New Grower First Grow in 22 years, Nature's Living Soil

I am currently growing with the autoflower nutes from NLS. NEVER again! I started phing my water to 6.5. I flushed my containers and started to ph my water to 6.5 with some cal-mag. The yellowing and rust spots seemed to slow up, but it's starting to happen again :-/ Such a bummer. I wonder if top dressing this stuff would of worked better? I'm afraid to even try on my next grow.
I'd leave it alone.

Had same problems. I was able to get across the finish line with a decent yield(7+oz/2 plants), but they weren't pretty!!!

@Proph @xena499 You guys honestly saved me from a lot of heartache and headache since i was getting ready to jump into nls for my first grow so i sincerely thank you, i was and still deeply in love with the idea of watering only for all or most of a grow just like you guys. Sorry to jack the thread but @Proph Is there any way you could direct me to a decent medium guide in setting up a water only indoor tent setup for autos in lets say a 3 gal pot? Want to start off small and as easy as possible to learn as much as i can abput giving what the plant needs along the way without making too many mistakes. TIA

@Proph @xena499 You guys honestly saved me from a lot of heartache and headache since i was getting ready to jump into nls for my first grow so i sincerely thank you, i was and still deeply in love with the idea of watering only for all or most of a grow just like you guys. Sorry to jack the thread but @Proph Is there any way you could direct me to a decent medium guide in setting up a water only indoor tent setup for autos in lets say a 3 gal pot? Want to start off small and as easy as possible to learn as much as i can abput giving what the plant needs along the way without making too many mistakes. TIA
Build A Soil 3.0 media and their top dress mix. 3.0 is a month delay. If you can get Roots Organic Original media and Build A Soil top dress would work well as an alternative. Get ya some Boost to keep the microbes going. That should grow some very good canna as long as you pay attention to your girls environment and VPD.

Read read read on organics and make your own media well before you intend to plant in it. Let it cook!
Read hecno's on going thread and learn.............very big thread,but lots of info!

We're all here trying to help each other avoid issues! That's what it's all about! When I hear the term "water only", i totally understand how it could sound like it's so simple to do, but there are many variables. Water only is usually associated with "living soils".. Living soils are associated with larger pots. Usually 7 gallon or larger. In a 5 gallon pot or smaller you will eventually have to add something at some point. That's do to the root mass. By the time the plant is in mid flower, the available food in a 3 gal pot would be exhausted. The more soil, the more available food.. The longer you can go without adding anything. The longer it holds moisture, etc.. The smaller the pot, the more maintenance it requires.

I use build a soil products. Their 3.0 blend is a true water only living soil mix. But it's not intended for small pots. If you have height limitations, maybe a "bed" style pot would work better. I have a 15 gal pot in a 2×4×5 tent. I can run 2-3 autos in that pot water only seed to harvest. 2 plants works well, 3 plants can out grow the space.

So basically, to understand how water only really works, you gotta learn a little about living soils and why bigger pots are almost mandatory. I'd personally recommend any of the build a soil blends, and a bigger pot size.

@WildBill thx for your input, so this is a combo that will be good such a small pot? Either bas 3.0 or roots organic original and a bas top dress?
@Proph im starting to see what your saying about pot size, im going to have to do more maintenance regardless since im commiting to a couple 3 gal pots. Due to space limitations and inexperience i figured smaller is better and more forgiving but its looking like i gotta learn more about nutes. Does your comment regarding using ffof for a couple or more weeks w/ just water and then a top dress of bas craft blend still apply to bigger pots?

@WildBill thx for your input, so this is a combo that will be good such a small pot? Either bas 3.0 or roots organic original and a bas top dress?
@Proph im starting to see what your saying about pot size, im going to have to do more maintenance regardless since im commiting to a couple 3 gal pots. Due to space limitations and inexperience i figured smaller is better and more forgiving but its looking like i gotta learn more about nutes. Does your comment regarding using ffof for a couple or more weeks w/ just water and then a top dress of bas craft blend still apply to bigger pots?
Bigger pots don't need much added to them if you keep it moist and microbe life alive. The roots organics or ocean forrest for 3-4 week's, then using a light top dress, is referring to grows in smaller pots (5gal or less). Because at some point you will need to add something when growing in a 5gal pot or smaller. If you are going to use 3 gal pots then a top dress would be the first option if you want an organic style grow. I use the craft blend from build a soil for my top dress. It doesn't take much and is only needed once, maybe twice with a heavy feeder.

Yeah, I made my recs on what you wanted to do. My smallest pot is 7 gal. Bigger pots are easier and more forgiving, as Proph stated. .............not really much to add to his postings for a simple organic grow. Maybe use yucca powder with your watering program to help with keeping your moisture level more even by helping to prevent the media hydrophobic . It will help as you learn to water properly. A little goes a long way.

Back