I need a win - share some advice?

Why don't you try and switch to Canna Coco Pro+ and Canna nutes for you 3rd grow and call it your 1st grow :biggrin:
It's a lot easier to understand and control than soil and especially organic soils (In my opinion)
It'll cost probably 25-40% more in nutriens than the less fancy names but I found that an expense worth paying for, simply for the easier learning for a grow or 3, but that' me of course :biggrin:

If ya have good water, ppm meter, pH meter and some MegaCrop. you can easily get some Meph girls to the end with quite good results. Roots Organic Original will take you to the show of sex and then 500-550ppm TOTAL in every watering. I pH'd to 6.3-6.4 You can still use teas. mycos, Recharge, molasses and the such. MC is not too harsh to kill off all the microbes.

Nute wise, it's easy. Ya have to pay attention to everything else. Just get a good SIMPLE grow under your belt.

I used popp22's MC 550ppm method from the 'Dialing in MC' thread in my first grow.
I used cheap Linda Seeds. 2 GG'#4 and one Gelato33

Gelato 33
img_20201104_164947910_hdr-jpg.1250205

First GG#4
img_20201024_080357337-jpg.1245978

The other GG#4 named Miss Wispy was completely different pheno. I just took top buds and made fresh froze dry ice hash.
A shake for quality hash netted just shy of 60gr with her. Other trim netted about 20 gr. That worked material was then turned into canna butter that lasted a couple months from worm food.

Pay attention to details. Learn how to water properly.....still have problems with that sometimes. Pay attention to your VPD for the plant's timeline. Lung room conditions is important, Just keep it simple as possible. Keep your variables to as small as possible.

Grow and Learn!

Thanks so much to everyone who replied in this thread - @Suki813 , @Rasterman - really appreciate the tips, and I plan to check Build A Soil out in more detail. I'm going to give it a go with my Roots Organic since I already have two bags on hand, but I know I'll try a FF grow someday. Too many people have great results to not give one of these grows a shot.

@WildBill - I think this is the thread you're referring to: https://www.autoflower.org/threads/dialing-in-mega-crop-for-autos.67009/

If that's it, is there a chance you can give me a search term for the "popp22" post you're referring to? I've tried searching by that name but no luck. If there's a way to use what I have, I don't want to be wasteful!

My first two grows didn't go great.

Without going into too much detail, I think Grow 1 failed because of bad luck with a pheno (Barney's Zkittlez grew to like 5', couldn't keep the damn thing away from the light) and some issues with temp/Rh control late in the grow. Grow 2 failed due to some NLS-related deficiencies and GNATS!!! in flower, which I think led to a really long grow time to reach maturity that I had to cut short due to a basement renovation - buds came out with decent looking trichs, but the smoke wasn't great and they were really loose and larfy.

But I'm not quitting - I've got some Roots Organic, about 2.5 lbs of NLS Autoflower Concentrate, a new 3x3 tent and a dedicated, permanent growing space, and a handful of Mephisto beans.

I'm not worried about equipment, but I'm looking for advice on approach. My two thoughts: try another NLS grow but be prepped to supplement regularly as they go into flower, or go just Roots Organic and use General Hydroponics with autoflower instructions and see how that works out.

What's the "easiest" way to get a grow to the finish line? Any other tips?

Edit to add: I'm not 100% locked into these options, it's just what I have on hand!
Roots Organic = Gnats

The advice I give all newbies. Read about how people grow on here. there are a lot of well-documented growing styles that give exact methods of growing from soil to nutrients. Pick something easy. If you follow this advice you will have someone to advise you on what to do and what you need to do if it goes wrong. You can change what you are doing when you get more familiar with what you are doing. Like they say don't try and reinvent the wheel.

The advice I give all newbies. Read about how people grow on here. there are a lot of well-documented growing styles that give exact methods of growing from soil to nutrients. Pick something easy. If you follow this advice you will have someone to advise you on what to do and what you need to do if it goes wrong. You can change what you are doing when you get more familiar with what you are doing. Like they say don't try and reinvent the wheel.
What Olbobcat said.

Spend a LOT of time reading here and elsewhere.
Pick a style and then spend a lot more time researching it. Then depend on the collected wisdom here. At least that is my plan... I'll crash and burn soon enough.

This is totally the way. Just pick a style and stick with the until you figure it out. Tons of help here and people who eagerly help

my brain opened up when a fellow grower here introduced me to 5 gallon SIPs. Sips can be made out of so many things. I used a basic mix of soil (organic compost soil, perlite, spm, worm castings, and kelp meal) and then use mainly water in the res. MSU 13 and flower fuel get added along the way, but the benefit of the sip, is I top water them once and it’s then res only. It free’d me of the “oh man do these need water?!” I’m going to make bigger sips with some 10 gallon storage containers for my summer outdoor grows-I have some meph and nightowl seeds waiting for summer sip action!

Theres a ton of amazing knowledge here! I’m barely able to keep grass growing and the people here have been so generous and open with their knowledge and experience!
good luck! keep chuggin, and check out the depths of this place-it’s awesome.

