Indoor The 2024 Great Grape Off. Mephisto Grape Crush Vs Original Sensible Seeds Grape Soda

Had a minor emergency this morning. Was adjusting wires and one of the top branches on the grape soda snapped but not off. Partial split. I ran to the dollar store and got some super glue. If you didn't know, super glue works just as well on plants as it does humans.

Did a little more trimming and training this morning.

20240112_125148.jpg

20240112_125145.jpg

This will likely be the last time I make any major training moves, like, I might loose the wires up a bit as the plant grows, but I doubt I'll be pulling down any more branches. I had to trim some of the large fan leaves out of the way so I could see to work without causing any damage.

The Grape Soda is still ahead of the Grape Crush as far as overall growth. How ever The Grape Crush's fan leaves had a much dankier smell to them. And quality > quantity, in my opinion.

But you can see how I do here, I top at the 3rd node so I have 6 branches, then I lay then out like hands on a clock if you are looking from above, so like noon, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10. And I pull each branch down as low as I can. Then, the middle few nodes I of the main branches I typically trim those leaves and branches off, but in this case a left a bit. But thats stuff I'd end up trimming out later anyways, so might as well do it now before the plant puts a bunch of energy into making them bigger. Now I have 6 main branches that will grow up and act like their own little plant. I should end up with 24 or 36 nice big colas on the top of the plant when we're said and done.

Just as an example, here is an Orange Diesel that I am growing that I treated the exact same way.

20240112_125325.jpg

Moved the girls to the flower tent today. They went into fresh buckets that I scrubbed some some of that LA's Totally Awesome stuff and a scrub brush. The light is a Mars Hydro FC-E3000, its a 300 watt LED. This is only my second grow with it, but I can tell I am seeing denser buds compared to when I used a 200 watt LED for the same space.

20240113_190929.jpg

Both have the same 4" dome shaped bubble stone. The air pump was given to me by a friend, I'm not sure what it is, but its one of the big heavy duty ones and has no problem feeding all 4 buckets.
20240113_190947.jpg

Coming up on 29 days since sprout and I'm not seeing any signs of pistils yet.

Things are still looking good. Checked PH and ppm yesterday, and they didn't need any corrections.

20240118_102618.jpg

The OSS Grape Soda seems more spindly than the Meph Grape Crush. I'm going to assume the Meph plant has a higher indica amount, making it squatter and more bush like. I don't care one way or another, just stating it for the court.

20240118_102709.jpg

20240118_102718.jpg

The roots are super healthy looking on both.

Just a quick update:

The Grape Soda is into flower

1705961460496.png

The Grape Crush is not in flower at all.

1705961486726.png

The Grape Crush also seems to be like my back hair. The more you remove those leaves, the heavier and denser it comes back. Where as the Grape Soda has had the same level of defoliation and has stayed that way.

The Grape Crush also has much thicker and less flexible branches, making it more difficult to train, you can tell that I have gotten the Soda to spread out past the top of the bucket, where as the Crush is still well within the boundaries of the lid.

20240131_090150.jpg

Not much of an update, but both are still looking good. I noticed a little discoloration on the Grape Soda and checked PH and the ph had drifted to around 7 for both plants. Corrected with 6ml of sulfuric acid solution.

Both appear that they are going to produce well. The Grape Crush hasn't started to flower yet at all, and we're around Day 45. I always feel like its a sign of quality genetics if they don't flower early.

The Grape Soda has flowered, and you may notice later that I marked a branch with some electrical tape - I have a male Bloodstone producing pollen and I like to take the opportunity to make some fun crosses. If the Grape Crush flowers in time, I'll do the same to it. I cut a branch with pollen sacs off the male and rub it on the flowers I'd like to pollinate. I did the same to the Cherry Alien I just harvested and just off one little branch I got 30 or more seeds. They are regs, so you have to grow them out in a solo cup until they show sex, but I consider that fun!

The Grape Soda is also using more nutrient solution, and thats only because it has a larger leaf surface area right now, so there is more surface area for evaporation. Once the Grape Crush recovers from its defoliation, it will catch right up.

I have also slightly increased the nutrients on both, to around 800ppm and both seem ok, I'm not seeing any burnt tips.

wow, that's wild, my grape crushes are almost done at d68! bet you'll get some heavy yields

I am consistently getting 5 to 7 ounces off each plant I grow in DWC. There are exceptions. I just harvested a Cherry Alien that was a bit of a runt. I didn't weigh it, but I'd be shocked if it was 2 ounces total.

Back