Grow Mediums Mephisto & Roc Bud Inc & Mega Crop

I am not the best at looking and then pin pointing an answer. I do wonder why the top of the pot looks so dry. My pots always look rather wet or do you have a "topping" on them.

Day 31 VEG // 80F // 70% RH // Lights @ 48% intensity // Light Height @ 24-30" = 20,000 - 26,000 Lux

Nutrients: 5 gal in res
Cal Mag Pro = 1.25 g / gal
Mega Crop = 2.75g / gal
pH = 5.8

Okay! Heres the first real sign of trouble, i guess. ( @bushmasterar15 @Olderfart @pop22 @Nosias ) Avengers, Assemble! It seems like both plants, but especially the 3BOG, are suffering from Magnesium deficiency. For the last 10 days, the plants have been getting 1.25g/gal of Cal Mag Pro and 2g/gal of Mega Crop along with 1g/gal of Sweet Candy. Before that, the Cal Mag was at 0.75g/gal.

As of yesterday, i changed the res and now am no longer feeding Sweet Candy (im not convinced it was doing much since i grow in coco, and it made my autopot res all weird) but i did increase the Mega Crop. Now we're at 1.25g of Cal Mag and 2.75g of Mega Crop.

What do you all think the leaves are telling me? I know deficiencies often take a while to show up, so am i seeing the leaves tell me that 1.25g of calmag is too low, or was having the calmag at 0.75g that was too low?

My EC for the last 10 days was 1.36 and ppm was 989 average. The new res (as of yesterday) is at 1.27 EC and 917 ppm.

PS: That white stuff that looks like paint is just Diatomaceous Earth that got wet and then dried.

View attachment 1231880

View attachment 1231881
Have you checked your runoff ph? I think you are correct, you have a magnesium deficiency, the question is why. The coco website says that it is pre-buffered, so presumably that is not the problem. Since you are using reasonable amounts of cal mag, my suspicion is that you have some sort of lockout going on, either from pH or from other nute concentrations. However, I am too new at this to help you with details on interactions with other nutes.

If I were you, I would double check the ph of runoff. The way I do it with autopots is to turn off the nute supply and either empty the reservoir by sucking out the liquid or just letting the plant drink it. Then I water from the top with enough nute mix to get the reservoir full, and check the ph and EC in the reservoir. If the pH and EC are good, then you know that your coco has not crept out of range, so the problem is either a simple lack of magnesium, or some sort of lockout caused by other nutes. If the ph is not good, I flush the pot with multiple gallons of pH'ed nute mix at the EC that I want the plant to grow with. Do not flush with just water, the change in EC is an unnecessary shock to the plant. Flush with exactly what you want to feed with until the runoff is the same as the input. Then you know that the coco is where you want it to be, at least until it drifts again, if it does. On the few recent occasions when I have done this, I have just kept the runoff nutes, and re-used them once the ph and EC are adjusted back to where I want them.

If your coco pH is good, you are going to need advice from someone with more experience - @Waira would be a good bet. Having said that, I pH'ed to ~6.0 in my coco grows, so maybe 5.8 might be a bit low.

Good luck with it. :pighug:

That's no Mg def, looks like N lockout due to PH or over feeding issues. Lower leaves yellowing is an N issue. I'd check the runoff PH and reduce your solution EC. My experience with Megacrop says your EC is way too high. you want to be in the 500-600 ppm ( ec 1.1?? ) The highest I've run MC has been 535ppms

This plant was run start to finish at an average of 525ppms

Chem OG pic1 -8-31-2020.jpg

Day 31 VEG // 80F // 70% RH // Lights @ 48% intensity // Light Height @ 24-30" = 20,000 - 26,000 Lux

Nutrients: 5 gal in res
Cal Mag Pro = 1.25 g / gal
Mega Crop = 2.75g / gal
pH = 5.8

Okay! Heres the first real sign of trouble, i guess. ( @bushmasterar15 @Olderfart @pop22 @Nosias ) Avengers, Assemble! It seems like both plants, but especially the 3BOG, are suffering from Magnesium deficiency. For the last 10 days, the plants have been getting 1.25g/gal of Cal Mag Pro and 2g/gal of Mega Crop along with 1g/gal of Sweet Candy. Before that, the Cal Mag was at 0.75g/gal.

As of yesterday, i changed the res and now am no longer feeding Sweet Candy (im not convinced it was doing much since i grow in coco, and it made my autopot res all weird) but i did increase the Mega Crop. Now we're at 1.25g of Cal Mag and 2.75g of Mega Crop.

What do you all think the leaves are telling me? I know deficiencies often take a while to show up, so am i seeing the leaves tell me that 1.25g of calmag is too low, or was having the calmag at 0.75g that was too low?

My EC for the last 10 days was 1.36 and ppm was 989 average. The new res (as of yesterday) is at 1.27 EC and 917 ppm.

PS: That white stuff that looks like paint is just Diatomaceous Earth that got wet and then dried.

View attachment 1231880

View attachment 1231881

Have you checked your runoff ph? I think you are correct, you have a magnesium deficiency, the question is why. The coco website says that it is pre-buffered, so presumably that is not the problem. Since you are using reasonable amounts of cal mag, my suspicion is that you have some sort of lockout going on, either from pH or from other nute concentrations. However, I am too new at this to help you with details on interactions with other nutes.

If I were you, I would double check the ph of runoff. The way I do it with autopots is to turn off the nute supply and either empty the reservoir by sucking out the liquid or just letting the plant drink it. Then I water from the top with enough nute mix to get the reservoir full, and check the ph and EC in the reservoir. If the pH and EC are good, then you know that your coco has not crept out of range, so the problem is either a simple lack of magnesium, or some sort of lockout caused by other nutes. If the ph is not good, I flush the pot with multiple gallons of pH'ed nute mix at the EC that I want the plant to grow with. Do not flush with just water, the change in EC is an unnecessary shock to the plant. Flush with exactly what you want to feed with until the runoff is the same as the input. Then you know that the coco is where you want it to be, at least until it drifts again, if it does. On the few recent occasions when I have done this, I have just kept the runoff nutes, and re-used them once the ph and EC are adjusted back to where I want them.

If your coco pH is good, you are going to need advice from someone with more experience - @Waira would be a good bet. Having said that, I pH'ed to ~6.0 in my coco grows, so maybe 5.8 might be a bit low.

Nice and clear.

That's no Mg def, looks like N lockout due to PH or over feeding issues. Lower leaves yellowing is an N issue. I'd check the runoff PH and reduce your solution EC. My experience with Megacrop says your EC is way too high. you want to be in the 500-600 ppm ( ec 1.1?? ) The highest I've run MC has been 535ppms

View attachment 1232003
Nice advise.

I am not the best at looking and then pin pointing an answer. I do wonder why the top of the pot looks so dry. My pots always look rather wet or do you have a "topping" on them.

Oh yeah haha its a sand cover to get fungus gnats under control. works perfectly!

Thank you both!! Yeah im gonna give em a flush and see what happens. =]

Back