Curranabis

Alien Life Form
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Black GDP
Hey everyone! I’m new here, but have already found troves of info. I’ve currently started a project that I’ve been wanting to get into for a while. Making my own seed, and breeding my own line. This is where I’ll keep updates of the project as it evolves.

I picked up some coal miners daughter f5 regular seeds from gnome a little over a year ago and recently decided it was time. I chose this strain mainly for its mold resistant properties and because I knew I wanted to breed a regular line. Grown in coast of Maine platinum blend with natures living soil amended in. Feeding only ph’d tap water. Grown under a forever green indoors square2 (200W) led in a 2x3 tent.

July 1st. I popped 4 seeds using a paper towel and tap water. All germinated and were placed in jiffy pellets to start.

July 8 all 4 seedlings were placed in 1.5 gal pots

July 11 tissue samples taken for sexing

July 17 tests come back 2 male 2 female. Perfect!

July 21 the first male is already producing pollen sacks. Seems very early. Curious if he wasn’t vigorous enough to push through the fabric on the pellet and triggered flowering? Either way, he was culled. 2 females and one male left.

July 27 the remaining plants all are switching to flower now. All are vigorous and have thick stalks. An additional seed was popped in hopes of a female for some flower to smoke or to harvest pollen for a second project.
IMG_1190.jpeg

Today (August 7) the remaining 3 plants are well into flower now. I have a cupcake sheet around the male as he just started dropping pollen yesterday. Going to give it a day or two before I turn on the fan and get the pollen moving around more. Top dressed with worm castings and more natures living soil.
IMG_1286.jpeg

IMG_1289.jpeg

My plan is to make f6’s obviously. From there I will make selections from larger samples down the filial line as I really like this strain. I also have a cherry matanuska photo that I would like to cross it with. I would like to bring in the cherry flavor while retaining the autoflower and mold resistant genes. If anyone has made crosses with CMD and knows how dominant or recessive its different traits are, I would gladly listen to any info. 😁 👽✌🏻

August 11 the male plant has opened most of the lower flowers and is just starting to open the uppers.
IMG_1317.jpeg

The female plants continue to stretch. The back plant is already at 4 ft. And had grown past my light which is at max height. Impressive considering they are only in 1.5 - 2 gal. of soil. Had to do a little HST to bring the main cola back under the light.
IMG_1318.jpeg

August 13 (today) male had fully opened its top flowers so today I chopped him down and processed his flowers through a pollen box. I collected one vial for immediate use on these plants and my next run. And one vial that was stored in the freezer for use later this year. Desiccants were added to the vials to keep moisture out.
IMG_1348.jpeg

Normally I LST all of my autos into a bushy shape and this was my first time just letting them go. Both gals are 4ft tall now and I had to do some HST on the second gal to bring her back below my light too. Future progeny will be grown in smaller pots and I’ll probably go back to my plant shibari method of tying limbs down to manage height.
IMG_1347.jpeg

Watered with first batch of compost tea today. Made up 2 gals of tap water with 2 Tbsp of natures living soil and 2 Tbsp of unsulfered molasses. This was aerated for 24 hrs with the air pump I usually use for my DWC setup, then used to completely saturate my soil. I’ll probably give them one more dose in a week or two depending on how they react before running only water to finish them.

The buds are starting to swell and several have pistils that are already receding and turning orange so I think they have been successfully pollinated already.

My question is, those buds that have already been pollinated, will they continue to grow in size? Or will they stop bud production and produce just a couple seeds in a tiny bud? Can you pollinate too early and miss out on larger amounts of seed from larger buds?

My question is, those buds that have already been pollinated, will they continue to grow in size?

@Curranabis ......They Do...but probably not as big as normal.

Can you pollinate too early and miss out on larger amounts of seed from larger buds?

The unwritten law is...Pollenate Early...get fewer but primo seed.........

Really....it depends on how many seed you need.....after this first cross.....you'll get to see how many you get and work better from there.....

Most people way over pollenate......but as I say...depends on what you are doing with them.......:headbang:...if it is a personal cross......you don't Need thousands.........

@Mossy thanks for the clarification! I am doing this as a personal project. I just want to have something unique and tailored for myself and close family to use. I’m probably over pollinating and hoping for more seed than I realistically need. :jump:

@Mossy thanks for the clarification! I am doing this as a personal project. I just want to have something unique and tailored for myself and close family to use. I’m probably over pollinating and hoping for more seed than I realistically need. :jump:

Yup.....but you get this one under your belt and you'll have more idea of numbers that you will get.... :pass: ...all part of the learning process.

