New Grower First time DWC - Girl Scout Cookies Auto by FastBuds

Thank you so much!!
do you think that the roots would end up causing problems and blocking the float from moving?
I think my next grow, i will use something different than a 5 gallon bucket so that i have more room.
something like this:
View attachment 1261476

Is this suggested over a 5gal bucket? im trying to picture myself changing the bucket with a fresh clean one every few weeks, I see it being a problem soon..as the roots are taking over! :)

also, do you have a recommended float that should be used?
That should work.
DSC00435.JPG

12/06

this girl is fully flowering now!
20201206_172242.jpg20201206_172320.jpg

She appears to be doing great!

12/08!
20201208_092845.jpg20201208_163714.jpg

..today she has a little nutrient burn on a few leaves. I assume because I added a little too much P-K boost in a gallon when filling the tank back up. She still looks happy and healthy...as you can see, making small mistakes in DWC is not forgiving :/

--------

unrelated to this specific grow, one of my other plants (photosynthesis) is also doing well. She's a Peyote Critical!

20201208_110703.jpg

Last edited:
so.. my girl isn't doing so well.
I am leading to believe that it needs Cal / Mag.. Last night I added 2mL /gallon.
She is light green pretty much her entire top half.. the bottom portion looks good.
..hoping to see her color come back soon, but i'm not sure.

20201211_095511.jpg 20201211_095534.jpg 20201211_095722.jpg

I should also note that the burns you see in the pic, was from a previous pH issue. It is stable now at 5.8-6.0

Thank you so much!!
do you think that the roots would end up causing problems and blocking the float from moving?
I think my next grow, i will use something different than a 5 gallon bucket so that i have more room.
something like this:
View attachment 1261476

Is this suggested over a 5gal bucket? im trying to picture myself changing the bucket with a fresh clean one every few weeks, I see it being a problem soon..as the roots are taking over! :)

also, do you have a recommended float that should be used?

That's the same bin I'm beginning to use.
It works great.
About 5 inches of fluid will be 3 gallons, which seems to be enough.
setup201211.jpg

A 5.5 inch hole saw cuts the holes, 1 for a 6" netpot, and the other for access, which anything can cover.
I too worried about whether roots would incapacitate the float valve, but they don't.
Here's a good float valve, but others are cheaper. This one has a good 1/2 inch hose fitting.
Amazon product

This is the hole saw:
Amazon product

This is the drill that drills the float valve hole:
Amazon product

A regular drill bit of more than 1/4" can drill air pump hose holes in the bin.
This bunch of hydro hardware is very useful:
Amazon product

Hose clamps will be needed to keep everything from pulling apart.
Amazon product

I've been playing around with similar systems that had emptying hoses, but this works just as well, and the access big enough that water can be stirred, added, or tested.
This pump helps:

I use external 13 gallon storage bins, elevated on any type stand, to feed the reservoirs, 1 per tent.
So far I love this setup.

Last edited:
That's the same bin I'm beginning to use.
It works great.
About 5 inches of fluid will be 3 gallons, which seems to be enough.
View attachment 1264119

A 5.5 inch hole saw cuts the holes, 1 for a 6" netpot, and the other for access, which anything can cover.
I too worried about whether roots would incapacitate the float valve, but they don't.
Here's a good float valve, but others are cheaper. This one has a good 1/2 inch hose fitting.
Amazon product

This is the hole saw:
Amazon product

This is the drill that drills the float valve hole:
Amazon product

A regular drill bit of more than 1/4" can drill air pump hose holes in the bin.
This bunch of hydro hardware is very useful:
Amazon product

Hose clamps will be needed to keep everything from pulling apart.
Amazon product

I've been playing around with similar systems that had emptying hoses, but this works just as well, and the access big enough that water can be stirred, added, or tested.
This pump helps:

I use external 13 gallon storage bins, elevated on any type stand, to feed the reservoirs, 1 per tent.
So far I love this setup.

Thank you so much for the helpful information!! most of the pictures aren't loading :( I would love to see what those are. I wonder if the site is still having problems

Other people have sometimes had trouble seeing my amazon pictures.
Here are the amazon links with 3 asterisks before and after.
Float Valve
***Amazon product

Hole saw:
***Amazon product

Drill bit used for float valve and all other grommets that fit 1/2 inch fittings/tubing:
***Amazon product

Cheap, generic hydroponics fittings:
***Amazon product

Hose clamps:
***Amazon product

I forgot to include grommets, which are essential. The same drill bit can be used for them as for the float valve.
***https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1&fpw=alm***

Looks like this might've failed too.
If so, I'll try something else.

I figured out how to get the links!
After I quoted you, it gave me the item numbers and I was able to find them all on amazon!
Thank you so much for the help. my next grow, i will be implementing this setup and hopefully have a nice size res tank.

I took a look at your grow thread and noticed that you had a chiller. Is that a requirement? I'm thinking that if I was to do RDWC, I would have to put the RES outside. I don't think I have the room for a tank as large as 10g
Ideally you'd want a chiller, even for dwc water temps can be a problem. 300 on my chiller was one of the best investment i've made. ;D

Your plant is looking awesome btw! what are those things you have on the lid for lst? I definitely need something like that for my next grow.

Ideally you'd want a chiller, even for dwc water temps can be a problem. 300 on my chiller was one of the best investment i've made. ;D

Your plant is looking awesome btw! what are those things you have on the lid for lst? I definitely need something like that for my next grow.

so, I do have a question involving that.
I was reading that the temps rise when doing DWC, but my temps have never went above 22c(71f). I thought that I wouldn't need a chiller due to that...is that the case?
I believe that the reason my temps aren't rising is because I keep the pump 25ft away from my grow...could that be the reason, or am I just fortunate where I live or something?

Also, for the LST, I used these hooks:

https://www.amazon.com/Command-White-Utility-Container-GP003-7NA/dp/B0753NHZVQ/ref=sr_1_7?crid=35P2ZIWVQEF5E&dchild=1&keywords=adhesive+hooks&qid=1607761327&s=home-garden&sprefix=adhe%2Cgarden%2C173&sr=1-7

I expected them to work better than they do, I mean they work just fine, the plant just grew so fast, i didn't really get to use them like i had hoped.

Last edited:
Back