New Grower - I really need some advice (is my set up okay?)

That setup will grow you some nice weed. The light is perfect for your space, and will serve well combined with another similar one if you decide to try a bigger tent later. Ditto for your extraction fan and filter. You will also need a circulation fan or two. You can make scrap computer fans do the job if you like. I have no idea about the pH meter, but the price suggests it might be ok. However, I would be a bit careful there if I were you - get some independent reviews before getting out the credit card.

Forget the CO2 - you have a fair number of grows to do before there is much chance of that doing you any good even if you were set up for using it, which I suggest you are not. If your local hydro shop is flogging CO2 to you for a first grow, I would be careful about their other advice. Additional CO2 is only relevant if you have all other limiting factors dialed to the max perfectly and that is not gonna hoppen for a few grows. Further, unless you are growing in a completely sealed grow space with climate control of temperature and RH, you are unlikely to raise CO2 much with these small appliances anyway. Keep in mind here that your 2x2 is not sealed, and you are going to have to pump large quantities of air through the tent all the time. It is not just the tent volume that you would need to increase CO2 in, it is the entire room the tent is in, or to some extent the entire house given that it is unlikely that your lung room is isolated. IMO, at this point in your grow hobby, CO2 is a waste of money as well as an unnecessary distraction from taking care of other factors in your grow.

Speaking of other environmental factors, keeping your plants in optimum VPD is important if you want a good grow. What hardware is required to accomplish that will depend on the environmental conditions you are starting with. If your local conditions are humid, you may need a dehumidifier, and it will need to be big enough to deal with your entire lung room at minimum. Ditto with temperature. If your local conditions are too hot, you may need AC to keep things on track. Quite aside from targetting optimum VPD, you need to keep RH lower during late flowering or you risk mold.

As to the risk of overkill, I would say don't sweat it. The main items on your list will transfer easily to a larger grow if the bug really bites, and if you stick with the current size, they will do the job well for a long time. I think your money is better spent this way than going as cheap as you can and then tossing stuff after a decision to upgrade.

All just my 2 cents of course... Good luck with the new grow, and remember to ask for help early if plants show signs of problems.
:pighug:
Awesome. I have a tower fan that is about 1m tall that I plan to use. It also has temp setting functions so I can use it to keep a temp if needed.

I will drop the CO2. I mean temp wise, I'm in Australia and even in winter we are lucky to get to single digits ever. After insulation, heat from lights, being indoors I don't think I will have any issue with temps, save for keeping them low enough. Is there any work around aside from getting aircon? That seems like a costly gambit.

Really appreciate the advice, thank you heaps!!

When it's legal, and you have dispensaries popping up everywhere it won't be 500 an oz anymore!

I live just up the street from the "home of the 15 dollar eigth". What your paying an oz will be wholesale price of a lb then.
Won't be good weed.... but its cheap.

& I agree with olderfart, drop the CO2 bags. CO2 is for when your skills can't be increased, and you've maxed out everything else... then its bottles or generators. Those bags are made to move the money from your pocket to theirs.
I hope you're right my dude. Any other tips you can offer me I am all ears!! Thanks man. Cheers n beers

I hope you're right my dude. Any other tips you can offer me I am all ears!! Thanks man. Cheers n beers
Dry and cure... plans? You can ruin a grow that you put in almost 3 months work in a few days if not done right.
It's a bummer when you crack a jar and smell hay. Don't wait till you cut them to figure it out!

Optimal would be around 70* and 60% rH for 7 to 9 days. Have heard good things about those "weed dryers" available, I think there's a few members that have them. I just can't do it tho... I want it hung dry and glass jar cured.

Awesome. I have a tower fan that is about 1m tall that I plan to use. It also has temp setting functions so I can use it to keep a temp if needed.

I will drop the CO2. I mean temp wise, I'm in Australia and even in winter we are lucky to get to single digits ever. After insulation, heat from lights, being indoors I don't think I will have any issue with temps, save for keeping them low enough. Is there any work around aside from getting aircon? That seems like a costly gambit.

Really appreciate the advice, thank you heaps!!
You have some leeway with temps, as long as you can control RH. Your target RH depends on temperature, and vice versa. However, if you can't keep your temps below 30C, you have a problem. Anything up to that with RH adjusted accordingly should be doable. Ideally, you want to keep the plants at a stable temperature and an optimum RH for VPD. Something in the mid-ish 20's Centigrade with RH from ~70% down to ~40% depending on grow stage is the general idea.

