Phonic Trap Ducting (Acoustic) - few q’s

MrAutoGrower

Learning as I grow
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
3Wok OG
I’ve ordered myself some phonic trap ducting and attached it to a 5” mixed flow rhino extracter.

I have yet to test noise dB but it still seems a bit noisy so far.

Right now I have my rhino filter attached directly to the fan using a fast clamp. I’m assuming this may generate more noise. Wondering if I should cut some ducting and connect the ducting to the filter then fan instead of using a fast clamp.

Has anyone set this ducting up before? Just want to make sure I’m doing everything right as I’ve never worked with this ducting before.

Not too much info on the trap ducting. I’ve wAtched two videos on YouTube but don’t explain too much.

Hey Mr, I use PhonicTrap - I have to say air movement is a noisy business :rofl:
I have my Filter directly on the fan then fan to ducting using clamps so same as you - in the end it still makes noise but it is for sure quieter then any regular ducting I have tried

Hey Mr, I use PhonicTrap - I have to say air movement is a noisy business :rofl:
I have my Filter directly on the fan then fan to ducting using clamps so same as you - in the end it still makes noise but it is for sure quieter then any regular ducting I have tried

What I’ve done so far is just connect some trap ducting to carbon filter, then to fan with fast clamp. It seems to have reduced the noise quite a bit. But I haven’t finished my setup just yet. So I am yet to attach the other end of the ducting to the fan and a vent. From there I’m hoping the noise will continue to drop

oh for sure, if any of it is open the noise will still be pretty high, if you are venting outside that's the best for noise, I cant do that so I have a silencer on the end of my ducting which just finishes it all off nicely

Im about finishing soundproofing my 6" fan, i have silencer on exhaust side. As far as i tested - using duct connectors to directly connect silencer and carbon filter to my filter made them vibrate - so i used a little ducting instead of connector and it solved it - best to use "phonic trap" as you have, air swooshing inside duct also make noise. You can use bigger duct on the exhaust side that will slow down air speed and noise, i guess if you use bigger diameter carbon filter it can also change sound (havent tested it yet). I also tried longer duct path beetwen carbon filter and fan - i heard less noise from carbon filter side. Im finishing soundproof box for fan (mdf board with aku-pr material inside).

Im finishing soundproof box
Depending on the fan I think they are important, oddly in my tent I use a Hyperfan and they are pretty quiet and they are tiny - but when I used to use an RVK I always boxed it - yours sounds a lot better constructed, but for reference and ease: I use a cardboard box, put all the fittings together then put the box around the fan, then I fill the cavity between the fan and box with expanding foam - I have one in my smoking room to keep the smell in the house clean after a blaze.
It silences the RVK very well, and then your mainly left with the sound of air moving
33C117A4-98BE-4D36-9904-2D1325CC3B2F.jpeg

Depending on the fan I think they are important, oddly in my tent I use a Hyperfan and they are pretty quiet and they are tiny - but when I used to use an RVK I always boxed it - yours sounds a lot better constructed, but for reference and ease: I use a cardboard box, put all the fittings together then put the box around the fan, then I fill the cavity between the fan and box with expanding foam - I have one in my smoking room to keep the smell in the house clean after a blaze.
It silences the RVK very well, and then your mainly left with the sound of air moving
View attachment 1523350
Yo

I understand why you have boxed the fan to create less noise, however this will actually cause your fan to over work/over heat. The temps will rise in there and it can be a fire hazard. Kinda the reason I never boxed my fan. Just thought I’d let you know in case you didn’t already know bro

Yo

I understand why you have boxed the fan to create less noise, however this will actually cause your fan to over work/over heat. The temps will rise in there and it can be a fire hazard. Kinda the reason I never boxed my fan. Just thought I’d let you know in case you didn’t already know bro
thanks :toke: - in the olden days that is how I did it, now I just use that sat in the room I smoke weed in, so it is only on when smoking and a few minutes after to empty the room of smoke

thanks :toke: - in the olden days that is how I did it, now I just use that sat in the room I smoke weed in, so it is only on when smoking and a few minutes after to empty the room of smoke
How good does it work with smell of smoking ? I putted new carbon filter inside a box and made a hole inside to exhale into. I wraped my carbon filter with HEPA sheet and after few joints i still smelled a little weed scent after coming back to the room after a while.

It works good enough, it is an old 150mm RVK fan attached to a long Carbo air filter - it works well enough, but I smoke a lot so there is a smell but nothing like it used to be - used to be a hot box in the room :crying:

Back