My first two grows didn't go great.

Without going into too much detail, I think Grow 1 failed because of bad luck with a pheno (Barney's Zkittlez grew to like 5', couldn't keep the damn thing away from the light) and some issues with temp/Rh control late in the grow. Grow 2 failed due to some NLS-related deficiencies and GNATS!!! in flower, which I think led to a really long grow time to reach maturity that I had to cut short due to a basement renovation - buds came out with decent looking trichs, but the smoke wasn't great and they were really loose and larfy.

But I'm not quitting - I've got some Roots Organic, about 2.5 lbs of NLS Autoflower Concentrate, a new 3x3 tent and a dedicated, permanent growing space, and a handful of Mephisto beans.

I'm not worried about equipment, but I'm looking for advice on approach. My two thoughts: try another NLS grow but be prepped to supplement regularly as they go into flower, or go just Roots Organic and use General Hydroponics with autoflower instructions and see how that works out.

What's the "easiest" way to get a grow to the finish line? Any other tips?

Edit to add: I'm not 100% locked into these options, it's just what I have on hand!
:smoking: welcome to the steep side of the learning curve mate! You will do better next time for sure :greenthumb: it's not a simple as the namw "weed" makes it sound!

You have some good advice here,... and had some bad luck!
-- I have never been impressed with fucking Barney's, collective opinions I see are hit&miss with pheno's at best,.. avoid their lousy Sweet Tooth, what a shit show that one has shown to be...
Most of the companies you see here are well vetted, and do consider the smaller breeders like Twenty20Mendo, Gnome, Jean-O (1man gig, quality stuff), Night Owl and Dragon... If you are stateside, look into the seedbanks established here for better shipping odds and costs...

Gnats are a bitch, but can be beaten back pretty easily.. best work prevention side vs. curative though! A variety of products out there, some biological like Bt, nematodes,... organic stuff like frass (bug turds literally, nutritious too!),... Some homework to do there as well,...

--- avoid Fuxfarm soils, fair warning! Lucky are the few that get good batches, many get shwag full of debris, undercooked components, bugs and worst majorly off pH, talking low 5's here :fire: :finger:- you FF! I ran Sick Bay for 6 years here, OF was the #1 problem soil hands down,...
Roots Organics has shown pretty well, Royal Gold King's Mix is one I use that likely fairly well distributed...

Now about "organic soil" and synthetic nutes, that's just fine... I'd say learning the nutes is one of the tougher aspects, managing pH, ppm's, in solution and in-pot! Trust me, sooo much hinges off the in-pot pH being in proper range! Getting your nutes pH dialed in before feeding is a big chunk of the battle,... To date, I like Prescription Blend nutes best, a smart 6-part system that is flexible enough to tinker and adjust if needed; 2 parts can be used as foliar treats which is an excellent way to boost your girls!

That said, going with a "water only" type soil, (not necessarily a TLO, true living organic) is a smart way to flatten that curve some! I have gone this route myself to eliminate the feed hassles with synthetics, and I wanted organics mainly anyway... Build-a' soil, SoHum, KIS Organics (I use them) are fine choices!
I use the KIS Nutrient dry amendment pack, just add in, mix, and let cook for a couple weeks someplace warm, and it's good to go! Next to no inputs for auto's, I still use certain occasional supp's like Si, kelp, humic-fulvic, micronutes (EJ Microblast), maybe some light PK boosting, and very impotantly, inoculant and enzymes! The soil herd is KEY in organics, they are what coverts and cycles the nutrients into forms the plants can absorb... These basic chemical forms are the SAME as what synthetics bring, plants to not distinguish between, say, nitrate from mineral salts or organic sources...Organics are slower because of this, but not by that much and you have no salt buildup issues to sweat over...

As for environment, in a word-- warm! Auto's hate cold and will let you know it,... In organics, it's a bog down as well, so keep your girls warm even at night, above 65-70 if you can... upper 70's - low 80's day T's is the sweet spot....
RH% is really important too, and depending on where you live/grow, a snap or a bitch to deal with... RH% and T's are deeply tied together (look in Reference section about VPD, like Bill mentioned)... These affect transpiration rates, and thus how much and well water + nutes get hauled up from roots to tips!
nice gentle, even air movement is your friend, not blasting fans or dead air....

Anyway, that's an eyeful for now :toke:

Last edited:
:smoking: welcome to the steep side of the learning curve mate! You will do better next time for sure :greenthumb: it's not a simple as the namw "weed" makes it sound!

You have some good advice here,... and had some bad luck!
-- I have never been impressed with fucking Barney's, collective opinions I see are hit&miss with pheno's at best,.. avoid their lousy Sweet Tooth, what a shit show that one has shown to be...
Most of the companies you see here are well vetted, and do consider the smaller breeders like Twenty20Mendo, Gnome, Jean-O (1man gig, quality stuff), Night Owl and Dragon... If you are stateside, look into the seedbanks established here for better shipping odds and costs...

