tent temp in a few days when I get it. I think maybe I went with too many bulbs haha.

Attachments

• 20181203_041103_Film1-1.jpg
    20181203_041103_Film1-1.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 148
Back