I need a win - share some advice?

You can order a starter bag directly from them that will carry yo through a couple of small grows.

I was just on their site, and a few other online retailers - I'm only seeing a 25 lb (!!!) bag currently available. Is this unusual for MC through Greenleaf or a more common thing?

Thanks so much - I'm going to dig in and do some reading on using KIS Nutrients (along with BuildASoil) in the future because it sounds like a good way to grow, but I think on this next grow I'm going to give the MegaCrop method mentioned by @WildBill earlier in the thread a try if I can find where to buy some MegaCrop (there are several grow stores in my area, not sure if they carry MegaCrop, though). It looks like there's lots of people using it and lots of information out there, which will be helpful - and this idea allows m to use the RO I have on hand! I'm going to research the thread I think Bill was referencing and come up with a plan.

Regarding environment, it's dry here but I've got humidifiers, and the ambient temperature in my growing space is about 67 - which usually puts me right in the range I want when I fire up the light, and I also have a small heater I can use if needed. I've read about VPD and know how to watch it closely this time, I do suspect that I was out of the proper temp vs humidity range during parts of my previous grows.

It's really interesting what you've said about FF and OF, I hadn't heard that before but had noticed lots of people singing the praises. I'm concerned that Roots Organic and gnats seem to go together, but I'm planning to prevent that using diatomaceous earth on the next grow. Definitely something I'm going to keep an eye on though, and may even actually run an experiment on in an extra grow tent I have.
Diatomaceous Earth is decent stuff, but understand that it only bugs the bugs when it is bone dry. Putting it on top of your soil will not help.

IMO, a combination of Mosquito Dunks (Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies israelensis (Bti)) and sticky panels is the most effective solution for gnats, those and keeping the surface of your soil as dry as feasible given your fertigation/irrigation setup. Others here have also used electronic zappers - adult gnats are apparently attracted to the blue light. I buy the stickies as largish sheets off Amazon, the little ones at the garden supply places are stupid expensive by comparison. For me, the best way to use the dunks is to break one up in your watering can and leave it in there in water for a day before watering. Add more water to the residual (it will last for multiple waterings) after using some so that it gets to sit for hours before applying it. Give it a good stir or shake before watering, and it is really bad news for gnat larvae.

Going with a prepared soil that is highly reviewed here should get you through a grow nicely, and so will a grow with MegaCrop. I recommend the two part MC, and your best source may be online. @Mañ'O'Green has worked up a schedule specifically for MC 2 part and autos. You will need to have a pH meter and an EC/PPM meter. Don't go cheap on the pH meter, but any calibratable EC meter will do the job. I recommend an Apera PH60 for pH, and this cheapie for EC/PPM:
TDS Meter Digital Water Tester - 3 in 1 ppm EC and Temperature Test Pen | Easy to Use Water Purity Tester | Ideal for Testing RO Drinking Water Swimming Pool Hydroponics Aquarium & More | White : Amazon.ca: Industrial & Scientific

If you go with Megacrop, using coco medium would be my choice, and if you do that, make sure that you study CocoforCannabis.com first.

Once again, if you use the DE to kill gnats, you will have to apply it so that it stays dry, and locate it where the adults will contact it. On or in the soil is no good - putting it there might add a bit of silica, but it will do bugger all to control gnats. Stickies are IMO better for killing adults in our grows. :pighug:

Good luck with it.

I was just on their site, and a few other online retailers - I'm only seeing a 25 lb (!!!) bag currently available. Is this unusual for MC through Greenleaf or a more common thing?
I have not used it in a while. I am not sure if they no longer have it or what the timeframe is. I only got it once from them

Click the drop down where it says 25lbs and it'll bring up other sizes. I think 1000g of the 1 part probably lasted me around 15-20 plants

Diatomaceous Earth is decent stuff, but understand that it only bugs the bugs when it is bone dry. Putting it on top of your soil will not help.

IMO, a combination of Mosquito Dunks (Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies israelensis (Bti)) and sticky panels is the most effective solution for gnats, those and keeping the surface of your soil as dry as feasible given your fertigation/irrigation setup. Others here have also used electronic zappers - adult gnats are apparently attracted to the blue light. I buy the stickies as largish sheets off Amazon, the little ones at the garden supply places are stupid expensive by comparison. For me, the best way to use the dunks is to break one up in your watering can and leave it in there in water for a day before watering. Add more water to the residual (it will last for multiple waterings) after using some so that it gets to sit for hours before applying it. Give it a good stir or shake before watering, and it is really bad news for gnat larvae.

Going with a prepared soil that is highly reviewed here should get you through a grow nicely, and so will a grow with MegaCrop. I recommend the two part MC, and your best source may be online. @Mañ'O'Green has worked up a schedule specifically for MC 2 part and autos. You will need to have a pH meter and an EC/PPM meter. Don't go cheap on the pH meter, but any calibratable EC meter will do the job. I recommend an Apera PH60 for pH, and this cheapie for EC/PPM:
TDS Meter Digital Water Tester - 3 in 1 ppm EC and Temperature Test Pen | Easy to Use Water Purity Tester | Ideal for Testing RO Drinking Water Swimming Pool Hydroponics Aquarium & More | White : Amazon.ca: Industrial & Scientific

If you go with Megacrop, using coco medium would be my choice, and if you do that, make sure that you study CocoforCannabis.com first.

Once again, if you use the DE to kill gnats, you will have to apply it so that it stays dry, and locate it where the adults will contact it. On or in the soil is no good - putting it there might add a bit of silica, but it will do bugger all to control gnats. Stickies are IMO better for killing adults in our grows. :pighug:

Good luck with it.

Interesting - and I actually have some dunks that I use around the yard! I have a very similar EC tester and an Apera PH20, so not quite as good as the PH60 but probably OK!

Click the drop down where it says 25lbs and it'll bring up other sizes. I think 1000g of the 1 part probably lasted me around 15-20 plants

Thanks, but 1kg and 2.5kg showing as out of stock. Thinking about trying the 2 part...

Their US site has 1000g in part a and b in stock. You using their website? Greenleafnutrients

Haha - sorry! My bad. Megacrop (1-part) only available in 25lb+ quantities. You're totally right about the 2 part though!
From my understanding (never used MC myself) 2 part is the way to go.

I had nothing but problems with the 1 part but I also had a faulty pH meter so I'm sure that didn't help. Gave up on megacrop but a lot of people around here really like the 2 part

Back