New Grower First Grow in 22 years, Nature's Living Soil

@DCLXVI thanks for tips, and kind words!

And I'll add a huge thank YOU xena499 for creating this thread !

These are the precise problems I had last year on my very first grow with living soil. I also layered the pots and I believe the soil was simply too hot and imbalanced. I didn't use NLS though. Instead I used some fantastic living soil from Morgan Composting here in Michigan and effed it up myself.

I now believe that had I left it alone (and not added extra manure and a few other things) and just watered, it probably would have been fine? I started freaking out and searching "nute deficiencies" and adding all manner of amendments. Based on this thread......I'm going to give it another whirl with the same soil this year. Albeit with many less rookie errors (I hope).

Thanks to everyone who shared so much here in this thread, too. Especially @Proph. I can't thank you all enough.

Week 12 - Day 78, (Star1, CBD)
The end is near. Star1 fattened up nicely. Some nice colors came out like blues and purples into, stinky ripening buds.

@Tom Bombadil pointed out they wont likely turn amber until into cure, so we will go with that...
This beat our expectations. It came out nice with Nature's Living Soil.

star1 3-26 (2).jpg

Star 1, 78 days. Ready for chop, holding.
star1 3-26.jpg

sorry about the blurry shot...

We have no room for the seedlings entering week 3 (and suffering due to our "perpetual grow" style), and require transplanting to their final 5 gallon pots. For the future, we have decided against perpetual grow, and will be more patient in the future.
We prefer to just do [5] 5 gallon pots at the same growth stage in a 4x4 tent, 1 week variance no issues.

So we are removing the CBD and Star1 from the tent into our kitchen where they will finish under skylights. It is my understanding the last few days that light doesn't matter much, and this will help age the trichomes a few more days. If someone knows about this, please advise! (we dont have a choice with our seedlings either way, and yes, this is another unwanted intriguing sacrifice. They're ready now, any harm holding like this?

Trichomes are not all 15% amber, although the white/cloudy side is at least 80%. Ready to go
star1-trichomes 3-26.jpg

star1b-trichomes-3-26.jpg

Last edited:
Star1 day 78.
star1c 3-26.jpg

star1-3-24.jpg

star1, day 76 (just before removal from tent).

star1-3-24b.jpg

The CBD 20:1 was disappointing in terms of its growth. The heater really did it in :( . Let's not blame the plant.
NLS might be a factor too. Fast out of the gates, and stunting from week 4 or so....
Slow and steady, and something is better than nothing from our magic medicine plant!
What is here is phat. We will try this one again!

CBD 20:1 Day 78

cbd-3-26.jpg

Yeah, some will go amber if youre willing to let the plant look like its been through a woodchipper before you harvest it. Others just dont want to. Some plants I have left for weeks longer than prescribed with all the fan leaves completely gone and never achieved a real significant amount of amber. Others amber up pretty good much earlier. Sometimes it helps to lower light intensity..

One thing is certain, you're rolling in buds now!
nice job

Week 11 - Day 72 (Gum1,2,3, Star2, 3, Bruce2)
Gum1 is almost completely defoliated, as most of the leaves have yellowed-to-death. Trichomes are coming on now, surprisingly. Likely one you dont keep going, or one you give to your not-a-friend. We think she will finish off so so - far short of our original expectations.
This plant, we believe got NLS bombed at the usual week 6 (noticeable in week 8).
The other Gums look better, but we would stay away from this genetics moving forward:
3/5 germination rate. Vulnerable to NLS. We've seen enough
gum1 3-26.jpg

Bruce Banner 2 is yellowing badly, but coming on, albeit a little airy so far.
bb2 3-23.jpg

Star2,3 are looking great, and puffing up nice. Here is Star2. All 3 Star Dawg's seemed to work out fine with Nature's Living Soil.
star2 3-23.jpg

Star1 chopped day 77, and now drying in brown debris bag 70F 50RH. This time we will be careful to not let it get too dry past the cure zone.
We are much happier with the results on this plant, versus our premature chop on the Bruce1 2 weeks earlier. Buds are much fuller. The plant did great, but had 1 week of stunting in preflowering, which we believe resulted in it being 1/3 smaller or so then it could of been. Are Star Dawgs went 3/3 and all looking good. Star2,3 should be ready next week or so.

star1 dryingb.jpg

star1 dryinga.jpg

Last edited:
Nature's Living Soil Update
Last week, we finally decided to dump our ready-made NLS pots into a large container to let rest for 90 days.
We refilled our 5 gallon pots with fresh Ocean Forest. Hopefully when our cycle ends in the next week or so, we will be ending our experience with NLS. Results we not bad, and we were overall satisfied. We just don't like the lack of controls, non-existent product support from the company (ignored my emails and chats), and other issues mentioned earlier, and throughout @Big Sul's NLS grow, and all the experts help here too.

We went with BAS craft blend as our nutrient source/ top dress and soil amendment moving forward to test. We will top dress our new grow with this around week 6 or whenever the plants need it, and again every other week throughout flowering. Then we will amend the soil with BAS craft blend, and rest it for another 90 days, and it should be good for the next round.

We need to learn or decide if we want our soil to be living or not. It appears can just follow the above recipe, and forget living soil part.
This can open a can of worms so to speak...
Or, we can throw in some worms, castings and compost before resting the used non-living soil to ensure proper nutrient breakdown and soil harmony. It would be cool to eventually get to "water" only method explained by @Proph earlier. Our plan is not to be constantly growing and have a break for a few months in the Arizona summer, so we will figure it out along the way...

Last edited:
Back