As you get used to numbers it is simple to part pollenate a plant...and have virgin bud for smoke........Plus seed....but for this one....just See what you get.

10-14 days...if you gently squash the bud with your finger thumb pads...you should start to be able to Feel seed...:headbang:

Yup.....but you get this one under your belt and you'll have more idea of numbers that you will get.... :pass: ...all part of the learning process.

As you get used to numbers it is simple to part pollenate a plant...and have virgin bud for smoke........Plus seed....but for this one....just See what you get.

10-14 days...if you gently squash the bud with your finger thumb pads...you should start to be able to Feel seed...:headbang:
Awesome, I’m excited!
I fully intend to work this project long term but just starting with baby steps to learn foundational knowledge and really get to know the plant first. Eventually I would love to be skilled enough to partial pollinate. That would be ideal so that I can continue to work this project and grow medicine in the same tent. :jointman:

I am planning on leaving the plants in the soil until they die off naturally and dry out before harvesting. Is there any reason to not wait that long? I have dry sift screens I’ll collect the seeds over to hopefully get a little bit of hash off of the flower material and I’m not really rushed on time right now.

. Is there any reason to not wait that long?

Not really...as you are indoor....I'm outdoor... if I leave them that long and the wind picks up...I'd be in danger of losing them......

You can See...Feel well enough when they are ready....... :headbang: ......

August 17. Both gals are rounding the final corner! They get compost tea once a week and ph’d tap water daily. Both plants recovered from the HST nicely albeit I would love it if they were 6” further away from the light. I can feel seeds forming in most of the buds and the buds themselves are starting to fatten up. :jump:

Female #1
I really like the shape of this gal. She was the shorter of the two and her side branches grew into more of a canopy.
IMG_1363.jpeg

Female #2
The side branches on this plant grew a consistent length leaving budsites at varying levels on the lower half. The giant spear she shot out is the obvious star of the show :clapper: I’m sure if she wasn’t HST’d and tied down she’d be 5ft tall. The buds on this plant are much thicker and more densely covered in tricromes at this point.
IMG_1364.jpeg

Hey everyone! I’m new here, but have already found troves of info. I’ve currently started a project that I’ve been wanting to get into for a while. Making my own seed, and breeding my own line. This is where I’ll keep updates of the project as it evolves.

I picked up some coal miners daughter f5 regular seeds from gnome a little over a year ago and recently decided it was time. I chose this strain mainly for its mold resistant properties and because I knew I wanted to breed a regular line. Grown in coast of Maine platinum blend with natures living soil amended in. Feeding only ph’d tap water. Grown under a forever green indoors square2 (200W) led in a 2x3 tent.

July 1st. I popped 4 seeds using a paper towel and tap water. All germinated and were placed in jiffy pellets to start.

July 21 the first male is already producing pollen sacks. Seems very early. Curious if he wasn’t vigorous enough to push through the fabric on the pellet and triggered flowering? Either way, he was culled. 2 females and one male left.

July 27 the remaining plants all are switching to flower now. All are vigorous and have thick stalks. An additional seed was popped in hopes of a female for some flower to smoke or to harvest pollen for a second project.
View attachment 1622316

Today (August 7) the remaining 3 plants are well into flower now. I have a cupcake sheet around the male as he just started dropping pollen yesterday. Going to give it a day or two before I turn on the fan and get the pollen moving around more. Top dressed with worm castings and more natures living soil.
View attachment 1622315
View attachment 1622317

My plan is to make f6’s obviously. From there I will make selections from larger samples down the filial line as I really like this strain. I also have a cherry matanuska photo that I would like to cross it with. I would like to bring in the cherry flavor while retaining the autoflower and mold resistant genes. If anyone has made crosses with CMD and knows how dominant or recessive its different traits are, I would gladly listen to any info. 😁 👽✌🏻
So, I'm new to this too. I have similar goals as you. I was down to five regular CMD F5 seeds. I drowned two in rockwool cubes but the other three lived. I tried direct sowing into a final pot by using a rockwool cube in the center of the pot. It works for some people but not to good for me. I put two males in a tent with the last female I had and said a prayer. It worked and now I have over 100 seeds of varying quality. Are these now CMD F-6? if so, I have a bunch a breeding questions.
I love the Blackstrap and I'm growing Witchers Creek which are both created from CMD I think.
OH YEA! I almost forgot. Dan Jimmie made a Shango los. appearance and cleared up a few things about Anvil and CMD and maybe future regular seed release comming soon.

View attachment 1622316

View attachment 1622315
View attachment 1622317

type of light in tent ?

Back