New Grower - I really need some advice (is my set up okay?)

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

New member and a new auto grower here.

I have only grown once, and that was legit me throwing seeds into my compost and out popped three plants which in turn gave buds and I made everything into butter as the buds were not super nice (I am a little picky as I have been spoilt by a friend's primo grown weed since being introduced to weed).

I have just bought my own house and I am looking to set up a little grow for my personal use. I suffer from chronic anxiety and stress and don't want to use any meds to balance me out when I have found weed works wonders. In addition to this, my mum has extreme pain (she is in and out of hospital most days) that I want to help placate by growing a strain suitable for that (maybe something high in CBD low in THC). Any advice on decent strains for any of the above would be good. I prefer sativas when I can get them.

Background:
- I live in Australia on the east coast.
- Due to my work, it is imperative that I not get caught growing (that would implode my career or any career thereafter).
- I have a good amount of money to use, but still not looking to blow the bank.
- I am planning to grow inside and just grow 1 or 2 plants at a time (I am a very conservative smoker).
- I usually work in an office, so I am away from 6am until 7pm (including travel) but have been doing Work from home for the last 12 months and this looks set to continue, so I can be somewhat involved and present in the grow process.

I have attached the grow kit I have been thinking of buying. Again, just planning to grow a maximum of 2 plants at a time. An ounce of weed could realistically last me 6 months, but I plan on helping some friends out also as weed prices are wild here ($350AUD+ for average buds).

The kit I am planning to buy is as follows
1. Tent - 80cm x 80cm x 160cm
2. 4 inch carbon filter, fan and piping (pumped into my spare bathroom and vented out throw windows/whirly bird)
3. 450W led lamp specs as follows (I have attached the par values of the light - they didn't have a PPFD map)
LED Quantities: 90pcs 5W LEDs
LEDs Angle: 90°
Frequency: 50-60Hz
Spectrum: 450mm-470nm, 620mm-630nm, 650mm-670nm, UV400-410, IR730, 6000k, 3000k
Modes: VEG ON, BLOOM ON

I am planning on growing auto flowers in felt pots with a Canna terra soil medium and using biobizz nutes.
I am planning on using one of those tower fans where you can set the temperature produced.
Also planning on getting a therm/humidity reader as well.

Just wanting to know if that set up should suffice for 1-2 plant grows or if the knowledge bank here can offer any guidance or alternatives. I have seen some vids on the Web, but I thought this was a better forum to field my question and as to if I am missing anything? I have read a bunch of books about growing so I feel I have a rough idea, but the knowledge in this community makes me seem like a single cell worth of knowledge.

I like to be prepared, if you can't tell

Thanks so much in advance everyone, I really really appreciate the help. Cheers from down under.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210330-211640_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210330-211640_eBay.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_20210330-212715_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210330-212715_eBay.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 55
Hey everyone,

New member and a new auto grower here.

I have only grown once, and that was legit me throwing seeds into my compost and out popped three plants which in turn gave buds and I made everything into butter as the buds were not super nice (I am a little picky as I have been spoilt by a friend's primo grown weed since being introduced to weed).

I have just bought my own house and I am looking to set up a little grow for my personal use. I suffer from chronic anxiety and stress and don't want to use any meds to balance me out when I have found weed works wonders. In addition to this, my mum has extreme pain (she is in and out of hospital most days) that I want to help placate by growing a strain suitable for that (maybe something high in CBD low in THC). Any advice on decent strains for any of the above would be good. I prefer sativas when I can get them.

Background:
- I live in Australia on the east coast.
- Due to my work, it is imperative that I not get caught growing (that would implode my career or any career thereafter).
- I have a good amount of money to use, but still not looking to blow the bank.
- I am planning to grow inside and just grow 1 or 2 plants at a time (I am a very conservative smoker).
- I usually work in an office, so I am away from 6am until 7pm (including travel) but have been doing Work from home for the last 12 months and this looks set to continue, so I can be somewhat involved and present in the grow process.

I have attached the grow kit I have been thinking of buying. Again, just planning to grow a maximum of 2 plants at a time. An ounce of weed could realistically last me 6 months, but I plan on helping some friends out also as weed prices are wild here ($350AUD+ for average buds).

The kit I am planning to buy is as follows
1. Tent - 80cm x 80cm x 160cm
2. 4 inch carbon filter, fan and piping (pumped into my spare bathroom and vented out throw windows/whirly bird)
3. 450W led lamp specs as follows (I have attached the par values of the light - they didn't have a PPFD map)
LED Quantities: 90pcs 5W LEDs
LEDs Angle: 90°
Frequency: 50-60Hz
Spectrum: 450mm-470nm, 620mm-630nm, 650mm-670nm, UV400-410, IR730, 6000k, 3000k
Modes: VEG ON, BLOOM ON

I am planning on growing auto flowers in felt pots with a Canna terra soil medium and using biobizz nutes.
I am planning on using one of those tower fans where you can set the temperature produced.
Also planning on getting a therm/humidity reader as well.

