Filial breeding through feminization

Sorry, I understand what you mean now after reading @parsing_trees comment. Basically, with selfing, you don’t get the same genotype from all the progeny like you would expect. Instead it ends up pulling out different traits from within the line that might not be expressed in the current plant, creating multiple different genotypes in the offspring.

That is very true and does happen, so sorry for saying you were wrong initially. I didn’t fully understand what you were trying to get across.

I was thinking the same. The limited info I gathered suggest that all fem breeding "may" cause recessive traits, that we may not want to surface. Some breeders confidently say fem crosses are inferior while others say they can't see a difference. I would love more info on this too. Hope more experienced growers will chime in with their thoughts.

Hey, no worries. I’m just planning a strategy for some lines I’m working on. I’ve decided to take them to F3’s and then reverse them, rather then reversing every generation till I get to where I want it.

Feminized breeding is a whole new world without much documentation on the internet or in any books, but it is the way of the future for most growers. I love males, but I know that 99% of the people I know who would grow a autoflower have 0 interest in males, and it’s a huge hindrance, so they got to go.

I was kind of thinking about this a bit and just to be clear so I'm not leading you down a wrong path, my experience with "selfing" is from already established genetics from reputable breeders. I'm going to assume/hope the genetics I'm selfing are likely at least a f3+. So it's possible I led you astray a bit as there could be a big difference in selfing a f3+ genetics and having stable outcomes and selfing F1's and seeing those same results locked in.

(edit) I just noticed this was posted in the infirmary. You would get a lot more attention to the subject if you had a moderator move it to the breeding section of the forum.

Last edited:
Are you talking about autos or photos?? But it basically depends on what you want to accomplish and in what amount of time. If they are photos.. You can reverse a female at any generation... But if you are TRULY pheno hunting, then you'll want to hunt through as many seeds in as many generations as it takes to find the keeper female. If you just wanna get to an s1 fem with little or no trait selection (breeders don't take fems to f2, f3 ect), then you can clone and reverse a female from the f1 generation and make s1's. There are several cons to making s2's or s3's.. You will see more mutations and recessive expressions.. You'll even seen that in the s1's.. Just not as much.

If you're talking about autos, then that's entirely different.

Are you talking about autos or photos?? But it basically depends on what you want to accomplish and in what amount of time. If they are photos.. You can reverse a female at any generation... But if you are TRULY pheno hunting, then you'll want to hunt through as many seeds in as many generations as it takes to find the keeper female. If you just wanna get to an s1 fem with little or no trait selection (breeders don't take fems to f2, f3 ect), then you can clone and reverse a female from the f1 generation and make s1's. There are several cons to making s2's or s3's.. You will see more mutations and recessive expressions.. You'll even seen that in the s1's.. Just not as much.

If you're talking about autos, then that's entirely different.
[/QUOTE

Well actually I am referring to auto’s but regardless, your explanation answered my question. Thanks.

Back