Indoor The 2024 Great Grape Off. Mephisto Grape Crush Vs Original Sensible Seeds Grape Soda

Blue_dreamer

450* Braise it!
Reaction score
Mephisto had a black friday deal, any orders got 5 free Grape Crush seeds.

Grape Crush isn't listed on their site, but its Grape Crinkle x Sundae Thumper

The Grape Soda came from Original Sensible Seeds.
Grape Soda's lineage is OG Kush x SFV OG x Super Auto (https://originalsensible.us/original-sensible-seeds-grape-soda-auto~21709)

It just so happened I sprouted 2 grape varieties at the same time, so I thought it would be fun to grow them side by side and see which is better and then which has a better terpene profile. I'll have several friends test it out and tell me what they like and don't like about each.

Both seeds were sprouted on 12/16/23 in rockwool, and after a few days moved to a net cup and surrounded by LECA.

Both will be grown in 5 gallon Harbor Freight buckets with 4" net cups using Masterblend nutrients. They will get identical nutrients, and have water changes at the same time. I will do my best to ensure the lighting and everything else about their environments are identical. Both also have identical air stones connected to the same air pump.

Pics from

12/22
20231222_123608.jpg

20231222_123612.jpg

Today is 1/2/24. I topped them above the 3rd node, so there will be 6 main branches on each. They are nearly identical in size and shape.
20240102_154239.jpg

I will update this thread weekly with pics and status.

Grape Soda's lineage is OG Kush x SFV OG x Super Auto (https://originalsensible.us/original-sensible-seeds-grape-soda-auto~21709)

It just so happened I sprouted 2 grape varieties at the same time, so I thought it would be fun to grow them side by side and see which is better and then which has a better terpene profile. I'll have several friends test it out and tell me what they like and don't like about each.

Both seeds were sprouted on 12/16/23 in rockwool, and after a few days moved to a net cup and surrounded by LECA.

Both will be grown in 5 gallon Harbor Freight buckets with 4" net cups using Masterblend nutrients. They will get identical nutrients, and have water changes at the same time. I will do my best to ensure the lighting and everything else about their environments are identical. Both also have identical air stones connected to the same air pump.

Pics from

12/22
View attachment 1656992

View attachment 1656993

Today is 1/2/24. I topped them above the 3rd node, so there will be 6 main branches on each. They are nearly identical in size and shape.
View attachment 1656994

Looking good. I may have to try that style myself. Kind of a hempy bucket thing isn't it?

Looking good. I may have to try that style myself. Kind of a hempy bucket thing isn't it?

I'm not sure what you mean? Hempy bucket?

Its a 4" netpot

1704236629995.png

and its just sat down in a 4" hole in the top of the 5 gallon bucket so that the roots hang down into the water.

Its DWC, I guess.

Pics from

12/22
View attachment 1656992

View attachment 1656993

View attachment 1656994

In my tent, I see dramatically different terpene profiles between different runs of the same Mephisto strains. I don't know if it's me or not (I've noticed similar things running photo clones). Just something to keep in mind.

I am looking forward to seeing what you learn though, so please don't consider this a negative comment.

Today is 1/7/24

ph and ppms are identical in both buckets.

I honestly can not tell which is the bigger plant. The OSS seems to be a bit leggier, while the Mephisto probably has more indica because the leaves are a little bigger and its slightly more squat of a plant.

I opened the tent up and found that syringe...I think they might be shooting up steroids...
20240107_065849.jpg

The OSS Grape Soda has some really cool looking nodes where the branches attach to the trunk, the meph plant doesn't have that. But I'm sure thats just genetics from whatever their parents were.
20240107_065901.jpg

Roots on both looking really healthy. Both also have a very very strong smell, if you touch the leaves and then smell your fingers its extremely weed smelling, more so than most plants I've grown.

Today they got a boost of nutrients, ppms were down to around 600. I added 10ml each of both A (nutrients) and B (Nitrogen) to each and bumped them up to about 750 ppm.

20240107_065915.jpg

Started training today.

20240108_125715.jpg

20240108_125718.jpg

I unfortunately broke a branch on the Mephisto plant. The mephisto is a smaller plant at this point, and seemed more brittle, less willing to bend without breaking. One of the main branches snapped off. While its unfortunate, it'll bounce back. Mistakes happen.

Your buckets look very clean, that's important in growing hydro. Top tip, add a couple of ml's H²O² to your nutrient tank. It'll help in keeping it clean for longer. Also adding a large airstone like the one below greatly expands oxygen uptake by the water. Which does need to be kept at around 20-25°C / 68-77°F for optimal oxygen uptake. The more oxygen you can get into the water, the faster your plants will grow provided all the other variables are perfect.

Your buckets look very clean, that's important in growing hydro. Top tip, add a couple of ml's H²O² to your nutrient tank. It'll help in keeping it clean for longer. Also adding a large airstone like the one below greatly expands oxygen uptake by the water. Which does need to be kept at around 20-25°C / 68-77°F for optimal oxygen uptake. The more oxygen you can get into the water, the faster your plants will grow provided all the other variables are perfect.

I use this style air stone

1704830613359.png

and I disagree with adding Hydrogen Peroxide. I add beneficial bacteria, Southern Ag Garden Friendly Fungicide. It prevents root rot.

I dump the buckets out once a month, and they get rather funky towards the end, small pieces of root break off and start rotting in the bottom, the bottoms of the buckets will have a layer of slime.

Some of my buckets are white and will grow some algae, but its never enough to cause any issues between the one month cycle of water changes.

Back