New Grower - I really need some advice (is my set up okay?)

This is before the excise tax in your state, right? Do you live in a rec. state?
That's tax included (just this shop, it's how they advertise). Am in Ca. When it went rec, they fucked the medical community hard. I used to be able to purchase a 1000mg chocolate bar for about 30$ tax exempt. When they went rec, they limited mg in edibles to 100mg, and added in an excise tax... so to get the same amount of medicine, I now had to buy 10 bars at 30$ each + tax.
(Moms meds before she passed)

Give me the good ol' black market days anytime.

I like your suggestion. Maybe I'll use a couple of clip fans inside and the tower fan outside to keep temp up in winter (coming months). Realistically I was planning to use the tower fan for cool breezes on the ladies, not so much to heat.

What's the best way to controll RH? Water in drip trays? Humidifier? Something i haven't thought of? So much googling to do...

Would you prefer a garage or unused bathroom to grow? Those are my options. Bathroom to me seems the most practical, but also it may flood the house with the glorious smell of bud and my in laws are crazy anti all drugs (what a match).

Interest to hear ya 2c in the above.

Cheers n beers
Given the in-laws, I would go for the garage. OTOH, keeping temps and RH in the zone out there might be more difficult. Very hard to say without knowing what your environment will be like during your grow. Bottom line is that keeping your temps and RH under control is job 1 after providing light and nutes/medium. If that can't be done in the garage, you are left with the bathroom.

Keep in mind that even with your extraction fan and filter, there will be noticeable odor in the house at times, especially to someone entering the house for a visit. Even if your filter is perfect, if you open the zip to have a look or tend to plants, the lung room will get smelly for a while, and it will get into the rest of the house to some degree. If you are dealing with hostile in laws, your garage is your best bet, but you will have to sort out how to keep temps and RH in bounds, and keep the in-laws out of the garage.

I only have one issue with RH during my winter grow - keeping it high enough. I have used two methods, a small humidifier, and a container of water with a wet towel hanging into it and a fan directed at the towel. I prefer the towel method. If your issue is high humidity, your only option is a dehumidifier, and it might as well be in the lung room not the tent.

Keep the questions coming... :pighug:

That's tax included (just this shop, it's how they advertise). Am in Ca. When it went rec, they fucked the medical community hard. I used to be able to purchase a 1000mg chocolate bar for about 30$ tax exempt. When they went rec, they limited mg in edibles to 100mg, and added in an excise tax... so to get the same amount of medicine, I now had to buy 10 bars at 30$ each + tax.
(Moms meds before she passed)

Give me the good ol' black market days anytime.
Nice that they post it with tax included. Michigan is quite expensive still. Usually around $50 -60 for a good top shelf eighth. Carts are extremely popular in my area. $43 for a 1/2 gram :nono:

Nice that they post it with tax included. Michigan is quite expensive still. Usually around $50 -60 for a good top shelf eighth. Carts are extremely popular in my area. $43 for a 1/2 gram :nono:
Carts and concentrates. Bet it's 2/3rds of the market out here. I like concentrates, so don't get me wrong, but it's almost like they couldn't grow market quality nugs and sent it to another shop to have it turned into something salable. But they wouldn't do that... would they? :crying:

Carts and concentrates. Bet it's 2/3rds of the market out here. I like concentrates, so don't get me wrong, but it's almost like they couldn't grow market quality nugs and sent it to another shop to have it turned into something salable. But they wouldn't do that... would they? :crying:
I've heard only about the top 10% of flower makes it to market and the rest goes to concentrates.

Hey everyone,

New member and a new auto grower here.

I have only grown once, and that was legit me throwing seeds into my compost and out popped three plants which in turn gave buds and I made everything into butter as the buds were not super nice (I am a little picky as I have been spoilt by a friend's primo grown weed since being introduced to weed).

I have just bought my own house and I am looking to set up a little grow for my personal use. I suffer from chronic anxiety and stress and don't want to use any meds to balance me out when I have found weed works wonders. In addition to this, my mum has extreme pain (she is in and out of hospital most days) that I want to help placate by growing a strain suitable for that (maybe something high in CBD low in THC). Any advice on decent strains for any of the above would be good. I prefer sativas when I can get them.

Background:
- I live in Australia on the east coast.
- Due to my work, it is imperative that I not get caught growing (that would implode my career or any career thereafter).
- I have a good amount of money to use, but still not looking to blow the bank.
- I am planning to grow inside and just grow 1 or 2 plants at a time (I am a very conservative smoker).
- I usually work in an office, so I am away from 6am until 7pm (including travel) but have been doing Work from home for the last 12 months and this looks set to continue, so I can be somewhat involved and present in the grow process.

I have attached the grow kit I have been thinking of buying. Again, just planning to grow a maximum of 2 plants at a time. An ounce of weed could realistically last me 6 months, but I plan on helping some friends out also as weed prices are wild here ($350AUD+ for average buds).

The kit I am planning to buy is as follows
1. Tent - 80cm x 80cm x 160cm
2. 4 inch carbon filter, fan and piping (pumped into my spare bathroom and vented out throw windows/whirly bird)
3. 450W led lamp specs as follows (I have attached the par values of the light - they didn't have a PPFD map)
LED Quantities: 90pcs 5W LEDs
LEDs Angle: 90°
Frequency: 50-60Hz
Spectrum: 450mm-470nm, 620mm-630nm, 650mm-670nm, UV400-410, IR730, 6000k, 3000k
Modes: VEG ON, BLOOM ON

I am planning on growing auto flowers in felt pots with a Canna terra soil medium and using biobizz nutes.
I am planning on using one of those tower fans where you can set the temperature produced.
Also planning on getting a therm/humidity reader as well.