Gnats are a bitch, but can be beaten back pretty easily.. best work prevention side vs. curative though! A variety of products out there, some biological like Bt, nematodes,... organic stuff like frass (bug turds literally, nutritious too!),... Some homework to do there as well,...

--- avoid Fuxfarm soils, fair warning! Lucky are the few that get good batches, many get shwag full of debris, undercooked components, bugs and worst majorly off pH, talking low 5's here :fire: :finger:- you FF! I ran Sick Bay for 6 years here, OF was the #1 problem soil hands down,...
Roots Organics has shown pretty well, Royal Gold King's Mix is one I use that likely fairly well distributed...

Now about "organic soil" and synthetic nutes, that's just fine... I'd say learning the nutes is one of the tougher aspects, managing pH, ppm's, in solution and in-pot! Trust me, sooo much hinges off the in-pot pH being in proper range! Getting your nutes pH dialed in before feeding is a big chunk of the battle,... To date, I like Prescription Blend nutes best, a smart 6-part system that is flexible enough to tinker and adjust if needed; 2 parts can be used as foliar treats which is an excellent way to boost your girls!

That said, going with a "water only" type soil, (not necessarily a TLO, true living organic) is a smart way to flatten that curve some! I have gone this route myself to eliminate the feed hassles with synthetics, and I wanted organics mainly anyway... Build-a' soil, SoHum, KIS Organics (I use them) are fine choices!
I use the KIS Nutrient dry amendment pack, just add in, mix, and let cook for a couple weeks someplace warm, and it's good to go! Next to no inputs for auto's, I still use certain occasional supp's like Si, kelp, humic-fulvic, micronutes (EJ Microblast), maybe some light PK boosting, and very impotantly, inoculant and enzymes! The soil herd is KEY in organics, they are what coverts and cycles the nutrients into forms the plants can absorb... These basic chemical forms are the SAME as what synthetics bring, plants to not distinguish between, say, nitrate from mineral salts or organic sources...Organics are slower because of this, but not by that much and you have no salt buildup issues to sweat over...

As for environment, in a word-- warm! Auto's hate cold and will let you know it,... In organics, it's a bog down as well, so keep your girls warm even at night, above 65-70 if you can... upper 70's - low 80's day T's is the sweet spot....
RH% is really important too, and depending on where you live/grow, a snap or a bitch to deal with... RH% and T's are deeply tied together (look in Reference section about VPD, like Bill mentioned)... These affect transpiration rates, and thus how much and well water + nutes get hauled up from roots to tips!
nice gentle, even air movement is your friend, not blasting fans or dead air....

Anyway, that's an eyeful for now :toke:

Thanks so much - I'm going to dig in and do some reading on using KIS Nutrients (along with BuildASoil) in the future because it sounds like a good way to grow, but I think on this next grow I'm going to give the MegaCrop method mentioned by @WildBill earlier in the thread a try if I can find where to buy some MegaCrop (there are several grow stores in my area, not sure if they carry MegaCrop, though). It looks like there's lots of people using it and lots of information out there, which will be helpful - and this idea allows m to use the RO I have on hand! I'm going to research the thread I think Bill was referencing and come up with a plan.

Regarding environment, it's dry here but I've got humidifiers, and the ambient temperature in my growing space is about 67 - which usually puts me right in the range I want when I fire up the light, and I also have a small heater I can use if needed. I've read about VPD and know how to watch it closely this time, I do suspect that I was out of the proper temp vs humidity range during parts of my previous grows.

It's really interesting what you've said about FF and OF, I hadn't heard that before but had noticed lots of people singing the praises. I'm concerned that Roots Organic and gnats seem to go together, but I'm planning to prevent that using diatomaceous earth on the next grow. Definitely something I'm going to keep an eye on though, and may even actually run an experiment on in an extra grow tent I have.

Thanks so much - I'm going to dig in and do some reading on using KIS Nutrients (along with BuildASoil) in the future because it sounds like a good way to grow, but I think on this next grow I'm going to give the MegaCrop method mentioned by @WildBill earlier in the thread a try if I can find where to buy some MegaCrop (there are several grow stores in my area, not sure if they carry MegaCrop, though). It looks like there's lots of people using it and lots of information out there, which will be helpful - and this idea allows m to use the RO I have on hand! I'm going to research the thread I think Bill was referencing and come up with a plan.

Regarding environment, it's dry here but I've got humidifiers, and the ambient temperature in my growing space is about 67 - which usually puts me right in the range I want when I fire up the light, and I also have a small heater I can use if needed. I've read about VPD and know how to watch it closely this time, I do suspect that I was out of the proper temp vs humidity range during parts of my previous grows.

It's really interesting what you've said about FF and OF, I hadn't heard that before but had noticed lots of people singing the praises. I'm concerned that Roots Organic and gnats seem to go together, but I'm planning to prevent that using diatomaceous earth on the next grow. Definitely something I'm going to keep an eye on though, and may even actually run an experiment on in an extra grow tent I have.
You can order a starter bag directly from them that will carry yo through a couple of small grows.

Back