Grow Mediums How Many Pots?

Reaction score
Alright, I've narrowed it down to two options, and I could use some feedback to help me make this decision.

I have a 5x5 tent, and can't decide between the Autopot XL (4 x 6.6 gallon) or Autopot (6 x 3.9 gallon). I figure most grows I do would either involve LST or possibly Scrogging.

Thanks in advance!

If it helps....

I tried 5 x 3.9 gal in a 4ft x 4ft tent.... after 3 weeks it got crowded.... removed one to another tent.

At 5 weeks it was a jungle with just 4 pots.... need to reduce it even more....

3 pots for me would be max in my space, even that would be crowded.... So I think 2 would be ideal in my space.

Based on that, I would only run a max of 4 in your tent space (depending on the other factors like light, ventilation, temps, etc).

I run 100watts of mixed HPS & LED and this is a 65 day old Blackberry Kush, chopped yesterday.... they really grow!

Day 63 ABK 2b.jpg

All depends on the strains you want to grow..... I've tried 6 x Ultimate in a 145 x 145 tent with the XL pots and it got completely out of hand, with other strains, 9 XL pots would be just right......for more Ultimate madness and the power of Autopots, see second link in my signature.....

An observation: I only has access from the front to the tent where the Ultimates was grown and that was a huge, yuge, yuge mistake. I've no doubt the yield would have better if there had only been 4 plants/pots.
On the other hand i've also grown 18 x Walter White in 6 XL pots in a 120 x 120 tent with access from 2 sides, and that worked out OK, not great, but OK. It's documented in the Mephisto Walter test thread.
If access is possible from all 3 sides, then more can be done. It's something I consider when planning, in the 2 other tents I have access from 2 sides, and those tents are bearing the brunt of the larger strains.

Last edited:
I would also recommend only doing a max of 4 plants in your space... and the 3.9gal pots are all you need as well, you can grow some monster plants with them.

I just run two of the 15L autopots in my 4x4 and can fill the space completely... Here's a full tent shot from my last grow ;)
L6lBieX.jpg

Thank you all very much! It's always nice to have firsthand reports or pics to help me make an informed decision. I think I have my 5x5 figured out. Since I bought 2 x 4 pot systems, and now have a left over system to work with, I think I may setup my 3x3 as well. It'd be a crowded bedroom, but having a 5x5 and a 3x3 would be very interesting.

Thank you all very much! It's always nice to have firsthand reports or pics to help me make an informed decision. I think I have my 5x5 figured out. Since I bought 2 x 4 pot systems, and now have a left over system to work with, I think I may setup my 3x3 as well. It'd be a crowded bedroom, but having a 5x5 and a 3x3 would be very interesting.

That sounds like a plan to me.... :cheers:

Back