Journal update...

7/6/18, day 73 from planting. Gave each plant about 1.5 L of pure tap water

the kind you want to squash! Keep picking!

Yeah you want to inspect your buds real close cuz sometimes those caterpillars will drill a hole right through the flower and they'll rot while you're drying them. I've actually had that happen one time on a indoor grow.
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Ive had to needle through the flowers on a daily basis and have found about a dozen and a half of these bastards of various sizes the past few weeks embedded deep in the buds. Have already had to trim off about an 1/8th worth of flowers due to these pests!

Oh well. Now I know. Next grow I’m gonna use a bunch of Monterey spray and hopefully that protects the plants a little.

Here’s a big juicy one I just found deep within the top part of the cola on supersoil plant:
313C9D40-CFA1-4681-BCD1-AB0AC1FAA1EB.jpeg

Journal update...

Ive had to needle through the flowers on a daily basis and have found about a dozen and a half of these bastards of various sizes the past few weeks embedded deep in the buds. Have already had to trim off about an 1/8th worth of flowers due to these pests!

Oh well. Now I know. Next grow I’m gonna use a bunch of Monterey spray and hopefully that protects the plants a little.

Here’s a big juicy one I just found deep within the top part of the cola on supersoil plant:
View attachment 927633
whata drag!

Journal update...

View attachment 927633
Montgomery Spinasod is good I've used that quite a bit. However, when I read the proper usage you're limited to how many applications you can put on food crops. So I would be reluctant to use it more than once or twice and I don't know the advisability of using it in flower? A lot of guys I know that grow outdoors like Sierra Natural Science products. I haven't used them but they're supposed to be organic and natural and presumably less harmful. May be worth looking into.

Montgomery Spinasod is good I've used that quite a bit. However, when I read the proper usage you're limited to how many applications you can put on food crops. So I would be reluctant to use it more than once or twice and I don't know the advisability of using it in flower? A lot of guys I know that grow outdoors like Sierra Natural Science products. I haven't used them but they're supposed to be organic and natural and presumably less harmful. May be worth looking into.
Thanks Jingo, I’ll check that out!!

The product I was thinking of using was this:
Monterey 704596 Caterpillar Killer Pesticide, 1-Pint

Amazon product

Looks like its an organic caterpillar killer that I could apply to the flowers etc. but I’ll have to double check the ingredients and compare to the Sierra Natural Science products.

That Montgomery product is a bacteria that is supposedly safe for humans but death on anything that has a larva stage like a caterpillar. I don't really worry about using it too much myself, but I do kind of wonder about putting bacteria on my buds late in flower.

That Montgomery product is a bacteria that is supposedly safe for humans but death on anything that has a larva stage like a caterpillar. I don't really worry about using it too much myself, but I do kind of wonder about putting bacteria on my buds late in flower.
It’s supposedly safe for putting on food as long as you give it around 36hrs to evaporate so hopefully the same applies to buds?

7/10/18, day 77 from planting seed. Gave each plant about 3 L of pure tap water.

Super got hit hard by the caterpillars. Had to cut 1/2 of the top cola off among other places. I’ll be better prepared for these bastards next grow. This is why I planted 2!

They both look like they are starting to draw nutes from their fan leaves. Will probably harvest in a week give or take a few days. I like a good body effect.

Super on the right:

image.jpg

Top of super:
image.jpg

Thanks Jingo, I’ll check that out!!

The product I was thinking of using was this:
Monterey 704596 Caterpillar Killer Pesticide, 1-Pint

Amazon product

Looks like its an organic caterpillar killer that I could apply to the flowers etc. but I’ll have to double check the ingredients and compare to the Sierra Natural Science products.

Feel safe using that once a week and you can do so through flower, even with food crops you can spray up until the day you harvest. It is best to use throughout your grow though as a preventative measure. Once the caterpillars get an inch or two in size it has less of an effect on them. Are you going to pop a couple more seeds before these finish? I would get a head start now.

What I've always been told is don't spray anything after the flowers start. It does really suck that the little bastards hit the tallest/biggest colas. If they only hit the smaller lower buds, I wouldn't care.

After several years of outdoor grows, the moths that make bud worm have definitely found my yard. This spring was so rainy that I only got to spray once, and I'm sure that washed off, so effectively this was a no-spray year for me. I've only grown autos outdoors once before, but it wasn't as bad with autos as photos since they finish earlier... not that they didn't get hit with eggs, but it seems fewer have the chance to hatch and be destructive. The one auto I had last summer that went 120 days got hit pretty hard. I guess with all of the other debris that the wind kicks up that sticks to the buds, we'll also be smoking moth eggs. At least they're organic...
:shrug:

The only real solution I know is a tightly screened greenhouse.

Back