As to the tower fan, you may get away with it in your space, but it could be tight. I would be careful about using that unit to heat the tent - blowing hot air directly on your plants might not be a good plan. Others here may be able to advise more on that, but direct heater output blowing on the plants is something that I have avoided. It is possible that you would be better off heating the room the tent is in rather than trying to heat the inside of the tent.

Good luck with it mate, and good on you for getting advice early. :pighug:

I popped over to weedmaps and looked at the menu for a shop that's about 5 miles from me. There's 2 others between, but this one looks to be run better. 20$ eigths and 130 oz. Still feels odd driving past billboards with weed adds. kinda surreal after so many years in the dark.
Screenshot_20210401-083028_Chrome.jpg

You have some leeway with temps, as long as you can control RH. Your target RH depends on temperature, and vice versa. However, if you can't keep your temps below 30C, you have a problem. Anything up to that with RH adjusted accordingly should be doable. Ideally, you want to keep the plants at a stable temperature and an optimum RH for VPD. Something in the mid-ish 20's Centigrade with RH from ~70% down to ~40% depending on grow stage is the general idea.

As to the tower fan, you may get away with it in your space, but it could be tight. I would be careful about using that unit to heat the tent - blowing hot air directly on your plants might not be a good plan. Others here may be able to advise more on that, but direct heater output blowing on the plants is something that I have avoided. It is possible that you would be better off heating the room the tent is in rather than trying to heat the inside of the tent.

Good luck with it mate, and good on you for getting advice early. :pighug:
I like your suggestion. Maybe I'll use a couple of clip fans inside and the tower fan outside to keep temp up in winter (coming months). Realistically I was planning to use the tower fan for cool breezes on the ladies, not so much to heat.

What's the best way to controll RH? Water in drip trays? Humidifier? Something i haven't thought of? So much googling to do...

Would you prefer a garage or unused bathroom to grow? Those are my options. Bathroom to me seems the most practical, but also it may flood the house with the glorious smell of bud and my in laws are crazy anti all drugs (what a match).

Interest to hear ya 2c in the above.

Cheers n beers

Thanks dude, yeah it really shits me hard when you want anything but bag seed buds and you get stung with 350-600. I almost get offended at myself from smoking it... you growing 2 plants in your set up? What wattage? Am I in the same ball park, relatively?
I have multiple setups. I have a 2x2.5 that I usually run 4 small plants in with 180 watts. I have two 2x4 tents as well. I usually do 2 plants in auto pots because they get quite large. I have a HLG Diablo that's 250 watts in one and a Chilledtech X2 in the other thats 330 watts.

IMO co2 should only be used if you're pushing over 1000osh ppfd. At that point the plants are limited by the Co2 levels.

I popped over to weedmaps and looked at the menu for a shop that's about 5 miles from me. There's 2 others between, but this one looks to be run better. 20$ eigths and 130 oz. Still feels odd driving past billboards with weed adds. kinda surreal after so many years in the dark. View attachment 1303018
This is before the excise tax in your state, right? Do you live in a rec. state?

I popped over to weedmaps and looked at the menu for a shop that's about 5 miles from me. There's 2 others between, but this one looks to be run better. 20$ eigths and 130 oz. Still feels odd driving past billboards with weed adds. kinda surreal after so many years in the dark. View attachment 1303018
See this kind of shit blows my mind. I studied at Berkeley as part of my degree and this was the type of everyday things I saw and holy sh*t I was in paradise. I can't wait till we have this here. I am heavily invested in a number of AUS canna and other drug companies (shrooms and lsd) so I keep an eye at all times on the laws as the change. Our capital allows you to grow, but not to sell or gift buds once the plant gives buds...But hey, one step at a time.

I have multiple setups. I have a 2x2.5 that I usually run 4 small plants in with 180 watts. I have two 2x4 tents as well. I usually do 2 plants in auto pots because they get quite large. I have a HLG Diablo that's 250 watts in one and a Chilledtech X2 in the other thats 330 watts.

IMO co2 should only be used if you're pushing over 1000osh ppfd. At that point the plants are limited by the Co2 levels.
Damn 2x2.5 @180w makes me think I am going crazy with my light choice. Will cross out the co2 for now. Thanks for the guidance!

Cheers n beers

Back