Just wanting to know if that set up should suffice for 1-2 plant grows or if the knowledge bank here can offer any guidance or alternatives. I have seen some vids on the Web, but I thought this was a better forum to field my question and as to if I am missing anything? I have read a bunch of books about growing so I feel I have a rough idea, but the knowledge in this community makes me seem like a single cell worth of knowledge.

I like to be prepared, if you can't tell

Thanks so much in advance everyone, I really really appreciate the help. Cheers from down under.
i started off with one of these kits and i replaced every item i got besides the tent there generally all just cheap bits and bobs thrown together also the lights are old style blurples i would be looking at mars hydro if your on a budget also let me tag a couple of folks in to get some advice @Nelly Nugs @hope2grow @damien50 @Mañ'O'Green also a couple of these are USA based so they may not reply till maybe 5 or 6 hours

Hi how much do you want to spend roughly and like @St. Tom said you can get kits that you will just end up replacing every item. Buy each bit separately go direct to manufacturers for better deals and get 6 inch extraction because you will struggle to get rid of heat with 4 inch. This mini set up cost me about £240 thats with a 4inch extract and im struggling with temps
16171074743627847935255415034849.jpg

i started off with one of these kits and i replaced every item i got besides the tent there generally all just cheap bits and bobs thrown together also the lights are old style blurples i would be looking at mars hydro if your on a budget also let me tag a couple of folks in to get some advice @Nelly Nugs @hope2grow @damien50 @Mañ'O'Green also a couple of these are USA based so they may not reply till maybe 5 or 6 hours
Dang that is a real bummer to hear. I already looked into a Mars set up so that was already in the mix. I really appreciate the guidance and your time in replying to me.

In relation to nutes, I don't plan on using any until week 3 or so. But am I correct in assuming I should add my nutes to PH balanced water and then rebalance after adding nutes to come in at the right range of PH? Do I need to worry about run off or anything like that? I am using soil. I only decided to change to an indoor grow approx last week, so everything I have previous read was for outdoor grows so these items hadn't really come into it.

Thanks again mate, truly!

Hi how much do you want to spend roughly and like @St. Tom said you can get kits that you will just end up replacing every item. Buy each bit separately go direct to manufacturers for better deals and get 6 inch extraction because you will struggle to get rid of heat with 4 inch. This mini set up cost me about £240 thats with a 4inch extract and im struggling with tempsView attachment 1302205
Roger that. Realistically I could spend $500-$1000 in total for everything (kit, seed, nutes etc) without getting my ass handed to me by my wife. Will sus out Mars hydro and come back to y'all with my thoughts and findings. Again, I REALLY appreciate the wisdom and time you took to help me out. I will pay it forward to the next noob who asks similar questions.

@RustyStarbuck72 he's another great soil grower I use Coco so I can't advise but one of these guys should be able to help you out they pop in daily so will come in here eventually

For 1 to 2 plants, a 2x4 would be plenty. The light is on the lower end, that, I would switch out. An hlg 260w quantum board would be my #1 choice for a 2x4 (32 watts per sq ft.) They are about 350$ US, but the lighting is the engine of your grow, so, a 1000hp blown small block? Or a moped?

The tent doesn't need to be terribly expensive, I've been running an Apollo 4x4 (a hundred dollar tent) for a little over 5 years, no issues with it.
Get a good carbon filter and a good extraction fan if getting busted is an issue... smells wafting through the neighborhood has been the downfall of many a grow.
Correcting pH is the last thing you do before feeding.

You're a legend. I will hang around this thread whilst I do more research. I feel like the safe bet is to spend more money, and go with individual pieces rather than a kit.

What's the main difference in growing between coco and soil?

Regarding the carbon filter Ive used lots I use a 5 inch rvk for extraction in a 4x4 so slightly bigger than yours but as Arthur says you carbon filter is a must rhino do petty good ones and even do a set with both

For 1 to 2 plants, a 2x4 would be plenty. The light is on the lower end, that, I would switch out. An hlg 260w quantum board would be my #1 choice for a 2x4 (32 watts per sq ft.) They are about 350$ US, but the lighting is the engine of your grow, so, a 1000hp blown small block? Or a moped?

The tent doesn't need to be terribly expensive, I've been running an Apollo 4x4 (a hundred dollar tent) for a little over 5 years, no issues with it.
Get a good carbon filter and a good extraction fan if getting busted is an issue... smells wafting through the neighborhood has been the downfall of many a grow.
Correcting pH is the last thing you do before feeding.

I will look into a better light. I think $350 USD (approx $500AUD) is a large chunk for a single piece. I hear what you are saying though. The things I feel I cannot skimp on are the light and filter/extraction. Will see if I can find a light + filter/fan for approx $500, as I think it makes it more economical for me. What would be your next step down from the hlg 260w? Any preferred brands for carbon filters? The internet is swarming with BS about what actual brands are good, people plugging brands for kick back etc. So asking the growers here gives me the biggest confidence in the suggestions.

Back