Genetically manipulated Cannabis

I also quite like that observation as to how most breeders are preoccupied with mixing strains and playing around with various crossbreeding techniques. I hear alot of growers saying things like "og kush times silver haze" as if the crossbreed is a multipler of the input strains, when in diploid strains only so many sets of chromosomes can be simultaneously active, making it more of an average than a multiple.

How did you manage to test for that triploidity? I mean, I've seen cannabis plants with 3 leafs on every node, every year or so, but that doesn't mean it's triploid. It means that callus tissue differentiated in an unusual matter, but it is not a positive test for triploidity. Because after something close to 5 nodes, the plant reverts back to the original state. If the plant would be a true triploid, it would mean that all cells have those three copies, and that the entire plant should behave in such a way. I'm thinking these 3-leaved plants are genetically closer related to cell-division errors caused by snipping enzymes defects, like flatstems and duckfoots are.
I read it a lot, that people say that their plants are multiploid, but I've never seen microscope pictures or even test results to prove that.. Without those, I'm even wondering if we're not mislabeling stuff.

Apart from the dangers of colchicine, I'm wondering how - and IF - the multiploidy will be passed on. In common Violets, tetraploidy only lasts for a single generation or so, and suckers of these plants usually aren't tetraploid like the original motherplant they originated from. If memory serves me right, the same thing happens with sunflowers in future generations. I know that most crop breeders work with haploid plants, that are colchicine-induced to become diploid plants, and breed with those. Any larger number of sets, tends to be very unstable.

Morally and ethically I am not against colchicine treatment, but I'm having serious doubts about whether we should; what isn't good enough about this plant already? I mean, yields are getting better and better, size of AF's is increasing, there are various plants that have various growing times/cycles and there's a broad scala of active content variation to choose from already.
Why colchicine, and not the relatively safe CRISPR? https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/09/170914152355.htm
I mean, you'd need a chemical safety cabinet, a fume hood, proper lab materials and protection to work with colchicine, which would cost roughly the same as doing a CRISPR protocol.
Improving plants is good, but personally I think that cannabis as it is, is pretty awesome already compared to most food crops and even bamboo. If it's size and yield you want, why not go with photo plants?

Then there's always the doubt; will plants with tetraploid sets even have increased expression of traits, or is it just an increased size-thing? If the buds would be 4x the size, the trichomes could be as well, but overall, that doesn't change the relative percentage of THC:Budweight. Since treatment increases both equally.
I want to know more about this Crispr protocol you mentioned. skimming rhe article you tagged, im still not sure what its actually doing to my plants. Is ut inducing polyploids like the colchicine does? it will become a complete new experiment, perhaps to compare the effects to each. hell theres no rules, noones saying I cant do both *maniacal laughter*

I also quite like that observation as to how most breeders are preoccupied with mixing strains and playing around with various crossbreeding techniques. I hear alot of growers saying things like "og kush times silver haze" as if the crossbreed is a multipler of the input strains, when in diploid strains only so many sets of chromosomes can be simultaneously active, making it more of an average than a multiple.

That's interesting I never looked at the "og x skunk" from that perspective. I always just assumed it was a convenient way of telling what the lineage is. At least that's the way I always interpreted it.

I want to know more about this Crispr protocol you mentioned. skimming rhe article you tagged, im still not sure what its actually doing to my plants. Is ut inducing polyploids like the colchicine does? it will become a complete new experiment, perhaps to compare the effects to each. hell theres no rules, noones saying I cant do both *maniacal laughter*

CRISPR is the future of gmo. I think that gmo, if used responsibly, could be an incredibly powerful resource. Right now people are so ignorant and the potential for abuse is so great that the fear is understandable.

CRISPR is the future of gmo. I think that gmo, if used responsibly, could be an incredibly powerful resource. Right now people are so ignorant and the potential for abuse is so great that the fear is understandable.
I never actually thought of the x to imply multiples in that context, and then I heard somone say it outloud and they clearly believed (or at least wanted his listeners to beleive) that it would.

I just watched a few videos on the CRISPR protocols, and while extremly interesting, it seems to require that you know which genes you want to splice, and which genes you want to remove. is this accurate?

I never actually thought of the x to imply multiples in that context, and then I heard somone say it outloud and they clearly believed (or at least wanted his listeners to beleive) that it would.

LOL yeah. To tell you the truth I am loving the way breeders are naming their strains but at the end of the day it's all marketing now. I'm growing Auto Jedi Kush and Crystal Candy Auto. I had the idea to cross them using colloidal silver techniques because their feminized; I could name it Light Saber Auto (Crystal Candy Auto x Auto Jedi Kush) lol.

I just watched a few videos on the CRISPR protocols, and while extremly interesting, it seems to require that you know which genes you want to splice, and which genes you want to remove. is this accurate?

Yes not only would you have to know which genes and where they were, you would be doing the genetic mods just like they do in labs in vitro. You would have to have sequenced the genetic material you were working with, likely multiplied it with PCB machines etc etc etc. The benefit of the CRISPR protocols is that the way they used to get genes into dna sequences was very random and took lots of experiments, basically a very hit or miss approach. CRISPR allows gene editing with surgical precision.

life goals maybe, on using CRISPR. ive been using gibberilic acid to iduce my hermaphrodites and feminize seeds. Does colloidal silver do much the same thing? Is there any reason I should switch to colloidal silver?

life goals maybe, on using CRISPR. ive been using gibberilic acid to iduce my hermaphrodites and feminize seeds. Does colloidal silver do much the same thing? Is there any reason I should switch to colloidal silver?

I don't know enough about it to recommend one over the other. I heard colloidal silver will work, and it's readily and widely available in a spray bottle at 150PPM.

Back