Mephisto Genetics Mephisto Germ-tech, a quick guide!

Another way to avoid over watering I learned from @slowandeasy

Still need to be careful though. No method is automatically going to take care of watering issues the first couple of weeks, but you can even the odds of using proper water amounts.

This method using bottom feeding instead of top. Less chance of over watering.
  1. Weigh cups with medium in it so you know the weight when dry.
  2. Precharge the medium (coco, peat, whatever) a couple of days before and put in the cups and partially cover with dome so it retains moisture and put it in the tent to get to temperature properly. Don't precharge with a lot of water.
  3. Puncture holes in the bottom of the cup for draining but also that is how water will get in to the cups.
  4. When ready to sow, drop bean in the cup and cover loosely with dirt.
  5. Dunk the bottom inch or so in water and hold it for a couple of secs. Water will wick up in to the bottom inch of the cup by itself. So you are only watering the bottom inch of the cup instead of from the top. I find that helps me keep the watering down to a minimum. And it sets up the system so the roots will grow down to the bottom which is what you want.
  6. Don't let the cups be in standing water.
  7. Pick up the cups every day at least and feel the weight. You can tell when they need another bottom dunk. You can also weigh them again and compare to when cups are dry. When they seem dry, do the bottom short dunk again.
  8. Also if you use clear cups you can see the moisture in them or how dry they are. That helps with preventing over watering because it's good visual way to judge moisture. You can also see the roots as they grow and once you see them down and on the sides, about 10 days in the cups, then you can pot up to the final pot.

Hey everyone!

I purchased 4 strains from Mephisto

Forgotten Cookies
Creme De La Chem
White Chem
Grapey Walter
And received many freebies

Germinated 2 FC, 2 CDLC, and 2 Creme Bubbly (freebies) using the suggested method on the Mephisto website. The FC and CDLC all germinated great and are currently 3 weeks into their grow. However the Creme Bubbly did not germ. They’re free so I wasn’t bothered and germinated the remaining 3. The 3 didn’t germinate either. Then I germinated 3 Livers cross (also a freebie) with no luck.

I figured maybe try something I paid for. Tried 2 White Chem and the tail stuck out but seemed to stall on both but I figured throw them in soil to see how that goes. After about a week nothing. So I look in the soil and the tails never grew and just shriveled. Those were tossed and 3 more White Chem were put into a glass of water this time. After 48 hours 2 have very short tails and one has nothing. The tails seem to be stalled again. I am growing in Coco Loco.

I’ve heard nothing but amazing things about Mephisto so as my first auto grow I wanted to use the best. The 4 that are currently going look amazing. Just seems like germination is the point they stall.

What am I doing wrong? I’ve gone through 10-13 seeds with no luck.

Help!

Hey everyone!

I purchased 4 strains from Mephisto

Forgotten Cookies
Creme De La Chem
White Chem
Grapey Walter
And received many freebies

Germinated 2 FC, 2 CDLC, and 2 Creme Bubbly (freebies) using the suggested method on the Mephisto website. The FC and CDLC all germinated great and are currently 3 weeks into their grow. However the Creme Bubbly did not germ. They’re free so I wasn’t bothered and germinated the remaining 3. The 3 didn’t germinate either. Then I germinated 3 Livers cross (also a freebie) with no luck.

I figured maybe try something I paid for. Tried 2 White Chem and the tail stuck out but seemed to stall on both but I figured throw them in soil to see how that goes. After about a week nothing. So I look in the soil and the tails never grew and just shriveled. Those were tossed and 3 more White Chem were put into a glass of water this time. After 48 hours 2 have very short tails and one has nothing. The tails seem to be stalled again. I am growing in Coco Loco.

I’ve heard nothing but amazing things about Mephisto so as my first auto grow I wanted to use the best. The 4 that are currently going look amazing. Just seems like germination is the point they stall.

What am I doing wrong? I’ve gone through 10-13 seeds with no luck.