Just wanting to know if that set up should suffice for 1-2 plant grows or if the knowledge bank here can offer any guidance or alternatives. I have seen some vids on the Web, but I thought this was a better forum to field my question and as to if I am missing anything? I have read a bunch of books about growing so I feel I have a rough idea, but the knowledge in this community makes me seem like a single cell worth of knowledge.

I like to be prepared, if you can't tell

Thanks so much in advance everyone, I really really appreciate the help. Cheers from down under.
I got the Mars hydro (70x70x160cm) tent & ts600 LED for about £150 from eBay, bought aN inline fan, ducting and carbon filter for £75, got a brilliant little ceramic oscillating heater you can set the temp for £30 from Amazon and a 6” clip on oscillating fan for £15. Growing 2 purple lemonade and they’re now on day 9

Attachments

• F81AFA25-567A-4C58-80DF-F735DCCD8CBA.jpeg
    F81AFA25-567A-4C58-80DF-F735DCCD8CBA.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 29
  • 7566C284-ADAB-4698-96C8-C0683198F8B5.jpeg
    7566C284-ADAB-4698-96C8-C0683198F8B5.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 30
  • AB5A64C4-A838-4433-8CD6-7B51105FC356.jpeg
    AB5A64C4-A838-4433-8CD6-7B51105FC356.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 268F16A3-C50A-44A6-9F44-744BC429E6AF.jpeg
    268F16A3-C50A-44A6-9F44-744BC429E6AF.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 32
Given the in-laws, I would go for the garage. OTOH, keeping temps and RH in the zone out there might be more difficult. Very hard to say without knowing what your environment will be like during your grow. Bottom line is that keeping your temps and RH under control is job 1 after providing light and nutes/medium. If that can't be done in the garage, you are left with the bathroom.

Keep in mind that even with your extraction fan and filter, there will be noticeable odor in the house at times, especially to someone entering the house for a visit. Even if your filter is perfect, if you open the zip to have a look or tend to plants, the lung room will get smelly for a while, and it will get into the rest of the house to some degree. If you are dealing with hostile in laws, your garage is your best bet, but you will have to sort out how to keep temps and RH in bounds, and keep the in-laws out of the garage.

I only have one issue with RH during my winter grow - keeping it high enough. I have used two methods, a small humidifier, and a container of water with a wet towel hanging into it and a fan directed at the towel. I prefer the towel method. If your issue is high humidity, your only option is a dehumidifier, and it might as well be in the lung room not the tent.

Keep the questions coming... :pighug:
I definitely hear you about the garage, from my experience I think it will be pretty hard to control temp in a garage. My current one runs at 30c during the day if it is warm. So bringing the temp down could be problematic.

With the in laws I am at a point where I do not really care anymore...The world is changing, it ain't the 60s any more. Plus, I could be cooking something much worse than weed. But hey, gotta keep the peace.

Hmm I had not heard of the towel method. I like it though. Will research that a bit and make some notes.

Any recommendation on a first time simple strain to grow? Preferably sativa dominant and not giant (only have a max height of the tent being 160cm). I have researched this a bit, but the internet is a legit clusterf*ck with conflicting info so I am feeling a little confused...as always I appreciate your guidance and patience with me!

Cheers n beers

I got the Mars hydro (70x70x160cm) tent & ts600 LED for about £150 from eBay, bought aN inline fan, ducting and carbon filter for £75, got a brilliant little ceramic oscillating heater you can set the temp for £30 from Amazon and a 6” clip on oscillating fan for £15. Growing 2 purple lemonade and they’re now on day 9
This your first grow in the tent with autos? Will be keeping tabs on you mate. What made you decide on the ts600? Best of luck, hope you get some great buds.

Cheers n beers

I definitely hear you about the garage, from my experience I think it will be pretty hard to control temp in a garage. My current one runs at 30c during the day if it is warm. So bringing the temp down could be problematic.

With the in laws I am at a point where I do not really care anymore...The world is changing, it ain't the 60s any more. Plus, I could be cooking something much worse than weed. But hey, gotta keep the peace.

Hmm I had not heard of the towel method. I like it though. Will research that a bit and make some notes.

Any recommendation on a first time simple strain to grow? Preferably sativa dominant and not giant (only have a max height of the tent being 160cm). I have researched this a bit, but the internet is a legit clusterf*ck with conflicting info so I am feeling a little confused...as always I appreciate your guidance and patience with me!

Cheers n beers
I don't have enough experience to provide much useful on sativa strains. If you could get your mitts on some Cosmic Queen from Mephisto, I can certainly recommend that strain at about 12/10. It is wonderful, but good luck getting some. That is the only serious sativa that I have grown, my priority for the most part has been indicas or indica leaning hybrids. Others here might have more to offer on this.

Gathering decent information on the internet can be entertaining can it not? Clusterfork is a decent description. There is often great information there if you can find it, but for every really good source there are a dozen that are total bs. A grain or two of salt is always a good idea. :biggrin:

Back