New Grower My first DWC grow

Blue_dreamer

450* Braise it!
Reaction score
I started watching a lot of youtube videos on hydroponics and I've gotten rather interested in it.

I initially tried to start 2 seeds in rockwool cubes. You can see the 2 quart jars with the air hoses running into them.

1676242184367.png

Neither took. They both sprouted, but I wasn't doing something right, because they weren't forcing their way out of the rockwool. Maybe I unknowingly squeezed the rockwool when draining it and made it too dense, or something. I'm really not sure. But neither came up.

When I determined the first one was dead, I started a new bean, but in soil. About 4 days later I noticed it hadn't sprouted, so I very carefully tried to uncover a little soil from over top just to check in on it and make sure it had popped out of the seed casing. I looked and looked and I could not find that seed. I literally ended up sitting there for half an hour very carefully sifting through the top six inches of soil in that bucket and could not find it.

So, I set the bucket in the corner and moved on.

A few days later I just happen to notice that a seedling was sticking up out of the bucket! lol.

So, unless I somehow got my seeds mixed up, this is a Blackstrap cross that a friend sent me.

I very carefully removed it from the soil, rinsed the soil off the roots in the sink, and then I cut a piece of rockwool open, slid this into the middle, and here we are.

The other seed never made it, either. Something about the rockwool, I've never had this issue in soil. But I guess it ran out of energy, because the little tail broke off the seed and that was that.

1676242551607.png

Right now, it is happily living in a quart mason jar, because I'm cheap and don't want to spend any more on nutrients than I need to. I'll move it to the 5 gallon bucket when the roots are too big for the jar.

Since I unfortunately didn't keep track of when I planted it, because I thought it was dead there for a few days, I don't exactly know how old it is. So we're just going to say it sprouted on 2/5, because I put it in the DWC about 3 days later on 2/8. As of today, its been in the DWC for 4 days.

The really cool thing is getting to see the roots. They've been roughly doubling in size every day.

1676242981010.png

This is the calculator I am using for nutrients.

For nutrients I am using the General hydroponics Flora series, as well as cal-mag and General Hydroponics Silica nutrient.

I plan to change nutrients weekly.

For this week, I used the Mild Vegetative stage. And 1 liter = 1.05 quarts, so you can just use the liter setting on the calculator. This isn't exactly rocket appliances.

1676243242145.png

I undershot on the nutrients, instead of 1.3ml each, I went right at 1.0 ml, since this is still more of a seedling. But I already had lettuce growing in the same exact nutrient solution in a kratky setup and I knew it wasn't burning it, so I decided to go ahead with mixing closer to mild veg instead of seedling.

Add the silica first (1.0 ml), then the nutrients, then cal-mag, then I PH'd it to 6.0

Thats pretty much where I'm at right now. I'll update as frequently as anything interesting happens.

Its upgrade the container day!

Filling up the bucket with an RV water filter, in my office bathroom.
Yes, the shower is dirty. No, I don't shower out here, so its kinda gross because all I use it for is growing stuff.

1676395009171.png

Time for the big ol' bucket of nutes

1676395043570.png

Last time I used 1ml per gallon of each of the GH nutrients. Its growing, but not as fast as I'd like to see. So, we upped it to 2ml per gallon.
So it got...
10ml Silicone
10ml each of the nutrients
10ml cal-mag

Used PH down to get it right at ph of 6
1676395189981.png

That might be like 6.2 or something. Close enough for government work.

Got my bucket setup where I wanted it.

1676395223289.png

The aerators didn't want to stay on the bottom, so I grabbed a socket out of my tool bag, 13/16ths to weigh it down with.
All of my stuff is metric anyways, I drive Japanese cars.

I very very carefully moved it to a new cup, because my 2" hydroponics cups came in the mail, and that cheapo clear cup wasn't going to hold up as the plant gets bigger.

1676395309239.png

LOOK AT THEM ROOTS!!!! Its insane, they double in size every day.

This is the old water, you can see its not as dark as the new stuff

1676395346363.png

I just use it for watering my plants in dirt, I figure it has plenty of stuff left in there, so its not going to hurt anything.

Now its in its new home, and all happy and ready to grow big so I can smoke it.

1676395403793.png

And just in case you are curious about any of my other projects going on in this tent...

1676395438771.png

I'm growing hydroponic tomatoes, those are 3 dwarf varieties I ordered online. Orange Hat, Dwarf and Tiny Tim.

1676395478033.png

I've got some kratky romaine lettuce down there on the left. And in the 3 buckets I'm growing grapefruit, Mango Smile x SODK and a zkittelz.

Edit - Blue_dreamer from 5 minutes into the future from this post here - I f'd up. For mild vegetative growth I'm supposed to use...

1676395713247.png

So I am adding another 15ml per. My mistake! I guess somewhere in the conversion from quarts to gallons or something, IDK. But glad I checked.

Well she's not growing much. And this morning looks rather droopy.

1676567889018.png

And the roots are brown and kinda stuck together. Shit.

1676567909884.png

Did some reading.

1. I should have started it in the big bucket, and not messed with it for 3-4 weeks before changing the water. Seedlings don't have a good bacterial film on their roots yet, so this can happen if you go changing the water too fast.

2. I added some 3% hydrogen peroxide. When I poured it in, I carefully poured it over the roots and into the bucket.

I really hope this doesn't turn into a disaster. But, if it does, I can learn from it and try again. Its ok.

Quick update. Its been about 4 hours since I added the 3% peroxide. The roots are back to being nice and white and not clumping together like a mass of wet hair. The plant is still a little sad looking but hopefully she perks back up. I have beneficial root bacteria stuff coming, to add to the mix.

Update. Checked them one more time. Even better looking.

1676584536379.png

They aren't gunked together or brown anymore.

Unfortunately, I've not seen a lot of growth. In fact, she's not looking that great. But, there is a little growth on the roots. And it did go into 2.5x hotter DWC water than the nutes in the last container, so it may just be a bit of shock.

I ordered some hydroguard like stuff. Southern Ag something or other. Has Bacyllis bacteria in it to help the roots.

Certainly hope you have as good of luck as I'm having on mine. :goodluck:

After thinking on it a bit, I decided to remove 2 gallons of nutrient solution and replace with 2 gallons of ph'd water.

I think the hotter nutes shocked it, in addition to the rot rot issue. I shouldn't have went to the vegetative growth nutes yet, its too small.

Hopefully reducing the potency of what its in will help. It does have a bit of root growth, but zero foliage growth since I put it in the 5 gallon bucket.

My WZ got a case of the rot because I wasn't using HG but seems to have cleared up since starting to use it at twice strength. Will be going to normal strength soon.

Well bad news. I don't think its going to make it. Its not showing any signs of growth, and at this point its lost a lot of growth time as an autoflower that it likely won't be able to make back up.

1676733645835.png

And now the leaves are starting to yellow.

I think I might just chalk this up to a loss, unfortunately.

Back