Help!
I recently lost about 12 seeds from a bad germ and I'm pretty sure it was all my fault. Can you describe in detail what method you're using including temperature

I’ve never had success getting in paper towel. Outdoor grows were plopped in soul and hoped for the best.

Newbie indoors...My recent indoor adventure led me to rapid rooters. Soaked in MedinaPlus, squeezed out most solution, plopped seeds and 3 days later they germed.

MedinaPlus ingredient...”over 40 trace elements, cytokinin (natural growth hormones from seaweed extract), magnesium, iron, zinc, PABA (para-aminobenzoic) acid, riboflavin, thiamin, biotin, nicotinic acid and all essential trace elements. “. Religiously feed my outdoor soil critters with it too. Hasta Gro is my go to as well.

Edit: mine are Mephisto beauties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I recently lost about 12 seeds from a bad germ and I'm pretty sure it was all my fault. Can you describe in detail what method you're using including temperature

Were all 12 of those Mephisto?

They were placed in a cup of water for 15 hrs then put them in a paper towel till tap root is about 2cm long. The creme bubbly went straight to paper towel without placing in cup first as per Mephistos instructions. Temps were between 70-70F

Were all 12 of those Mephisto?

They were placed in a cup of water for 15 hrs then put them in a paper towel till tap root is about 2cm long. The creme bubbly went straight to paper towel without placing in cup first as per Mephistos instructions. Temps were between 70-70F

I log what I grow but not when it was a fail. So I'm not exactly sure what they all were but I would estimate 10 of 12 were various Mephisto. But after that happened I rethought what I was doing and got my game on basically and did it again. I had 13/14 germ after that. Germ is easy in some respects and sometimes its just hard for some reason at least for me it is (only 1.5 years growing).

I believe the last time with the high failure rate was related to too much moisture in the paper towels and a bit of a drowning/suffocation that happened. So the next time I used the spray bottle to lightly moisten the paper towels. I'd say the second time I used half as much spray compared to the first time. Then once per day I'd open up the baggies I had the paper towels in to give them some air and a very light misting to re moisten. I put a heat mat under them and some books to distance them to where the temp right at the seeds was 75F. And I put the baggies with the paper and seeds in towels to wrap them up to stabilize the temp and to keep things dark.

Not sure you'll get anything helpful out of that as everyones situation is different for germ issues I find. Good luck with the next time. You did get it to work once before so maybe look at what you did then and what you did recently where it didn't work.

So far im 100% using a method i saw on YouTube

36 hours in a cup of tap water then placed in a damp paper towel for 36 hours

3 days total and I usually have a tap root that’s atleast a inch long

I am a newbie to growing.....yup, begun doing it in the early 80's. Over the decades I have looked to simplify things, and try and do what nature does. Currently I have a 100% germination rate with memphisto seeds, some them old and having been stored in my dresser drawer. I use a mixture of Coco Loco and Ocean Forrest and also Fox Farm. I simply plant the seed 1/2 inch down into this mixture of soil and they have always sprung to life, some fast, some slow, but they have always sprung to life. I am sure the day is coming when one doesn't pop up, when I plant a seed that doesn't have life, it happens, but so far I have been very fortunate, I just put them in soil and water, just like what would happen in nature, and life happens....

Double Grape seedling:
f-15.jpg

Last edited:
I am a newbie to growing.....yup, begun doing it in the early 80's. Over the decades I have looked to simplify things, and try and do what nature does. Currently I have a 100% germination rate with memphisto seeds, some them old and having been stored in my dresser drawer. I use a mixture of Coco Loco and Ocean Forrest and also Fox Farm. I simply plant the seed 1/2 inch down into this mixture of soil and they have always sprung to life, some fast, some slow, but they have always sprung to life. I am sure the day is coming when one doesn't pop up, when I plant a seed that doesn't have life, it happens, but so far I have been very fortunate, I just put them in soil and water, just like what would happen in nature, and life happens....

Double Grape seedling:
View attachment 980151

Often simplicity is key in most things we do!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back